Does God Exist?

Treya

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Setanta, got a question for you then... Does this mean you believe in a god then? After all you said you talked to her right?

Well, sorta . . . she's allatime followin' me aroun' and buggin' me . . . it ain't like i encourage her or nothin' . . .

Bwaaahaha! Your funny! Razz
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:02 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Mesquite,
I can only speak for myself, but as a Christian I do not condone homosexuality. However, neither do I condemn those who are. It is not my place to judge. If we are to belief that God is responsible for all of us being here, then he is also responsible for homosexuals being here. I do not believe that homosexuality is a learned trait, but rather something that is as much a part of the individual as intelligence, skin colour and hair is to the rest of us.

If a homosexual came to the doors of our church, I would welcome them as I would anybody else. I may not agree with their live style, but I don't agree with heterosexuals who cheat on their wives etc. either, but it is not my place to label them or judge them.

I couldn't have said this better myself Intrepid! Two thumbs up! Very Happy
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:14 pm
Sheesh, I left for a few hours with the thread on 9 pages, and come back to 16! Oh... by the way... Is it just me are did we veer slightly from our origional course on this thread?? (scratches her head)
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:15 pm
Hi hephzibah, welcome.

I must admit, it took me a bit to write your name, lol.

Wanda
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm
Thanks for the welcome wanda. Smile Don't feel bad about that... sometimes it takes me a bit to write my name too! Razz
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:36 pm
I'm the other one wrote:
mesquite wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Actually MA, I could give a rats ass what you like or dislike so long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others.

Then don't infringe upon ours.

That simple.

And your rights are being infringed upon how?

I can't believe I even have to answer that one! No answer I could ever give you would suffice for the fact you cannot see.

Can you honestly tell me how yours is?

As I expected, no answer.

I did not say that MY rights were being infringed. I was referring to religious bigots that insist upon forcing their world view onto OTHERS.

Here is how one couple was affected.
Quote:

Meet the Soterwoods

Edit:
The above link to an article that appeared in the local paper last month features real people and a slide show to help put faces on the quandary that same sex couples face when raising a family.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:11 am
Intrepid wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Mesquite,

Just to clarify something you posted. I did not say that I was fine with gay marriage. I am fine with gays as people and have no problem with them or them being together. The marriage thing is something that I have a bit of problem with because I believe it was meant for man and woman.

I happen to know both men and woman who are in same sex relationships, but I still struggle with the marriage part. Having said that, if it is lawful for them to do so then I am accepting of it.

I have no problem with gays in any way and would even welcome them into my home just as I would anybody else.

All Christians do not have the same views on all things but this does not make any of us lesser Christians.

Intrepid, I seem to recall your being a bit less wishy washy in the past, but just to clear this up....would you actively support legislation in Canada that would prevent or overturn the right to homosexual marriages/unions?

I didn't realize that I was being wishy washy, but I will answer your question. Canada has already passed the right to marry for homosexuals. We, the people, don't really get a say or vote. I would leave it to those who make those decisions and would not be actively either for or against. I believe that, as a Christian, it is my duty to support our governments whether I agree with them or not. When it gets into transgressing God's laws it becomes a bit muddied. I can only pray that my thoughts are not against God's laws.

Do you believe that God considers homosexual acts sinful Intrepid?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:01 am
Intrepid wrote:
echi wrote:
J_B wrote:

Sorry, I wondered about the 'her' as I typed it.

I really don't understand what believing in homosexuality means. Thanks,

No problem about the pronoun thing. I guess it isn't really important.

I haven't formed an opinion as to whether homosexuality has a biological basis or is only a behavior. But I know people who believe it is simply a choice that people make. To them, all people are fundamentally heterosexual, even though some deny their true nature and engage in homosexual behavior. Knowing these people as well as I do (those who don't believe in "homosexuality") I am absolutely certain that they are not all homophobics.

Echi,
Are you aware that every fetus starts out as a girl? The change to male and female takes place later in the cycle. Do you not think it possible that errant genes, or whatever...I am not a medical person... cause feminine traits in an otherwise fully developed male? Some of it may be by choice, but I think it is beyond that.

Genetically the male is a male and the female is a female from the moment of conception. There is no changeover from female to male during gestation.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:07 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
If god meant to declare homosexual act as sinful, he forgot to tell the other primates that they will also go to hell.

Some animals devour their young. Does that make it acceptable human behaviour?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:12 am
Some humans used to devour other humans.... Does that answer your q?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:31 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I wouldn't think so.

But gawsh!

It's good to have you back.

I thought maybe you had gone to jail for imposterizing. Smile
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:38 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
If god meant to declare homosexual act as sinful, he forgot to tell the other primates that they will also go to hell.

Some animals devour their young. Does that make it acceptable human behaviour?

No it doesn't. I didn't ask if they did it. I asked if an animal does something does that make it acceptable[/i] for humans. Does it?

Are you implying that cannibalism was, or is acceptable? Don't tell me that cannibals accepted it; is it acceptable?

Should animal behavior be the standard by which we measure acceptable human behaviour?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:39 am
Fact: The Donner Party ate other members to survive. Fact: In Fiji, the natives practiced cannibalism until about 100 years ago.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:06 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Fact: The Donner Party ate other members to survive. Fact: In Fiji, the natives practiced cannibalism until about 100 years ago.
Do you consider cannibalism acceptable since we see it in animal behavior?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:10 am
We all make our own choices from what we learn within the society in which we live. I don't judge other people's choices made to eat human flesh in the past. I can only control my own behavior. Natural and acceptable are subjective human choices.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 07:26 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
We all make our own choices from what we learn within the society in which we live. I don't judge other people's choices made to eat human flesh in the past. I can only control my own behavior. Natural and acceptable are subjective human choices.

Since you cannot even bring yourself to state that cannibalism is wrong, I wonder on what basis do you make the other judgements that I have heard from you condemning various actions of Christians, condemning political figures with whom you disagree......

On what basis do you come to the conclusion that anybody may be wrong about anything?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:07 am
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Since you cannot even bring yourself to state that cannibalism is wrong, I wonder on what basis do you make the other judgements that I have heard from you condemning various actions of Christians, condemning political figures with whom you disagree......

On what basis do you come to the conclusion that anybody may be wrong about anything?
Yeah, what you said.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:45 am
It's wrong when one person tries to enforce their personal (religious or political) beliefs on another person that results in denying them control over their own bodies or equal rights.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:15 am
Welcome back CI. Smile

I suppose you're right. It sure would be totally uncivil of me to suggest to someone who was considering blowing their husband's head off that it might be wrong of them and there would be consequences to follow. Silly me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:21 am
In most societies, blowing their husband's head off would be considered a felony/crime, but that's still the woman's choice. Maybe the guy was cheating and gave his wife HIV/AIDS - a sort of death penalty. .
0 Replies