Case #503 against blind faith--Stem Cell Research

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:54 pm
echi wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
au1929 wrote:
echi
Come on, you can do better than that.

Don't be sure about that old friend! Happy New Gold One! Yea, I know, I know, it really doesn't mean gold Smile

Anon

Do better than what? au1929's statement was empty.

BTW, I can see that you are emotionally involved in this subject, but I am not here to trade punches.

You are right! For many reasons. Not only because of the severly disabled JayBea, but the suffering I have seen through the decades of being close to the hospital situation. If I weren't so damn old, I would retrain as a nurse, or a doctor. The only thing I can do at this point is to do what is possible to help make solutions possible for those who are searching for them.

Anon
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:58 pm
echi,

You can always revive the Abortion thread by just posting to it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:16 pm
Emotionally involved. How can anyone who has an once of compassion not be when they see the suffering around them and know that the research for a possible cure is being stymied by the cancer of religion? My next door neighbor who passed away last Friday was cursed with Alzheimer's and a good friend of many years is presently suffering from Parkinson's. Those are just two of the people I know who have been touched by these dreaded diseases. As to myself I would rather leave that unsaid.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:20 pm
The cancer of religion? The CANCER OF RELIGION?

au1929,

How many times do you have to be told that not only religious people are not for stem cell research? What about them? What are they a cancer of?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:30 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

au1929,

How many times do you have to be told that not only religious people are not for stem cell research? What about them? What are they a cancer of?

Ignorance!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:34 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

au1929,

Ignorance!

Oh I get it, anyone that doesn't believe the way you do or feel the way you do is ignorant Question Idea
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:37 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Ignorance!

I would like to agree with you, but you'll have to do better than that.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:38 pm
Momma
And how many times must you be reminded that they at the forefront of the fight restrict embryonic stem cell research.
As to organized religion it can be likened to cancer of thought and free will. .
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:43 pm
I am not the only one that believes what I do. I do consider blind faith ignorance of sorts. Like I say Momma, preach and pray all you want ... just as long as you don't let it go beyond that. If that floats your boat, sail on! When you want to start affecting others with your superstitions and dogma, then it's time to call it what it is. When you want to start making it the law of the land, that's when I get testy. Don't make me live by your silly superstitions. Go shake your tambourine somewhere that you're not damaging the rest of us.

Anon
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:47 pm
au1929 wrote:
Momma
And how many times must you be reminded that they at the forefront of the fight restrict embryonic stem cell research.
As to organized religion it can be likened to cancer of thought and free will. .

Au1929,

Ok, let's go with the forefront thing. How about some examples of this?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:51 pm
That gets back to the abortion crappola, and we've already been there, done that!

Anon
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:00 pm
Momma
You can't possibly be that naive. To name just two the evangelical Christians, Bush's most ardent supporters. and the Catholic Church. They make no secret of their aims and where their support lies.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
Anon-Voter Wrote:

Quote:
I am not the only one that believes what I do. I do consider blind faith ignorance of sorts.

Like I say, Au1929, you have every right to your beliefs and non-beliefs.

Mr. Setanta, I believe, posted something about even if 50,000 people believed in something foolish, it was still foolish. Something like that.

Like I say Momma, preach and pray all you want ... just as long as you don't let it go beyond that.

Gee Anon, thanx! I appreciate the permission, but I believe the Constitution of the United States give me this right already. :wink:

If that floats your boat, sail on! When you want to start affecting others with your superstitions and dogma, then it's time to call it what it is.

Hey, whatever blows up your skirt! When you want to start effecting others with your Godlessness and your "what's right for me" attitude, then it's time to call it what it is.

When you want to start making it the law of the land, that's when I get testy. Don't make me live by your silly superstitions.

When you want to start making anything and everything the law of the land just because you think "it's right for you", that's when I get testy. Don't make me live by your Godlessness.

Go shake your booty somewhere that you're not teaching our children to rebel and be selfish.

Anon

Momma Angel Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
First of all, let's dispense with this ridiculous bit.

real life wrote:
For those who doubt that an embryo with 150 cells is a living human being, I ask, how many cells does it require to be a living human being?

First of all, thanks for making my point. If not for god, you would never bring up such an inane argument like this. Your religious belief is impeding your ability to think rationally, and therefore is a roadblock to the kind of real ethical debate that might be able to take place on this issue otherwise.

Oh, and to answer your question, here's a simple test. If you can squash the f*cking thing into nothingness using less than your thumb, it's not a living human being. I know this because it says so in my bible.

