Case #503 against blind faith--Stem Cell Research

real life

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:33 am
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
EMBRYONIC[/u] stem cell research HAS NOT[/u] shown nearly the potential.

So what? How much is "nearly" in your book? If it shows any potential at all, and someone's blind faith holds back any chance to use that potential, how do you justify that?

Do you justify it?

Embryonic stem cell research has little or no positive results to show.

Since research dollars are, by the very nature of things, limited --- doesn't it make sense to put them where they have shown remarkable progress? That would be in adult stem cell research.

Is there a reason why you apparently are unwilling to acknowledge and discuss the difference?

kickycan wrote:
squinney wrote:
It is MY contention that there is more to it than that. Religion may be one reason, but probably just as important is the belief that we can't / shouldn't save everyone. Imagine this planet if everyone lived happy and healthy to a very ripe old age. Do we have a duty to save everyone? Fix everyone? Do we destroy an embryo to save an alcoholic? Who decides who gets saved? If there is no choice, just save everyone, what do we do with the alcoholic after we grow him a new liver?

You see? Now THIS is a post with some good old fashioned rational thought behind it. I agree with you Squinney, that there may be other reasons not to go ahead with stem cell research, and those should also be discussed.

My point though, is that all these half-baked religious "reasons" are cluttering the debate, and if we didn't have to tolerate them, scientists might actually be able to get to a discussion of those real moral dilemmas without having to step back and humor irrational ideas.

I find it ironic that you rail against the 'religious' for supposedly impeding progress that would in turn cause folks to suffer and die; but then chimed in with hearty agreement (or so it seemed) with Squinney's contention that 'you can't save everyone and maybe we shouldn't even try' .

Her argument for allowing people to suffer and die was apparently ok with you because it had no religious component (in fact the very opposite) ---- but your imaginary scenario (there are no pro-life folks advocating the suspension of all stem cell research, thus causing suffering and death) caused you to go apoplectic.

It's beginning to sound as if you simply want an excuse to parade your distaste for religion -- and that alleviating suffering and saving lives was a smokescreen in your quest to do so.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:51 am
Quote:
It is MY contention that there is more to it than that. Religion may be one reason, but probably just as important is the belief that we can't / shouldn't save everyone. Imagine this planet if everyone lived happy and healthy to a very ripe old age. Do we have a duty to save everyone? Fix everyone? Do we destroy an embryo to save an alcoholic? Who decides who gets saved? If there is no choice, just save everyone, what do we do with the alcoholic after we grow him a new liver?

Some people may hold this belief, but it's a very hypocritical belief that I doubt many think of when dealing with stem cell research.

I'll give you possible dillemma: "who decides the limit as to how we use this technology"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:52 am
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:

So what? How much is "nearly" in your book? If it shows any potential at all, and someone's blind faith holds back any chance to use that potential, how do you justify that?

Do you justify it?

Since research dollars are, by the very nature of things, limited --- doesn't it make sense to put them where they have shown remarkable progress? That would be in adult stem cell research.

Is there a reason why you apparently are unwilling to acknowledge and discuss the difference?

You saying it has no positive results doesn't mean squat to me. Show me some evidence of your statement.

real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
squinney wrote:

You see? Now THIS is a post with some good old fashioned rational thought behind it. I agree with you Squinney, that there may be other reasons not to go ahead with stem cell research, and those should also be discussed.

My point though, is that all these half-baked religious "reasons" are cluttering the debate, and if we didn't have to tolerate them, scientists might actually be able to get to a discussion of those real moral dilemmas without having to step back and humor irrational ideas.

I find it ironic that you rail against the 'religious' for supposedly impeding progress that would in turn cause folks to suffer and die; but then chimed in with hearty agreement (or so it seemed) with Squinney's contention that 'you can't save everyone and maybe we shouldn't even try' .

Her argument for allowing people to suffer and die was apparently ok with you because it had no religious component (in fact the very opposite) ---- but your imaginary scenario (there are no pro-life folks advocating the suspension of all stem cell research, thus causing suffering and death) caused you to go apoplectic.

It's beginning to sound as if you simply want an excuse to parade your distaste for religion -- and that alleviating suffering and saving lives was a smokescreen in your quest to do so.

You are wrong in your assumption. The only thing I agreed with was that she had apparently put some thought into her opinion on the matter. Plus, I was just about to go out, so I didn't really have time to go into it with her, but actually, the minute after I left for my party, I thought about her points, and decided that they were all pretty much total bullshit, in my opinion.

How's that grab ya?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:56 am
Re: Case #503 against blind faith--Stem Cell Research
Thomas wrote:
kickycan wrote:
It is my contention that the only reason the U.S. government has not already jumped at the chance to fund research in this area is because of belief in the invisible man in the sky, and the thought that this cluster of 150 cells--smaller than the tip of your eyelash, this little bundle of cells--is a little person.

In that case it is my contention that you never bothered to check which countries fund stem cell research, which don't, and how that corresponds with any reasonable measure of religious fervor in those countries. Germany, for instance, has a much smaller percentage of church-goers than America. Yet stem-cell research isn't merely unsubsidized here -- most kinds of it are illegal. Compared with other industrialized countries, America is rather on the permissive side on this issue.

Laughing Your contention is correct. Why do you think it is illegal there?

