Do relationships drain your creativity?

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:06 am
At the moment, I cant be bothered with relationships. I am a very creative person and when im in a relatinship it completely drains it away.
Instead of thinking my own creative thoughts i just think about the person in question, and i cant be bothered to do that to myself.

Picasso did endless drawings of his wife, so she obviously enspired him. Is it just me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 885 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:08 am
Quote:
Is it just me?

The Pentacle Queen- No, I don't think that it is just you. Emotional embroilment would tend to sap a person's energy, thereby diminishing the creative process. It would vary from person to person though, according to his/her propensity to become carried away by an affair.

In the case of Picasso though, we are speaking about his wife. I think that if one goes beyond the stage of lustful amour, with its emotional moodswings, to a settled, permanent relationship, the loved person might very well become an inspiration.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:16 am
Whoa there!!

Ive not had a sniff(so to speak) of a man in 3 years and Im sat here trying to think up a great idea for a creative project.

I for one would love to be distracted by a gorgeous guy that I like and that likes me.
Hang creativity!!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:19 am
I think it depends on the particular person you have a relationship with, and the nature of your relationship.

If you're talking romance, it's common in the beginning of that type of rel to think of little but that person. Limerance is the term I believe. Limerance is more connected to infatuation than deep love though.

I find as mature love settles in, you still feel your heart leap for someone, but a able to also concentrate on your other needs.

In my love relationship, I happen to feel free to be creative, as he doesn't interfere with my process of being creative i.e. making suggestions.

In other relationships, friends, co-workers etc. it's harder to be creative unless I get to the point where I really have to tell someone I need to be alone. I'm not a linear thinker, and it's particularly disturbing to the process when someone, well meaning, sees what you are doing and tries to "help" by making the process rigid.

Don't give up on having a great love. In the end it should enhance your creativity.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:38 am
I prefer hanging with my dog as my wife needs to get out of my hair. So yes relationships absorb creative energy, and often don't return enough to warrant them. But they do supply comfort and solace and company, but then so can my dog Smile
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:34 am
Sounds to me like the relationship isn't the problem but it's your emotional behavior while in a relationship. Sure, a healthy relationship may take up some of your time that could be spent on a creative project but I've found, in my own experiences, that it's the troubling relationships, the one-sided ones, that may have disturbed my work. Funny, once I started working, the troubles of the relationship would fall to the wayside. The relationship was no longer the focus.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:30 am
Men get my creative juices flowing! The only potential problem is staying in bed and eating in good restaurants during times I could be working. I've gotten a lot better at putting myself high on the list of priorities though. Life needs balance.

Unless he's a bum and he exhausts me...then it's the boot for him.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:53 am
flushd- I love your attitude. Please may I transplant it into my brain? Or have it when you die?

Yeah- eoe is right. Its just me.
Notice how it is mainly women that replied to this thread. It says a lot. It just irritates me that when im seeing someone i think of them instead of me or my creativity. grrr.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:57 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
It just irritates me that when im seeing someone i think of them instead of me or my creativity. grrr.

But isnt that a nice thing.

Id love to have the opportunity to think about someone other than me.

You can always split up with the guy.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:08 am
Material girl:

Tonight: get dressed up, go out to a bar, sip a coctail and see what happens, report to me first thing tommorow morning, maybe a bit later if you dont wake up in your own bed, and tell me what happens.
Untill then stop complaining, and start planning what you are going to wear.

as for me, no thinking about other people irritates me, although yes it is a nice feeling. i think its probably because i just got out of a crap relationship a little more than a month ago, i didnt really have to much time to gather my bearings before i accidentally slept with someone on new year and broke all my resolutions in the first hour of january the 1st.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:16 am
I dont tend to sleep with complete strangers.
Sit at a bar like a lonely slapper, a 'billy no mates'.
If i did the only thing id be thinking about afterwards is why the hell did I sleep with someone that will no doubt never contact me again as he already got what he wanted.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:19 am
Well find someone you like then, not all guys are like that.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:26 am
I know they arnt its just tough meeting people as all my friends are attatched and we dont tend to go out clubbing/to pubs like we used to.
Ive thought about evening classes to meet people but I resent having to pay to meet people and dating agencies take the romance out of things.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:00 am
material,
Try to think of it this way:
It costs money to club/go to pubs. Even if you get a lot of drinks paid for.

I know what it's like when the girls start hooking up and there aren't a lot of single friends about and available when you are. You just got to be creative about meeting people. It can push you out of a comfort zone: which is scary sometimes but also exciting.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:05 am
Yep, Ive been trying to get out of my comfort zone for a long time.
I even went to a gym, obviously to help with fitness but I hope to get chatting to people there but no joy.
The only person that spoke to me was an annoying fitness trainer that thought it was a good idea to talk to me about my training when I was drenched in sweat and gasping for breath and could barely speak!It really annoyed me.
I do have to change my ways, I havnt met anybody new for about 3 years.

Ithought last night about doing evening classes just for one day during the weekend.Its cheaper and would be a start.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:10 am
That's great. Lots of people just give up. You're giving it a good go.

Yeah, I didn't have much luck at the gym either. At first, I thought there might be some prospects, but really the only friends I see there are the ones that come with me or I already know! So now I just go and do my exercise. I don't even want to talk to people when I'm there anymore - I just want to get through my drill. Laughing
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 03:37 am
yeah material girl, and if you choose a subject which you are really passionate about, then you stand more chance of meeting someone with something in common with you.

And maybe its not best to meet people at the gym when your covered in sweat....
0 Replies