Why are you still a Christian?

Im the other one

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:22 am
They are mysterious, but nothing he can't do. He can do anything he wants if it fulfills his will.

I do know that whatever he does, it's for the best because he loves us.

Death, decay, sickness, fatigue, hatred, all of the bad things do not come from him. Those are only from satan. This will all dissapear later, thank God.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:22 am
I know what time it is.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:23 am
And I know that Jesus is the Savior of the world. I know how much God loves me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:24 am
echi wrote:
Quote:
What did you think was starting to make sense to you? Now you have me very intrigued.

It was just a misunderstanding on my part, but I thought you were saying something to the effect that God had to walk in our shoes in order to understand why we are so dang rotten.

God knows why we are rotten. He is giving us the opportunity to change that.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:25 am
Does anyone know how the books of the Bible were selected? Why some were included and others left out?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:26 am
echi,

First of all, what makes you think any were left out? Can I ask you a question, echi? Besides that one, that is. What do you believe in?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:27 am
Momma--
You mean what do I believe is real?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:34 am
Nevermind. I think I know what you mean.

I believe in a lot of things; too many to think of right now.
I really don't know where to start.
You can ask if you want to.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:52 am
echi wrote:
Does anyone know how the books of the Bible were selected? Why some were included and others left out?
The canon of the Hebrew scriptures was set by the end of the 5th century B.C.E. For a book to have been included it must have given evidence of inspiration, dealing with God's affairs in the earth and turning men to his worship. There must be no evidence of superstition or propagation of pagan doctrines.

The fact that all of the Hebrew scriptures with the exception of Ecclesiastes and Esther were quoted by either Jesus or his disciples provides additional evidence.

Belief in the bible presupposes faith in God's ability to guide the copying and translation of scriptures in addition to his original act of inspiration.

I'll save the Christian canon for another post.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 10:45 am
Thanx for helping Neo.

Echi,

No, I don't mean what do you believe is real. But, if it will help by me asking questins, I will.

Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:20 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

I honestly don't know what that means. Can you explain?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:59 am
echi,

I can but I don't think it needs explanation. Do you believe that Jesus Christ of the Bible, was the Son of the Living God of the Bible?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:01 pm
I believe that "Christ" describes a person who is fully awake, like "Buddha". "Christ" also describes our most basic nature. After all, the Kingdom is within, right?
So in that sense, then yes, I believe that Christ is the Son of God. (We are created in God's image.)
However, I am fairly positive that's not what you mean. And I'm not even sure if I believe in "God" in any conventional sense, but that's another subject.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:04 pm
Right, it's not exactly what I meant, but it's a place to start.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:13 pm
In my experience, Christianity teaches dogma but not a true understanding of Jesus' message. Religions are hierarchical, and it's assumed by the faithful that the higher-ups (priests, ministers) know more than the flock. Is the Truth too far-out to understand by ordinary folks?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:14 pm
echi,

What do you think is Christ's message?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:19 pm
I don't think Christ has a message. I think Jesus' message is "Stop idolizing me, and look within yourselves."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:39 pm
echi,

As I see it, that's the whole problem. Looking within ourselves has gotten this world where it is today. As long as man has the propensity and the ability to sin, we will never find the answers. We have to look to the one who is perfect for the answers. Our egos are what guide us too often. Don't you see that?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:49 pm
Momma--

The ego is not the root of what we are. Jesus said something to the effect of "I am the way". This same "I" is within all of us.
Plenty of others have found the solution to life's problems without ever knowing anything about Jesus or the God of the Bible. On the other hand, many who have idolized Jesus have done unspeakable things... priests, ministers, even a few Popes here and there.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:58 pm
I think it is the ego that convinces people to worship other people.
0 Replies