Robertson Links Sharon Stroke, God's Wrath

yitwail

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:28 pm
yup, he's with Pop Scott now. no more lectures about pyramid inches. wonder what happened to his stamp collection, quarter horses, and what not.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:35 pm
He was actually fascinating at times! He's still on late night here, no kidding. His foundation must still be chasing the bucks!

Anon
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:39 pm
then it's still not too late send some bucks, anon. Razz
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:40 am
Momma Angel wrote:
There is the Jewish nation and there is the Jewish faith (I suspect a lot are both, don't you?). So, if someone from the Jewish nationality or faith became Christian does that make them any less a Jew?

Of course it does. This notion that there is a distinction between the Jewish "nation" and the Jewish religion is just so much nonsense. If there is any such thing as a Jewish "nation," its membership is restricted to those who adhere to the Jewish religion. Any Jew who professes a belief in Jesus Christ as the messiah is not a Jew, and, perforce, not a member of the Jewish "nation."
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:53 am
snicker, snicker
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:20 am
From today's Washington Post

Quote:
Robertson{heart}Ahmadinejad

Saturday, January 7, 2006; A16

CHRISTIAN television evangelist Pat Robertson and the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, have a well-established affinity for the outrageous. This time their mutual embrace of indecency places them in a category all to themselves. As Ariel Sharon lies hospitalized and critically incapacitated by a massive stroke, Mr. Robertson, one of America's best-known religious extremists, and his Iranian counterpart -- no slouch when it comes to religious demagoguery -- suggested that Israel's prime minister had it coming. Speaking on his TV show, "The 700 Club," on the Christian Broadcasting Network, Mr. Robertson said the Bible "makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who 'divide my land.' " Mr. Sharon, Mr. Robertson asserted, "was dividing God's land, and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course." As Mr. Robertson was offering up his thoughts about a man fighting for his life, Iran's president was expressing unrestrained hope that Mr. Sharon would simply die.

Pat Robertson and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad are probably beyond the point where they can be reached by embarrassment or shame. But they are not beyond the kind of strong condemnation that they have richly earned. We need not recite the records of contemptible remarks made by both men in the past. There is little reason to believe that either will cease his disgraceful behavior. Mr. Ahmadinejad, the president of a country with a lamentable human rights record and a nuclear program, is dangerous, where Mr. Robertson is only pathetic. But they share a self-righteousness that blinds them to the distance that they have placed between themselves and the majority of people who find their remarks repulsive. It's sufficient to know, we suppose, that at a time when messages of hope are flowing from around the world to the bedside of Ariel Sharon, Pat Robertson and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad still have each other.
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:10 am
Quote:
Mr. Ahmadinejad, the president of a country with a lamentable human rights record and a nuclear program, is dangerous...,

LMAO, replace Ahmadinejad with ______ , hilarity ensues!!

Sorry couldn't resist.

Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:55 am
joefromchicago,

I still disagree. I have a friend who lives in Shreveport. She will tell you she is Jewish only in the respect of nationality/family lineage ~ straight from Israel. However, she says she is a Christian Jew.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
joefromchicago,

I still disagree. I have a friend who lives in Shreveport. She will tell you she is Jewish only in the respect of nationality/family lineage ~ straight from Israel. However, she says she is a Christian Jew.

"Christian Jew" is about as oxymoronic as "rap music," "temporary tax," or "compassionate conservative." I'll be generous and conclude that your friend is simply confused. That sounds much better than assuming she's an idiot.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:09 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
joefromchicago,

"Christian Jew" is about as oxymoronic as "rap music," "temporary tax," or "compassionate conservative." I'll be generous and conclude that your friend is simply confused. That sounds much better than assuming she's an idiot.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:16 pm
Would you assume these to be idiots or simply confused?

http://www.cjf.org/messianic_perspectives/webcast/Webcast_main.html
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
"Christian Jew" is about as oxymoronic as "rap music," "temporary tax," or "compassionate conservative."

