Fat = happy?

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:06 pm
Put thoughts of that post Christmas/new year diet on hold for a moment & read this. Maybe, just maybe, the chunkier you is a happier you? Surprised :wink: :

A recipe for happiness: eat, drink, get fat
By Zoe Williams
January 3, 2006 /the Age/Guardian

Here's something to chew on: big people are happier than skinny ones.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,672 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:13 pm
Whew . . . what a relief . . . thanks, you lovely Ukranian witch . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:27 pm
Oy!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
'Struth. Why else do most pilot stories start out "There I was, just flying along fat, dumb, and happy, when suddenly. . . "?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:47 pm
I don't know about this, Ms. Olga. I've lost 58 pounds and I'm pretty damn happy about it! Of course, I have another 70 or 80 to go. Maybe when I get down there I'll become depressed and miserable about how I look...

Nah, seems unlikely.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:14 pm
Happy, but on their way to an early grave.

Thanks but no thanks.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:21 pm
Here is a chinese character which means "fat" and "big, generous and happy" at the same time.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/6131/snapshot200601030221076un.png
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
I personally know two people who are fat...and suicidal.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:32 am
.... I don't wish to give the impression that I actually endorse this theory (sorry, doggy person!). I read this article in my morning paper & wondered what you guys thought. Me, well excessive excess weight has the opposite effect to happy! For a number of reasons, but mainly that it just doesn't feel right!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:35 am
mac11 wrote:
I don't know about this, Ms. Olga. I've lost 58 pounds and I'm pretty damn happy about it! Of course, I have another 70 or 80 to go. Maybe when I get down there I'll become depressed and miserable about how I look...

Nah, seems unlikely.

Congratulations, mac! That is a terrific achievement! And of course you won't be depressed & miserable. Quite the opposite! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:52 am
It's interesting how weight changes follow one's state of happiness/composure, though:

After a major, major (trust me it was major! Shocked ) trauma my weight fell dramatically to a size 10 (US 12, I think) That, I'm sure was due to extreme anxiety. Clothes looked very good though!

Prior to that I was considerably heavier, because I was sooo unhappy, I'm certain. Sad

Then, as life settled a bit, I went to a size 12, then a bit more.

Now I'm much more settled I'm not too worried. I know my right weight is around size 12. Heading back there now. Yeah, that seems about right! Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 05:25 am
so, msolga, that's the reason that St. Nicholas is so jolly. <smile>

I have maintained the same weight for years now, and sometimes I'm happy; sometimes I'm blue, so maybe I am atypical.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 05:46 am
Santa always looks like he's about to have a heart attack to me, Letty.(He doesn't cope too well in that heavy red outfit in the Oz summer, poor thing!)

And it must be good staying the same weight for a prolonged period. For starters, you don't need 3 different sizes of clothing!: miserable, so/so, happy! :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 05:54 am
Ive put on 2 and a half stone and Im certainly not happy.I dont think its necessarily my weight gain but its certainly not helping.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:25 am
'fat' people tend to eat more sugar and carbs then 'thin' people.
It has been proven that sugar and carbs cause an elevation in moods, but also cause HORRID mood swings.
Just like an addiction, a person who eats alot of carbs and sugars, will eat MORE just because they feel bad, to recreate the mood.

Self medicating at the dinner table.

I would agree that chubby people are in a sense , happier, but that would be my reasoning on the subject.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:30 am
I can only speak for myself. I have spent most of my life battling weight. I must have at least four different sizes in my closet. I am much, much happier at my thinnest. I have much more energy when I have less to drag around.

Mac- I am so happy for you. Keep it up, girl! Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:33 am
I agree there phoenix.

my closet sounds alot like yours.
Though, lately, I have been steady at the smaller end of the closet and happier all around.
It FEELS better to be smaller. I can DO more with out the ball and chain of the dinner plate to determine my mood.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 05:40 pm
I'm another happier-when-thin.

Also, I wonder, just how was the "Happiness" of the fat measured? Personal interviews? The Life of the Party mentality isn't necessarily valid when the party is over and the fat person is all alone-o.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:46 pm
I don't really believe the whole "fat and jolly" thing. A sick body is a sick body, whether fat or thin. A healthy body is the best.

I can only speak for myself; but I'm happiest with a little bit of chunk. Not fat, but with some meat. I've been really skinny in my time, and it wasn't good.

It feels good not to worry all the time about the percentage of fat on my bod though. There is a certain freedom and happiness in being comfortable with some extra curves. I like being fit; just not obsessed! Razz
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:48 pm
Thanks all for the support on my ongoing weight loss. I figure I have another year or so to get down to wherever I'm going, then I just have to stay there.

Back to MsOlga's original article, I do like this quote:
"It appeared to demonstrate that hedonists were happier than puritans." I certainly hope that that is true.
0 Replies