why ten commandments

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 06:55 pm
http://www.georgecarlin.com/home/home.html
I had never heard of this book until now.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
How can I speak for other Christians? ]

I wonder about that each time I read one of your posts.

You speak for yourself, MoAn. If other Christians agree with you, they are certainly free to say that - but you simply can't portray your views as those of Christians. You represent yourself - perhaps some other Christians on some particular issues - but not all Christians on all issues.

Most of us are able to express our own opinions.

~~~~~~~

Now, on the upside, for me, is that reading your posts makes me review my own feelings about being a Christian - which I think is my obligation, every day.

ehBeth,

Perhaps you should have put my answer to that question also.

I never said I spoke for all Christians on anything. And I have already said they don't have to agree with me either. It's not uncommon at all for Christians to have differing views.

You be the kind of Christian you are and I will be the kind of Christian I am. I don't put you down because of it and I don't appreciate you putting me down for it either.

I speak up if something offends me. So what? Seems like that is everyone's right to do on A2K and I think most posters will point that out at least once in awhile.

Noddy,

Thank you very much. I appreciate that. I am trying. I really am.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:25 pm
Actually, I have a great idea!!!!

Let's make a deal, this is fair to everyone.

We keep out of this Section, and the religious leave their Religion in here! For us ... no trespassing in their little heaven ... for them ... No religion and GOD talk outside if it!!

How's that for a deal??

Anon
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
no deal the religious don't have a monopoly on religion
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
Create another section and call it "Common Sense"

Anon
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:37 pm
the interaction is good

who know's ma may convert me Shocked

or i may convert her Twisted Evil

Very Happy
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
There's no converting ma, she's strong in her faith and so am I and some others here.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:41 pm
djjd62,

You totally misunderstand. I cannot convert anyone nor am I trying to. It's just a forum where people exchange opinions, ideas, beliefs, etc. In my opinion, I think some are pretty offensive. So? I'm sure you and others feel the same way about some also. :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:07 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
http://www.georgecarlin.com/home/home.html
I had never heard of this book until now.

I've heard of it but never read it, mostly because I think Carlin is usually pretty funny and scathing during his stand-up, but in book form, he just doesn't do it for me.

Although I do think "When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops?" has got to be one of the greatest book titles of all time. Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:54 am
i thought "brain droppings", his first(?) book, was hilarious...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
Just thought I would poke my head in here and see what all the fuss is about.

First, I would agree with an earlier poster who wondered why this post is here instead of in the humor forum. Seems that is more properly where it belongs since the only point in the original post was to poke fun at (ie make a joke about) the ten commandments.

MA, as far as taking offense to it, I certainly would agree that making a joke about God's word can be offensive to some of us. And to many others it is not any more offensive than telling any other joke that pokes fun at a group of people or beliefs. I think we are right to point out to others when we are offended, but then it is probably best to move on to other threads and not return to the topic. Why keep letting others draw you into arguing about something that gives them great pleasure in getting you upset? I would simply state that as a Christian I take offense and then leave the topic for those who find great joy in ridiculing God and Christians. Go to a thread where there is real discussion going on as opposed to talking about some joke.

While some think Carlin is funny, I tend to be kinda old school and believe comedy is best when the language used is not full of words of an improper nature (think Red Skelton, Andy Griffith, etc and you would have my idea of funny comedy pegged).

Oh well, guess that is enough chiming in for me for now. I'll leave y'all to your joking about the ten commandments. Oh, one other thing. I do thank you djjd62 for cleaning up the monologue by Carlin. That was kind of you. (Really, I'm not trying to be funny or anything.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:28 pm
CoastalRat wrote:

MA, as far as taking offense to it, I certainly would agree that making a joke about God's word can be offensive to some of us. And to many others it is not any more offensive than telling any other joke that pokes fun at a group of people or beliefs. I think we are right to point out to others when we are offended, but then it is probably best to move on to other threads and not return to the topic. Why keep letting others draw you into arguing about something that gives them great pleasure in getting you upset? I would simply state that as a Christian I take offense and then leave the topic for those who find great joy in ridiculing God and Christians. Go to a thread where there is real discussion going on as opposed to talking about some joke.

I agree CR. I'm beginning to think I've lost my sense of humor. I find very little of what is supposedly funny to be humorous. Every once in a while I'll catch a pun or inuendo that makes me laugh, but count me among those who take offense at any 'joke' that pokes fun at a group of people or beliefs. I used to have a sense of humor, I wonder where it went? Confused
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:34 pm
J_B wrote:
I agree CR. I'm beginning to think I've lost my sense of humor. I find very little of what is supposedly funny to be humorous. Every once in a while I'll catch a pun or inuendo that makes me laugh, but count me among those who take offense at any 'joke' that pokes fun at a group of people or beliefs. I used to have a sense of humor, I wonder where it went? Confused

I lost my sense of humor when the Republican Party stole the 2000 election!

Anon
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:18 pm
Blessed are you when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:

Be glad and rejoice for your reward is very great in heaven

Matthew 5:11-12
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 06:01 pm
No need to be a buch of sour pusses.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 06:19 pm
ehBeth wrote:
...Now, on the upside, for me, is that reading your posts
makes me review my own feelings about being a Christian - which I think is
my obligation, every day.

Well, dang, ehBeth!
Love ya, gal.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:00 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
So stand up for yourself where you are threatened. Nothing going on here to be upset about.

edgar,

That first post makes fun of the Ten Commandments. You may find it funny. Others may find it funny. I and others do not find it funny and I assure you, God does not find His word being perverted for your pleasure funny at all.

I am not so sure that George was really trying to be funny with that piece. He sounds downright serious.

Momma Angel wrote:
Like I said, you want us to keep religion away from you? Then stay away from us! This is the Spirituality & Religion Forum NOT THE ATHEIST FORUM! So, if you come in here expect to hear about God. If you make fun of God, expect to hear it's not acceptable. You and others have told me that I should expect the kind of posting that ridicules God and believers in the Spirituality & Religion Forum. Fine, I expect it. But I'm not going to sit quietly by while you and others slander God, His Holy Word, or His Children!

I agree that we should not be slandering his word. We should be quoting more of it straight up. There is no need to further dirty up what is already there. Since this thread is about the ten commandments, I always thought that the 2nd was a fair character descriptor.

God wrote:
4: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
bullet 5: "Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.
bullet 6: "And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

Momma Angel wrote:
Now, if you can deal with that, fine. But I and many others will stand up for what we believe and the God in whom we believe. He is much stronger than you and a million atheists combined.

Could be. There sure was a lot of smiting going on.

Momma Angel wrote:
I told you Christian does not mean doormat, nor does it mean stupid.

You must be quite proud of that sentence. You use it a lot lately. Given up on the beatitudes?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:41 pm
Re: why ten commandments
djjd62 wrote:
The 10 Commandments
George Carlin

Here is my problem with the ten commandments- why exactly are there 10?

Maybe it's just because we have ten fingers....makes for better theatrics at the pulpit.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:45 pm
CoastalRat,

Thank you for that post. J-B, you also. I am going to do my best to do that. I do appreciate what both of you said very much.

Mesquite,

Don't know where we parted ways so strongly, but we sure have. I'm sorry that happened. I enjoyed our conversations at one point.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:00 am
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
I told you Christian does not mean doormat, nor does it mean stupid.

You must be quite proud of that sentence. You use it a lot lately.

I think you have good reason to be proud of it Momma Angel. It's Great!

I hate it when people treat me like i'm stupid just because I have believe in God and am a Christan
0 Replies