Does God Exist?

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:26 am
Yeah... Ok... so then cheating gives someone the right, regardless of what the law states, to blow their husbands head off? You are right actually they do have that choice. However in doing so they are choosing the consequence of that action. Correct?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:27 am
Correct.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:29 am
So then who has done the greater wrong? The person who commits the action or the person who tried to warn them of the consequence of the action they were about to do?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:30 am
That would depend on the individual; everybody is different.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:31 am
Can you explain what you mean by that please?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:36 am
Think of it in terms of political and religious belief, the environment in which the individual lives, and how that individual would respond. The extremes might be "kill the bastard" to "I forgive him" and everything in between. It's one of those imponderables where we ourselves wouldn't know how we would respond under similar circumstances until we are faced with it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:40 am
The question of the existence of a God requires a deflinition of God that permits some kind of experience that supports an acceptance or rejection "his" existence. At present there is none, and, as such, the "God hypothesis" is a non-hypothesis because it is not, even in principle, falsifiable.
(I have not read the forgoing threads)
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:46 am
Excellent point CI. It is very easy to assume how we personally would respond to different situations. I happen to think this is the reason there is so much judgement floating around about different topics. People deciding within themselves, "Why... I never... I would never do such thing! Humph!" Regardless of which bandwagon they are on though. Religious, non-religious, somewhere in the middle. I suppose though that is what makes debating so interesting. But you said:

Quote:
It's wrong when one person tries to enforce their personal (religious or political) beliefs on another person that results in denying them control over their own bodies or equal rights.

So I want to understand something here though. It just seems to me that this comment could be implying that the only wrong is on the side of those pushing religous or political views. How about if we flip the coin and think about how it feels to those opposed to different issues because of religious or political views to have those same issues pushed on them by those who don't share the same political or religious views? I think it's a two way street personally.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:22 pm
Good points, C.I. (and welcome back). We tend to confound the violation of laws and morals of our own society/culture (e.g.,murdering one's spouse) with our evaluations of behaviors in radically different cultures. Head hunting, cannibalism, human sacrifice, senilicide and infanticide are "alien" customs that I personally reject, but I do not consider them to be absolutely wrong--because I do not see ANY values (even those I vigorously endorse) to be absolutes. All such norms are culture bound.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:45 pm
Most thhings we abide by are two-way streets. However, the bottom line is our ability at freedom of choice within certain boundaries that do not impinge on others.

Have a smoke - but not in my house.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 05:57 pm
So. We do have free will?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 07:50 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
We all make our own choices from what we learn within the society in which we live. I don't judge other people's choices made to eat human flesh in the past. I can only control my own behavior. Natural and acceptable are subjective human choices.

Since you cannot even bring yourself to state that cannibalism is wrong, I wonder on what basis do you make the other judgements that I have heard from you condemning various actions of Christians, condemning political figures with whom you disagree......

On what basis do you come to the conclusion that anybody may be wrong about anything?

It's wrong when one person tries to enforce their personal (religious or political) beliefs on another person that results in denying them control over their own bodies or equal rights.

So how is cannibalism 'having control over one's OWN body'? Apparently you can't tell the difference between one's OWN body and the body of another (same problem you have on the abortion issue, you ignore the medical fact that the unborn has his OWN body as well).

So cannibalism is ok with you then? And murder might be a bit distasteful, but apparently you have no firm convictions against it either, based on your post about the wife killing her husband.

But there are some things you consider wrong and you do judge others based on your standard of what you believe is right and wrong. We could easily pull together MANY quotes where you have done so. (For instance you believe it is WRONG to deny someone an abortion if they want one.)

So my question is, on what basis do you determine right from wrong, and why do you deny that you do it when you obviously do?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:11 pm
real life, Go back and reread what I wrote about cannibalism. You missed it - obviously - like many other things.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:15 pm
Gee, CI, are you a cannibal? I'd have never known.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:18 pm
Careful who's listening whan you say 'Bite me'. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:16 pm
JLN gets it: "We tend to confound the violation of laws and morals of our own society/culture (e.g.,murdering one's spouse) with our evaluations of behaviors in radically different cultures. Head hunting, cannibalism, human sacrifice, senilicide and infanticide are "alien" customs that I personally reject, but I do not consider them to be absolutely wrong--because I do not see ANY values (even those I vigorously endorse) to be absolutes. All such norms are culture bound."
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Most thhings we abide by are two-way streets. However, the bottom line is our ability at freedom of choice within certain boundaries that do not impinge on others.

Have a smoke - but not in my house.

Dang it all... that's it... I know I ain't ever coming to visit you! LOL

Fair enough, as long as it's realized that there is freedom of choice within certain boundaries on both sides that can be infringed upon. :wink:
0 Replies