I still think that in the USA, it's because of irrational religious dogma, for the most part.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:02 am
Maybe the reason that not much progress has been made using embryonic stem cells, as opposed to adult cells, is that the research has, so far, been relatively limited. (Just a guess.)
That said, I am still on the fence on this one, although I lean very heavily towards opposing it, altogether. Based on my understanding, these cells have the potential to become grown-up people just like all of us. If that is the case (IF), then I can't see how I could possibly support it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:08 am
You seriously think that a cluster of 150 cells is the same as a human life? 150 cells. That crud in your eyes when you wake up is probably closer to being a human being than that. Tell ya what. Next time you rub your eyes in the morning, please call the police and have them arrest you for murder then. You need to be incarcerated.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:13 am
I don't know if it's the same as a human life. I don't know all the evidence. But if its nature is to grow up to be a person, then yeah, that's what it is.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:15 am
echi wrote:
I don't know if it's the same as a human life. I don't know all the evidence. But if its nature is to grow up to be a person, then yeah, that's what it is.

So where do you draw the line? When you masturbate, do you save all the semen in a jar, just in case?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:17 am
I draw the line at conception. But I'll draw it somewhere else if I find a reason to.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:26 am
Pat Robertson called for the assassination of Perez of Venezuela. He certainly has no respect for life.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
echi wrote:
Maybe the reason that not much progress has been made using embryonic stem cells, as opposed to adult cells, is that the research has, so far, been relatively limited. (Just a guess.)
That said, I am still on the fence on this one, although I lean very heavily towards opposing it, altogether. Based on my understanding, these cells have the potential to become grown-up people just like all of us. If that is the case (IF), then I can't see how I could possibly support it.

Good point. You cannot get results without first funding the research.

Pluripotent embryonic stem cells DO NOT have the ability to grow into a fetus, and the embryos they are derived from are fertility clinic leftovers that would NEVER have been implanted. If not given immortality by being used in research, they would have been washed down a drain (or whatever alternative disposal method the parents choose). They have ZERO potential to ever become people.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
real life wrote:

There are problems with using adult stem cells:
Quote:

Since there is much that can be learned only by studying the differentiation process in embryonic cells, both kinds of research need to be funded. I do not understand the rationale for allowing funding for research using the existing (and insufficient) 22 stem cell lines created before 2001, while denying funding for all of the newer embryonic stem cell lines that are ethically no different from the old ones. NIH FAQ on stem cell research
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:15 pm
Terry wrote:
Pluripotent embryonic stem cells DO NOT have the ability to grow into a fetus, and the embryos they are derived from are fertility clinic leftovers that would NEVER have been implanted. If not given immortality by being used in research, they would have been washed down a drain (or whatever alternative disposal method the parents choose).

I don't agree with the work done by fertility clinics, so this reasoning does not change my opinion about embryonic stem cell research, at all.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:48 pm
You've been gone awhile turkey.

There's that word again....foolishness.

Grrr.......
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:53 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
kickycan,

I can understand your feelings with this. I really can. But, it seems an awful like like growing human beings for parts to me. I realize that's oversimplification but that's the way I see it.

You'd rather see them destroyed and flushed down the toilet as they are now with In Vitro reproduction?

Anon
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:37 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
kickycan,

I can understand your feelings with this. I really can. But, it seems an awful like like growing human beings for parts to me. I realize that's oversimplification but that's the way I see it.

You'd rather see them destroyed and flushed down the toilet as they are now with In Vitro reproduction?

Anon

Don't know how you got that from what I said.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:01 pm
Re: Case #503 against blind faith--Stem Cell Research
kickycan wrote:
Laughing Your contention is correct. Why do you think it is illegal there?

It's a pro-life standpoint, derived from ideology that is influenced in part by Christianity, in part by the kind of "green" ideology that also fuels animal rights, and in part by animosity against multinational corporations, which would benefit from successful stem cell technology.

kickycan wrote:
I still think that in the USA, it's because of irrational religious dogma, for the most part.

This may well be true. Personally I have much less of a problem with that than I did a year or two ago. I changed my mind because I recognized that all political value judgements are fundamentally irrational. I took a close, rational look at Hobbes' social contract, Bentham's utility calculus, the liberal concept of social justice, and the environmentalists' idea of "Earth in the balance". They all start from premises that are barely more realistic than the immaculate conception. That has greatly increased my tolerance for Christian dogma as a font of public policy.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:07 pm
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:

Do you justify it?

You saying it has no positive results doesn't mean squat to me. Show me some evidence of your statement.

real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
squinney wrote:

You are wrong in your assumption. The only thing I agreed with was that she had apparently put some thought into her opinion on the matter. Plus, I was just about to go out, so I didn't really have time to go into it with her, but actually, the minute after I left for my party, I thought about her points, and decided that they were all pretty much total bullshit, in my opinion.

How's that grab ya?

Grabs me fine. I agree that the 'we can't save everyone and maybe we shouldn't try' argument is ridiculous, but it is the logical conclusion of the premise that human life is only valuable in certain circumstances and not others.

Within the last year or so have been several notable stories of persons in comas for 10 years, or more who woke up.

Utilitarians, with their 'pull the plug' mentality, would have murdered these people.

Embryos should not be created to experiment on, or to discard in favor of others. Unborn children should not be someone's science fair project.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:09 pm
Terry wrote:
Good point. You cannot get results without first funding the research.

Depends on who "you" is in that sentence. If stem cell research holds as much promise as its advocates contend, someone can make a profit by funding it. Therefore I don't see why "you" cannot get results without funding from the federal government.

Terry wrote:
Pluripotent embryonic stem cells DO NOT have the ability to grow into a fetus, and the embryos they are derived from are fertility clinic leftovers that would NEVER have been implanted.

That may well be true today, when only researchers use those stem cells. But would this still be true if the advocates of stem cell research were proven right, and therapeutic cloning went into mass production? This is not a rhetorical question -- I truly don't know.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:38 pm
Well cloning is a different story.
0 Replies