Where does it say in the bible we inherit original sin?

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:30 am
Quote:
li·ra (lîr'ə, lē'rä)
n., pl. li·re (lîr'ā, lē'rĕ) or li·ras. (Abbr. l.)
A basic unit of currency in Italy, Malta, San Marino, Turkey, and Vatican City.

Have any of you been to San Marino? I understand that they have a lot of lire there!

In case you want to know more about this:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sm.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:37 am
the lire has been replaced by the euro.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:38 am
dyslexia wrote:

Ohmygawd- Does that mean that I have been a liar about the lire????
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:38 am
Those godless europeans.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Obviously not, but you are a lier.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
kickycan wrote:
Those godless europeans.

Hey wait a minute. The Romans had lots of gods, as did the Greeks, the Norse, and who knows whom else!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:40 am
I think you're both lyres.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:40 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Yes, you'll rot in hell for eternity!!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
Quote:
Yes, you'll rot in hell for eternity!!!

Francis- Oh, the utter shame of it all. Whatta way to go! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
god made my lie down with the lambs, the chops where good.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:43 am
Francis I see your feeling stressed today, take a break and have some velveeta and a coke.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:44 am
dyslexia wrote:
god made my lie down with the lambs, the chops where good.

dys- Have you mentioned to Lady Diane this, er, predilection of yours?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
She knows, she takes medication.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:49 am
dyslexia wrote:
Francis I see your feeling stressed today, take a break and have some velveeta and a coke.

I'll do, champagne doesn't work anymore Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:02 am
she lives with the gas...

she knows..
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:46 pm
Quote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Adam is dead. He did die. God didn't say you will die this second. Until the first sin was committed, I think Adam and Eve would have lived forever.

Terry Wrote:

God did not tell Adam that he would die almost a thousand years later, he told him he would die WHEN he ate the fruit (some versions say "on the day"). I don't think that being threatened with death many centuries in the future after a long and productive life with countless descendents, is much of a deterrent, especially to someone who had never experienced death. It's unlikely that they would have lived forever anyway; God would undoubtedly been offended by something they did or didn't do sooner or later and used it as an excuse to get rid of them.

I am working on this one still. I think it requires quite a bit of explanation. I will get back to you on this one.

Momma Angel Wrote:

And just where do you get that Jesus broke several of the commandments. Do you have scripture to back up that assertion?

Terry Wrote:

I wouldn't have posted it if I could not back it up. Here are some commandments that Jesus broke:

Thou shalt have no gods before me. Jesus put himself before God when he said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me" (John 14:6).

1 John 5:7: For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (the Word is Jesus Christ.)

John 14:10 ~ Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?

Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy. Jesus and his disciples plucked and ate corn on the sabbath and Jesus said, "The sabbath was made for men and not men for the sabbath" (Mark 2:23-28). They also ate with unwashed hands. (Mark 7:1-4)

Mark 2:28 You forgot this part: So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.

Jesus said, if you love me you will obey MY teachings.

As far as the unwashed goes, he was pointing out to them that they were following the letter of the Old Mosaic law and not following Christ as they should be.

Kind of reminds me of what Christians today are being accused of ~ following the doctrine and not the Savior and His teachings.

Honor your father and mother. Jesus scorned and publicly humiliated his mother (Mark 3:31-34, Luke 8:19-21, Luke 11:27-28)

Surely you aren't serious about that one, right? He did not scorn and publicly humiliate his mother. He asked those telling Him his mother was looking for him, who his mother and brothers were, indicating that those who hear Him are his mothers and brothers.

Jesus also said, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters, -- yes, even his own life -- he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26) The Bible does not report a single instance where Jesus did or said anything to honor either his earthly father or his mother.

Right so that automatically means he didn't honor them? This is something that if not answered by the Bible, then I don't see how we can possibly know.

Thou shalt not bear false witness. Jesus said he wasn't going to a feast and then as soon as the others left, he went to the feast in secret. (John 7:8-10)

Actually, this is what it states in John 7, Terry.

[7] The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.
[8] Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.
[9] When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.
[10] But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

He did not lie. He said it wasn't time for him to go yet. Obviously, it was his time to go when he did.

Jesus promised to return within the lifetime of his disciples but is still not back: "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power." (Mark 9:1)

Am doing research on this one and will get back to it.

