Robertson Links Sharon Stroke, God's Wrath

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:45 pm
Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for "dividing God's land."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/01/05/national/a151232S80.DTL

I love this guy! Between him and Falwell, the Christian Right is well represented!!

Anon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,808 • Replies: 115
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:51 am
Robertson is a insane religious nut that has a large following.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:55 am
Just grateful he doesn't speak for all Christians.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:56 am
Anon, Some statements from your link.

Robertson spokeswoman Angell Watts said of critics who challenged his remarks, "What they're basically saying is, 'How dare Pat Robertson quote the Bible?'"

"This is what the word of God says," Watts said. "This is nothing new to the Christian community."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:58 am
Sorry, there is nothing in the Bible that says God gave Sharon a stroke to punish him.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:09 am
MA, i should hope not. Dr. Robertson's spokeswoman was apparently referring to Joel 3:2,

I will gather all nations
and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat.
There I will enter into judgment against them
concerning my inheritance, my people Israel,
for they scattered my people among the nations
and divided up my land.

Pat Robertson has a gift for making stupefying remarks, without losing his support base. Isn't it about time he got denounced by all Christians? If not now, when?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:14 am
Didn't he get the 700 Club from someone who went down? Was it Schwaggert?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:42 am
Pat Robertson should decide whether he is a politician or a man of God. I would pray that he choose politician and not assume to speak for God and Christians.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:44 am
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA- At this hour police are engaged in a multi-state manhunt for fugitive Rev. Pat Gordon Robertson after witnesses say he claimed another victim on Wednesday, an Israeli man named Arial Sharon. Authorities say Robertson is armed with something he calls "holy spirit" and should be considered very dangerous. Persons who happen to spot this malicious minister are instructed to notify the FBI immediately and not attempt to contact or interact with him in any way given the high potential for smiting.

State and federal law enforcement agents worked through the night on Thursday, combing the countryside near Robertson's CBN compound for clues to his whereabouts or perhaps evidence of further victims. So far, however, all investigators have managed to find are cryptic messages attempting to explain his grisly spree.

The hit on Sharon, for example, was supposedly an act of revenge related to a real estate deal gone bad, for what he called "splitting up God's land." He even put a contract out on an entire Pennsylvania town for allegedly turning its back on this "God" person.

Police have worked out that "God" is most likely Robertson's accomplice, the muscle in the organization. He goes by a great many aliases according to the FBI file: Jehovah, Jesus, Jesus' Dad, and will even answer to "Allah" on occasion. Noted crime author Arthur C. Clarke says there may be as many as nine billion such pseudonyms, though the true name has always been a mystery.

In fact, the cachet must be good for business because this God character appears to have gone through great pains to keep it secret all these years. Legend has it that the few people who have discovered it and attempted to pronounce it soon wound up dead.

Unfortunately for investigators seeking to apprehend the murderous pair, God has proven surprisingly elusive. In spite of rumors of being everywhere all the time, there has not been a confirmed sighting in recent memory. In fact, for a long time authorities dismissed Robertson's threats, assuming that he was making it all up- until this past year when people started dying.

In September of 2005 God and Robertson allegedly brought a torrent of wind and rain down on the Gulf Coast, trapping thousands of New Orlineans in the SuperDome for more than five days. Officials say that it is still unknown just how many people died.

When Robertson officially took credit for the attack during a CBN broadcast a few days later, he blamed the city's acceptance of homosexuality, but over time the whole affair began to look more and more a protection racket of some sort. Officials report that throngs of Americans fork over millions of dollars every week to pay homage to Robertson and his shadowy friend, an implied insurance policy against calamity.

Even this may not be all that it appears to be. Some have accused Robertson of hucksterism, citing a strange pattern in the timing of his threats. It would appear that Robertson predicts Godly retribution only after the fact and has not yet made a significant prediction of impending doom that has turned out to be accurate. However, the people who say these things are most likely dead or will be very soon, so it is difficult to take such idle chatter seriously.

One thing is sure, until this pair of serial smiters is caught, they will strike again though authorities confess they know not the day nor the hour.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:35 am
Intrepid wrote:
Pat Robertson should decide whether he is a politician or a man of God. I would pray that he choose politician and not assume to speak for God and Christians.

I myself would prefer that he choose neither.

Though I don't equate Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell to Christians overall, I do equate him with the far Christian right, probably because of their support base.

Thank Goodness the majority of Christians out there and the majority of Christians I know have enough common sense to see how unChristian these two men are.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:48 am
With Sharon fighting for his life...........

Robertson is one despicable human being.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:28 am
from patrobertson.com:

Quote:
According to his spokesperson, Angell Watts, Robertson is simply reminding his viewers what the Bible has to say about efforts made to divide the land of Israel.

She also expressed Dr. Robertson's outrage at People for the American Way, who have a clear left-wing political agenda and who, on an ongoing basis, lift his comments out of context and widely circulate them in an attempt to discredit him.

maybe we should implore Dr. Robertson to intercede with God so that those misguided leftists at People for the American Way be spared God's wrath. either that, or watch the clip of Dr. Robertson's remarks at the pfaw site before God vaporizes it:

http://media.pfaw.org/video/pfaw/pfawvideo.asp
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:54 am
Keep in mind that christian fundamentalists like Robertson support Israel because they believe that a Jewish state in the holy land is a prerequisite to the second coming of Jesus Christ, as set out in the Book of Revelation. Of course, all of the Jews will then be condemned to hell by the merciful, benevolent savior of the christians, but them's the breaks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
I just KNEW that there was a method to his madness! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:41 am
the latest, from AP:

WASHINGTON -- The White House sharply criticized Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson on Friday for suggesting that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for "dividing God's land."

"Those comments are wholly inappropriate and offensive and really don't have a place in this or any other debate," presidential spokesman Trent Duffy said as Bush traveled to Chicago for a speech.

http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-bush-robertson,0,3855637.story?coll=sns-ap-politics-headlines

gosh i hope Pat doesn't hear this and decide that God should punish the White House. on the other hand, since the administration supported "dividing God's land" as far as as i know, maybe it's too late.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:42 pm
joefromchicago,

Actually, ALL the Jews, as you stated, WILL NOT be condemned. (According to theologians.)
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
Maybe God will smite him dead for his lethal combination of arrogance, egotism, and political pandering.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:35 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
joefromchicago,

Actually, ALL the Jews, as you stated, WILL NOT be condemned. (According to theologians.)

Do tell, MA. Even the ones who don't accept Jesus as their lord and savior?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:39 pm
Did not say that, D'artagnan. Theologians believe there will be a great many Jews converting to Christianity and they will become great witnesses for the Lord during the tribulation.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Did not say that, D'artagnan. Theologians believe there will be a great many Jews converting to Christianity and they will become great witnesses for the Lord during the tribulation.

Aha. Only then they wouldn't be Jews anymore, would they?
0 Replies