Where does it say in the bible we inherit original sin?

Terry

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 11:47 am
Chai Tea, Happy Anniversary! How many years?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:09 pm
Terry,

You are joking, right? I'm going to take a nap now. If you are serious, I will address this later.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 01:13 pm
Momma Angel, I am quite serious. Enjoy your nap (planning a late night? Wish I were, but I have to be at work at 6 am). I will be waiting for your reply.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 01:16 pm
Terry,

Ok, I'm working on it right now. I need to do some more reading. No, not a late night. Just got up too early.

I will be back with you. It may be tomorrow.

Happy New Year!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
It appears that original sin, according to Genesis, was the pursuit of wisdom and enlightenment. If that's the case, I'll take it.

Me too. Eve should be celebrated as a heroine who had the wisdom and courage to risk her life to bring enlightenment to mankind, as Prometheus did with fire. (He was also punished for his good deed).

My personal take on the story is that the Israelites got it right in that evolution of a larger brain led to the invention of agriculture and toiling in the fields as well as making childbirth painful. The larger brain also gave us the ability to consider the consequences of our actions, and the empathy to feel guilt if we hurt others.

But the notion that everyone inherits sin without doing anything to earn it, and God could not forgive us for being human without having his son killed, is absurd.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 03:27 pm
This is much what gnostics believe...that god is actually an evil demiurge and the serpent (satan) was the protagonist, offering man knowledge his creator was too egomaniacle to let him have.
It is also from this symbology that we Satanists rest our notion of Satan.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:22 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The notion of inherited sin is to me one of the most repugnant teachings of Christians. Absolutely unacceptable.
Well, you are right, actually. In that it is not sin itself which is inherited, it is our obstreperous personalities.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:43 pm
Whatever you say, dood.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 11:16 pm
Doktor S wrote:
This is much what gnostics believe...that god is actually an evil demiurge and the serpent (satan) was the protagonist, offering man knowledge his creator was too egomaniacle to let him have.
It is also from this symbology that we Satanists rest our notion of Satan.

Doktor S--
What I have read about Gnosticism is that the Creator God, the Demiurge, is not the true God. The Demiurge, Satan, "emanated" from the true God (whatever that means) and basically ruled the Earth until the true God made itself known through Jesus.
This seems to differ some from what you posted earlier. But there were many Gnostic sects, so maybe we picked up our info from some who had opposing ideas.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 11:24 pm
Terry,

Just a quick note to let you know I have not forgotten you. I will get to this in the morning. Had an emergency come up here tonight that took up most of my time.

Happy New Year!
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 11:26 pm
Well, my reference to gnosticism was vague and incomplete, but the the point was the gnostic Satan stood for wisdom.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 11:56 pm
Dok--
Yeah...I didn't mean to sound like Mr. Correct-o.
You probably also know that at least some Gnostics consider the serpent to be Christ. (I guess that's pretty much what you said before.) I find that really interesting.
0 Replies

handsome149

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 08:00 am
face the facts sin come from the first human man and woman, and their sin passed down to all men as says the word of the almighty God, sin is a fact, today as we write sin is taking place all over the world, the Bible says plainly that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, if you dont believe this why dont you just throw away your bible ,because you dont think it,s is the truth it want do you any good because your calling allmighty God a lier.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 08:30 am
handsome149 wrote:
face the facts sin come from the first human man and woman, and their sin passed down to all men as says the word of the almighty God, sin is a fact, today as we write sin is taking place all over the world, the Bible says plainly that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, if you dont believe this why dont you just throw away your bible ,because you dont think it,s is the truth it want do you any good because your calling allmighty God a lier.

right.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
Absolutely!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:11 am
Threw away mine (for practical use) years ago, handsome.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:11 am
I've changed my ways, fer shure.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:19 am
handsome149 wrote:
face the facts sin come from the first human man...why dont you just throw away your bible ,because you dont think it,s is the truth it want do you any good because your calling allmighty God a lier.

"Lier?" Don't you mean "lire?" Yeah, I said that. Oh yeah, I called god a lire!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:27 am
lier,
as in Jet?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:29 am
My lord is a mighty hot dog, I ate it. god gave me gas.
0 Replies