Jesus said, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of the pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:17-20)

Paul claimed that Jesus abolished the Law: "Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law." (Galatians 3:25) "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations." (Ephesians 2:15)

The punishment for the laws changed with the coming of Christ. Christ took the punishment. The Old Mosaic laws are the laws we are no longer under the supervision of. If you will, we are now under the Law of Christ.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/otlaw.html

Jesus also taught others that it was Ok to violate the Commandments:

Thou shalt not commit adultery. The OT required that anyone guilty of adultery be stoned to death, but when a woman caught in adultery was brought to Jesus, he enabled her to escape lawful punishment (John 8:3-11).

Did you miss the part in there that they were trying to trap Jesus? They were talking about the Old Mosaic laws. When Christ came the Old Mosaic laws fell away. Check this link out. Maybe it can help explain it.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/otlaw.html

Thou shalt not steal. Jesus taught a parable about a man who found a treasure in someone else's field and rather than tell the owner about it, he hid it and bought the field (Matt. 13:44).

Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. But one of his disciples objected, "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages." "Leave her alone … You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me." (John 3-5)

Thou shalt not covet. Jesus taught a parable about a merchant who saw a pearl and coveted it so much that he sold all he had and bought it (Matt. 13:45-46)

Jesus also told a parable about a man who had a fig tree in his vineyard, did not find any fruit on it and wanted it cut down, but the vineyard man said to fertilize it and give it another year. (Luke 13:6-9) Jesus, however, got mad when a fig tree had no fruit (it was out of season) and killed it. (Mark 11:13)

Will also get back to these. Just didn't want you to think I had forgotten.

Some insight into Jesus' reputation among the Jews: The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, `here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."' (Luke 7:34)

Terry, you might want to go back to the verse 20 (or even further back) of Luke 7. You have totally missed the point. Jesus was telling the Pharisees and the experts in the law that had rejected God's purpose for them because they had not been baptized by John that they said things about John the Baptist and he came neither eating or drinking and they said bad things about him. Now, they say bad things about Jesus because he was eating and drinking and spending time with sinners. The word hypocrisy comes to mind in this instance?
Also, I think you should have included Luke 7:35: But wisdom is proved right by all her children.

Terry, if that didn't cover it all let me know. I am working on the ones I indicated. Have to do reading to get the whole story. :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:58 am
Terry; Did you ever hear the phrase 'dead man walking?'
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:14 pm
Momma Angel, you and I interpret Biblical passages differently. Since neither of us was an eyewitness, we will just have to agree to disagree on some of these points.

I am curious, though, about your basis for asserting that Jesus committed no sins, when it seems quite clear to me that he broke several of the Commandments as well as other Mosaic Laws. I am particularly disturbed that although God killed others for violating the Sabbath, Jesus felt that he and his disciples were above the Law. Do you know anyplace in the Bible that says Jesus never sinned?

I do not think the Bible justifies the belief that Jesus is God and therefore exempt. Jesus talked about God as if he were a separate entity, asked God to spare him from death, cried that God had forsaken him, and never claimed to be God.

The skeptics annotated Bible link shows that the Bible contradicts itself on the question of the Law. Jesus said he was not here to abolish the Law. Paul (who never met Jesus) claimed that Jesus had abolished the Law, probably because potential converts were put off when they heard about the dietary restrictions and circumcision (which were major points of contention among the disciples). So why do modern Christians believe Paul instead of Jesus?

If a prophet tried to turn the Jews away from the Law, they were required to put him to death. God never told them that he was sending a son to revoke the eternal covenant he had made with them, and Original Sin was not a problem since they had been using the same God-given rites for atonement for thousands of years, so they had not reason to believe that Jesus was anything other than a crackpot.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
neologist wrote:
Terry; Did you ever hear the phrase 'dead man walking?'

I have not seen the movie, but believe it refers to a death row prisoner on his way to his execution. Why do you ask?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:49 pm
Terry,

I'm telling you, you guys gotta get a new script! You'd think the stuff you talk about is all that is in the Bible.

You need verses where Jesus says, The Father and I are one? If you see me you see the Father? I am in the Father and the Father is in me?

Not a problem.
0 Replies