Can I possibly be pregnant?

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 03:41 pm
I've been on estrostep for about two and a half months. During the first month I kinda forgot to take them and stopped until I got my period again. After that I've been taking them religiously for about two months now. One night I was having sex and we realized that the condom had broken...we're both really worried...and I need to know if I have a chance of being pregnant. Can anyone help me figure this out? I'm only 17...and so thats why I need to know as soon as possible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 971 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:58 pm
Hi coronachick88,

It's almost always possible -- chances are better or worse, but there is almost always at least a small chance of failure for every method of birth control. If you were on the birth control for two months before the condom broke, that sounds pretty unlikely that you'd get pregnant. (I'm not sure I pieced things together correctly -- how long after you forgot the pills did the condom break?)

There are a lot of early pregnancy tests that are available over the counter if you want to ease your mind -- IF you are, the sooner you know, the better.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:58 pm
Grab a home pregnancy kit and check. And ask your doctor if taking estrostep could make the kit give off a false positive (or negative).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
OK, that's the second time that's happened tonight! Posted to a topic that had been dormant for a long time only to have someone else post within a minute.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:34 pm
It's the A2K massive collective brain thing going on. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
Those of us with tidy minds....
0 Replies

coronachick88

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:01 am
well thank you for all the advice!! I think I'm going to wait to really freak out until next week...cause thats when I'm supposed to get my period!! I think I'm going to be alright...and I thank all of you so much!!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:12 am
I'd go get a pregnancy test anyhoo. Today. Best not to wait on these matters.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:18 pm
Plus being freaked can make your period late or not come at all (yet another fun trick that nature plays on us). A pregnancy test is cheap and can't hurt either way.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:58 pm
true jespah.
Stress effects periods like you wouldnt believe.

Besides, if you buy a test today, get your period next week, you still have a test available if you ever had this problem again.
Pregnancy tests have almost a 6 month shelf life.
If you are forgetful with the pill, having a pregnancy test around to take when ever you need, might be a good thing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 02:02 pm
When did the condom break in relation to your most recent period? I'm thinking it was within this cycle, right? If you were in the second cycle of taking the pills regularly when the condom broke, then the likelihood of being pregnant is small. If you were in the first cycle of regular use then the liklihood is somewhat higher, but then you would have already had a between cycle period.

If the broken condom was within your current cycle, then I wouldn't rush out and buy a pregnancy test. They aren't cheap and you would probably wait until your period was late before using it anyway. Do you live with your parents? Having a home pregnancy test in the closet might beg more questions than you want to answer.

Stress does affect periods, so relax and don't get nutso about it.

Good for you on taking precautions from both pregnancy and STDs by doubling up the pills with a condom.

Best wishes to you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 02:08 pm
It depends on the week you missed your pills. I had a pregnancy scare a while back (I take estrostep) and my doctor was only concerned because I missed a pill during the 3rd week and then had unprotected sex. This would be when you are ovulating, late in the second week or early in the third. But you may ovulate at different times every month so I can't be sure on the times for you.

I'd go get a test. They are about $10 and you can take it if you completely miss your period. Don't take it the first day you think you've missed. Wait until you are ready to start taking active pills again. The doctor told me that taking the pills that early in pregnancy wouldn't hurt a baby if there was one, so you'd be safe to continue taking the pills until you find out if you are pregnant or not.

If it comes out positive, then you are most likely actually pregnany. Oral contraceptives do not cause false positives. And a false negative is more likely than a false positive. So if that little sucker comes up "pregnant" in the slightest (the lightest possible positive) get yourself to a doctor.

Good luck!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
Here's the info from the package insert on what to do for missed pills. It might help answer your question of pregnancy risk.

Quote:

Special Notes on Administration

Menstruation usually begins two or three days, but may begin as late as the fourth or fifth day, after discontinuing medication. If spotting occurs while on the usual regimen of one tablet daily, the patient should continue medication without interruption.

If a patient forgets to take one or more white tablets, the following is suggested:

One tablet is missed

• take tablet as soon as remembered

• take next tablet at the regular time

Two consecutive tablets are missed (Week 1 or Week 2)

• take two tablets as soon as remembered

• take two tablets the next day

• use another birth control method for seven days following the missed tablets

Two consecutive tablets are missed (Week 3)

Sunday-Start Regimen:

• take one tablet daily until Sunday

• discard remaining tablets

• start new pack of tablets immediately (Sunday)

Day-1 Start Regimen:

• start new pack of tablets that same day

Three (or more) consecutive tablets are missed

Sunday-Start Regimen:

• take one tablet daily until Sunday

• start new pack of tablets immediately (Sunday)

Day-1 Start Regimen:

• start new pack of tablets that same day

The possibility of ovulation occurring increases with each successive day that scheduled tablets are missed. While there is little likelihood of ovulation occurring if only one tablet is missed, the possibility of spotting or bleeding is increased. This is particularly likely to occur if two or more consecutive tablets are missed.
estrostep
0 Replies

coronachick88

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:25 pm
I GOT MY PERIOD!!!!!!!! Yay!! I'm not pregnant!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:28 pm
Great!

You've had a successful learning experience.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:04 pm
Great news, thanks for letting us know!
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 03:33 am
Be good...and if you can't be good...be EXTRA EXTRA careful ...remember those pills....and if you don't remember them, don't have sex!
0 Replies