i'm not sure about that, if "secular Jew" isn't an oxymoron. the last time i heard, secular Jews made up a plurality of Israelis. then there's this comment from a PBS show:

Quote:
Forty-five percent of American Jews are secular -- the highest rate of any religion. But "secular" includes people who may not practice their religion but who believe in God. Of secular Jews, 34 percent don't believe in God. Still, they consider themselves Jewish.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week609/feature.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:41 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
There is the Jewish nation and there is the Jewish faith (I suspect a lot are both, don't you?). So, if someone from the Jewish nationality or faith became Christian does that make them any less a Jew?

Of course it does. This notion that there is a distinction between the Jewish "nation" and the Jewish religion is just so much nonsense. If there is any such thing as a Jewish "nation," its membership is restricted to those who adhere to the Jewish religion. Any Jew who professes a belief in Jesus Christ as the messiah is not a Jew, and, perforce, not a member of the Jewish "nation."

I know quite a few people who consider themselves "jews," but who do not consider themselves followers of Judaism. Are you saying they are fooling themselves?

What identity are they qualified to claim?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:31 pm
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 04:16 pm
No definition of Judaism that I know of includes acceptance of Jesus as savior. Any Jew wanting to do that has every right to do so. But then he or she is a Christian.

Is a Christian still Christian if he worships Allah?

Let's stop the nonsense, Momma Angel, OK?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:07 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Would you assume these to be idiots or simply confused?

http://www.cjf.org/messianic_perspectives/webcast/Webcast_main.html

Idiots.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:12 pm
yitwail wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
"Christian Jew" is about as oxymoronic as "rap music," "temporary tax," or "compassionate conservative."

i'm not sure about that, if "secular Jew" isn't an oxymoron. the last time i heard, secular Jews made up a plurality of Israelis. then there's this comment from a PBS show:

Quote:
Forty-five percent of American Jews are secular -- the highest rate of any religion. But "secular" includes people who may not practice their religion but who believe in God. Of secular Jews, 34 percent don't believe in God. Still, they consider themselves Jewish.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week609/feature.html

I'm not entirely up on my Judaic theology, but if it is expected that all Jews actively practice their faith in order to be considered a Jew, and if "secular Jew" is defined as a person who had previously practiced the Jewish faith but no longer does so, then a "secular Jew" is synonymous with "non-Jewish Jew." It would, therefore, be as oxymoronic as a "christian Jew."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:21 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I know quite a few people who consider themselves "jews," but who do not consider themselves followers of Judaism. Are you saying they are fooling themselves?

I don't know them, but it's quite possible. Or they could simply be retarded. I'd have to know more about them to find out.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
What identity are they qualified to claim?

I have no idea. They could be identify themselves by their location, their hair color, their occupation, their hobbies, their sexual orientation, their favorite character from the "Our Gang" comedies -- what they couldn't do, however, is accurately identify themselves as Jews.

Really, I don't know why this is so difficult to grasp. Anyone who believes in the divinity of Jesus Christ cannot be a Jew, any more than he or she can be a Moslem, a Buddhist, a Zoroastrian, or an atheist. Likewise, someone who does not believe in the divinity of Christ can be all sorts of things, but s/he cannot be a christian.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:29 pm
Guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one, Joefromchicago. I only know there are people that call themselves Jewish Christians, for whatever reason. Good thing it's not up to me or you to decide who or what anything is. :wink:
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
if it is expected that all Jews actively practice their faith in order to be considered a Jew, and if "secular Jew" is defined as a person who had previously practiced the Jewish faith but no longer does so, then a "secular Jew" is synonymous with "non-Jewish Jew."

perhaps *you* expect all Jews to practice Judaism, but i suspect many Jews have no such expectation. my understanding is that anyone who's mother is Jewish is a Jew. by analogy with Christianity, i expect that most Christians would consider anyone who's been baptised to be Christian, regardless of an individual's lack of devotion.
0 Replies