Ohio Protest

RfromP

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 07:14 pm
Quote:
Hundreds in Ohio Protest Somali's Shooting
By ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Somali immigrants upset over the fatal police shooting of a man they say had mental health problems rallied Friday in protest, questioning the decision to use deadly force.

A crowd that Columbus police estimated in the hundreds alternated between standing in front of City Hall and marching around two city blocks chanting and yelling, "We want justice!"

Protesters held signs with statements such as, "Nasir Abdi needed medication, not a bullet."

Nasir Abdi, 23, was shot Wednesday as four Franklin County deputies tried to take him back to a mental hospital where he had been force-fed medications. Columbus police detectives said Abdi had threatened them with a kitchen knife with a 6-inch blade.

But Somali leaders said witnesses to the shooting never saw a knife in Abdi's hands.

"What we need is the facts to come out, and we want justice to be served," said Liibaan Ismail of Columbus, a spokesman for the protesters gathered outside City Hall.

Bashir Mohamud, a 23-year-old Ohio State University student, said he came to the protest because he didn't think Abdi had to die.

"The police just shot him without reason. I believe they could have saved him instead of killing him," said Mohamud, who came to Columbus from Somalia about three years ago.

Sheriff Jim Karnes said Friday that his office was familiar with Abdi and his mental health problems, though the deputy who shot him was probably not. Nevertheless, he said, his officers know their responsibilities.

"They know what they have to do to protect themselves and the public," he said.

Karnes said his officers have taken only the minimum training in dealing with mentally ill suspects required by the state.

"Unless it's mandated by the state, we probably don't have enough time or money to do it," Karnes said. "Training costs money."

Crisis training is a priority for a state Supreme Court committee studying the mentally ill and the court system.

Such training is voluntary for police departments in Ohio, though a growing number are taking advantage of it.

"You can't deal with a mentally ill person like you can with a person who is rational," state Supreme Court Justice Evelyn Lundberg Stratton said Friday. "They don't think the same way. They're in a delusion."

My question to the looting goons is, "Where have you been?" This guy was apparently known in the community so why is it that the police have had to drag him to the hospital and his medication forced?

They have the motivation and drive to protest at city hall but none to have helped this poor guy so this situation could have been avoided.

Their anger is grossly misplaced.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 780 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 07:23 pm
Looting?
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 07:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
Looting?

correction: "protesting"

Thank you. Embarrassed
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 07:42 pm
Ah.

I dunno, seems like there is a happy medium. Police are called when an unstable, mentally ill person needs to go back to the hospital because who knows what he'll do to some random citizen -- but those same police are expected to show restraint and not kill someone without a darn good reason. The whole "he had a knife, really" thing has a long and ugly history (as in, trotted out to excuse inexcusable police actions), and I'll probably reserve judgement until the whole story comes out. And hope that the whole story DOES come out.

If he actually had a knife and the policeman in question acted reasonably, unfortunate but that's how things happen sometimes. If he DIDN'T have a knife and the policeman acted unreasonably, I'd expect him to be held accountable. In other words, I agree with this:

Quote:
"What we need is the facts to come out, and we want justice to be served," said Liibaan Ismail of Columbus, a spokesman for the protesters gathered outside City Hall.

Facts are good things.

Thanks for posting this by the way, I live in Columbus but didn't know about it which ain't right. (I don't get the local paper and never watch the news...)
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:02 pm
I wholeheartedly agree, let's get the facts before pointing fingers either way. I just feel if his community would have put 1/10th the energy into caring for this man as they have in protesting maybe he would still be alive.

Since you haven't read the paper you may not know this next story. Busy news day in Columbus.

Quote:
Victims Told in Error Ohio Inmates Freed
By JOHN McCARTHY, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Thousands of Ohio crime victims received calls from a computer notification system on Friday mistakenly telling them inmates had been released, a state prisons spokesman said.

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction believes the problem stemmed from a computer glitch that happened during maintenance. The agency was double-checking to ensure that no inmates were accidentally released, spokesman Brian Niceswanger said.

About 3,000 calls were made starting at noon on Friday, he said. The system was shut down when the glitch was discovered about an hour later when concerned crime victims started calling the agency.

Officials still were trying to determine how many inmates the calls involved because some inmates had multiple victims or victims put others on the notification list.

The department computer system that tracks the release of inmates was undergoing maintenance Thursday night when a file listing inmates' names was activated and accidentally sent to a contractor that handles the automated notifications.

The department received dozens of calls from victims, Niceswanger said. The cause of the glitch had not been determined by Friday afternoon.

Charles Humphrey, of Newark, who was on the list because of a sexual assault against a relative, said he got a call then tried unsuccessfully to contact the victim services unit. He said the timing was especially bad because he preparing to travel out of state Friday night to bring the relative to his home for the New Year's holiday.

"It was just kind of freaky. I thought they did let him out," Humphrey said.

Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:53 pm
Caring how, though?

I'm still not clear what happened in the first place -- I read an earlier news item that said that the police went to his house to serve him papers, not (as the story above claims), take him back to the hospital.

Quote:
Deputies said they went to Cassady Village to serve papers to 23-year-old Nasir Abdi, when he pulled a knife.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5692084/detail.html

What is the community supposed to do, exactly? (From that news item it sounds like he was at his home minding his own business when police showed up late at night [the shooting happened at 1:15 AM] and then things got ugly -- again, facts are lacking.) How do you know they weren't doing it?

And you're right, hadn't seen that new one either, thanks again. Geesh, what a glitch...
0 Replies