MALE MENOPAUSE FROM A WOMAN'S POINT OF VIEW

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 05:12 am
Our partners and friends may observe changes in us before we do. I am hoping the ladies will comment.

Quote:
SYMPTOMS

The symptoms of male menopause are similar to the ones women experience and can sometimes be as overwhelming. However, the male menopause does not affect all men, at least not with the same intensity. Approximately 40 % of men between 40 and 60 will experience some degree of lethargy, depression, increased irritability, mood swings, hot flushes, insomnia, decreased libido, weakness, loss of both lean body mass and bone mass (making them susceptible to hip fractures) and difficulty in attaining and sustaining erections (impotence).

LINK TO THE COMPLETE ARTICLE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,403 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:04 pm
Mapleleaf, I'm not sure I understand your question.

I agree with all of the symptoms except the "hip fractures" which is common in all older people, male or female, and is not necessarily a sign of menopause.

I also think men go thru their menopause faster than some women do. It sometimes lasts for years in females, which is not funny:)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 04:24 am
Maybe that explains the lack of postings. Culturally, a woman's menopausal period is a known factor that saturates the media. I'm not sure that men see themselves that way. You don't hear about it in jokes or casual conversations. Women may be more knowledgeable of the changes in men than men.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 05:29 am
Quote:
You don't hear about it in jokes or casual conversations. Women may be more knowledgeable of the changes in men than men.

The problem is, that women's lives are not as outwardly sexually driven as men's. Men have been taught from boyhood that extreme sexuality is very desirable, that it makes you a REAL MAN. Women will talk to each other about their "hot flashes", lack of desire, etc. Men usually won't, because in many cases their egos are too tightly wound up with their sexuality.

Like most things in life, I believe that male menopause is a combination of genetics and culture. It is true that there is a lessening of sexual powers due to hormonal changes in the aging male. How these changes AFFECT the male, and his life has more to do with the way that he perceives himself.

Middle age is a difficult time for males. Many men, at 40 or so, realize that they have probably reached nearly the peak of their accomplishments. If they never DID become a rocket scientist, never became the best salesman in their company, never did quit their job and go into the businees that they had always wanted, there is a good chance that they never will. On top of this, there is the decrease in sexual drive and energy. Maybe the children are grown, so there is less to bind the man to his wife. All these factors can be the cause of depression, which will intensify sexual difficulties.

A man who has always been secure within himself, who does not ascribe value to being a "sex machine", who is happy about how his life has turned out, will have little difficulty is getting through the male menopause. It is those who have never really felt fulfilled, has never reached his potential, who will have a difficult time dealing with this crucial stage of life!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 10:39 am
Phoenix, makes sense.
0 Replies