Nice dodge. So how many cells DOES it require to be a living human being?

kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
The point was discussed a bit earlier that the differences between adult stem cell research and embryonic stem cell research were often IMO intentionally ignored by those who want to accuse pro-life folks of being against ALL stem cell research (untrue) or those who want funding for embryonic stem cell research by riding on the coattails of successful adult stem cell research.

And the reason you keep bringing up adult stem cell research is not totally based on the fact that you believe, on an irrational religious basis, that they are, in fact, a living human being?

I could care less how much more successful adult stem cell research has been thus far. The point is that embryonic stem cell research has the potential to be even more valuable[/u], but because of all the white noise coming from the religious world, there can't even be a real reasoned debate about the ethics of it.

That is my point, which you have so nicely helped me clarify. Thanks.
(emphasis mine)

Again you hype your product but provide no proof. I hope you don't try to make a living in the sales profession.

And yeah, it is being debated. You just don't like the results of the debate. Unless your opposition rolls over and plays dead, you kick and scream and shout 'unfair unfair'.

You want to join the debate? Prove your assertion that embryonic stem cell research has greater potential than adult stem cell research without simply parroting someone else's assertion that it is so.

You want to join the debate? Prove your assertion that the embryo is not a living human being by telling us at what point he becomes one. How many cells does it require to achieve the status of 'living human being' in your world, Kickycan?

Again you miss my point.

Faith clouds the issue so that a reasoned debate can't be had.

It doesn't matter much what I think about when a human life becomes a human life. For purposes of this argument, I could care less whether a human life begins at the point of conception, or whether it is at the point of the first heartbeat, or whether it is when the doctor slaps it's gooey little ass in the delivery room. The point is, we should determine this stuff without the mumbo jumbo of religion muddying up the waters.

The point you started the thread with was that 150 cells did not constitute a human life.

That was the whole foundation of your argument.

So, tell us, how many cells DOES it require to be a living human being?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:12 pm
MOAN.

Someday, you might get the concept about the separation of Church and State. I doubt it, but one can hope!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:14 pm
au1929 wrote:
Momma
You can't possibly be that naive. To name just two the evangelical Christians, Bush's most ardent supporters. and the Catholic Church. They make no secret of their aims and where their support lies.

She not only CAN be, but it appears she IS!!

Anon
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:15 pm
Yeah,

I didn't think you'd like that post much. Figures. And please, do not address me as MOAN. I do not moan.

I deliberately posted that using your own words. I guess you just can't understand there are more than just religious reasons a person might vote? I guess you can't understand our side of the coin, huh?

Or is it just that I wouldn't vote your way; thereby being ignorant?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:23 pm
Anon-Voter Wrote:

Quote:
She not only CAN be, but it appears she IS!!

Anon

Show me where in the Constitution of the United States or anywhere else the sort of process (thinking) I must adhere to when voting for something. Show me where it says, "You cannot consider your religious beliefs when you are making your decision for or against something or someone to be voted on."

Now, you vote your conscience. I vote mine. Same thing. You vote yes. I vote no. Whatever. I have no right to tell you that you cannot use part of your life experience as a basis for a vote, just as you cannot dictate the same to me or anyone else.

Well, that is unless of course, you'd like to make a law saying the religious cannot vote at all? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:23 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
I am not the only one that believes what I do. I do consider blind faith ignorance of sorts. Like I say Momma, preach and pray all you want ... just as long as you don't let it go beyond that. If that floats your boat, sail on! When you want to start affecting others with your superstitions and dogma, then it's time to call it what it is. When you want to start making it the law of the land, that's when I get testy. Don't make me live by your silly superstitions. Go shake your tambourine somewhere that you're not damaging the rest of us.

Anon

Don't make others live by your illogical ramblings either.

Go shake your rattling head somewhere that you're not damaging anyone else.

When you want to make killing an innocent life the law of the land that's when I get just as testy.

Now, we can zing these back and forth all day and night, or you can try to come up with a reason why it's ok for you to decide whether an innocent party lives or dies.

If you want to sacrifice your OWN body and give it's stem cells to researchers, that's fine by me. But when you take another's body to the blender and sell the remaining pieces to the lab, it's wrong. Comprende?

You've seen sick folks suffer? So have I. The solution is not to kill someone else to try to fix it.

You've got a blind faith of your own, you just can't see it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:25 pm
Amen Real Life Amen! Praise the Lord!
0 Replies