Why are you still a Christian?

Questioner

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:07 pm
J_B wrote:
Questioner wrote:

Was actually Church of Christ.

And I'm actually as happy as I ever was.

As in, UCC formerly Congregationalist?

Not quite.

Church of Christ
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:29 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
echi,

Is there any book you have read that you have taken every single word as literal truth?

True, power corrupts. Man corrupts. So, do you throw out everything said in the Bible because you feel some of it may be corrupted. If you understand what the basic message is, isn't that what is important?

I read other books than the Bible, echi. Lots of books. I agree with some things written and not with others. It's a matter of discernment.

Responses to your paragraphs, in order:
1. I doubt it.
2. Yes.
3. I agree.

I think you and I disagree on how to discern the basic message of the Bible. I thought we were getting close when we were discussing the Holy Spirit and the conscience, but instead we hit a wall. (BTW Since then I have all but confirmed that your position on that is backed up by the Bible; mine, it seems, is not. I'm still looking in to it, though.)
But I still say that mine is the simpler, most obvious interpretation, as it requires nothing more than a clear conscience and good reasoning skills to understand.
Your interpretation requires a dogmatic, religious explanation that fails to provide the answers and therefore fails to serve its intended purpose.

How are you today? Cool
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:34 pm
Doing ok. You?

Ok, it may seem simple because you understand it. What is simple to me is obviously not simple to you because you don't understand it from my point of view. We can work on it. No problem.

As far as my interpretation requires a dogmatic, religious explanation....? What makes you think that? What makes you think I can't read the Bible and come to an interpretation that has nothing to do with anyone else or anything else? Just a question.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:37 pm
Questioner, Not quite is right :wink:

It sounds, er, 'structured'.

I grew up in a Congregationalist church (traditional New England, white steepled, liberal Christian, congregationally led, etc.) so I'm more familiar with the UCC position than what was described in your post. The Unitarians and Transcendentalists were offshoots from the early Congregationalist churchs so it was easy for me to find a home with the UUs.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:44 pm
Questioner wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

Your statement said you got an answer that we deserved no answers. You were given an answer that said maybe we aren't entitled to all the answers. Big difference, me thinks.

Sorry MA, don't follow what you're saying here.

I originally said that as of yet no person is entitled to ALL the answers. You misconstrued it and said because we are sinners we don't deserve a few answers.

You questioner, are not entitled to ALL the answers you want. I state this based on the fact that NO HUMAN has as of yet come up with all the answers. To have all the answers to every question is to be like God.

Do you follow? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:58 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
As far as my interpretation requires a dogmatic, religious explanation....? What makes you think that? What makes you think I can't read the Bible and come to an interpretation that has nothing to do with anyone else or anything else? Just a question.

I do think that you can... I just don't think you have. Your interpretation is basically similar to most Christian interpretations. I don't think the popular, Christian reading of the Bible is accurate. I think it would be impossible for someone to get the same message on their own. Isn't that the very reason that the Bible was kept out of the hands of the common people for so long? Only the well-indoctrinated were authorized to study and interpret it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:02 pm
Bartikus,

Ok, let me clear that up, hopefully.

I thought Questioner took the statement to mean we were not entitled to ANY answers.

I thought you pointed out we may not be entitled to SOME of the answers.

Was I wrong? I'm soooooooooooooooo confused!

Echi,

Will be back. This requires a bit of explaining.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:07 pm
Bartikus wrote:
I state this based on the fact that NO HUMAN has as of yet come up with all the answers.

Jesus did, right?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:08 pm
Bartikus wrote:
I originally said that as of yet no person is entitled to ALL the answers. You misconstrued it and said because we are sinners we don't deserve a few answers.

And I stand by that. That is in no way misconstrued. It is a given fact that every denomination of Christianity believes that no human is without sin. Therefore we are all sinners. You then claim that we are not 'entitled' to all answers. Why then would we not be entitled to those answers? What is keeping us from knowing the answers we seek? Sin?

But ok, I can see your point, so let's move on.

Quote:
You questioner, are not entitled to ALL the answers you want. I state this based on the fact that NO HUMAN has as of yet come up with all the answers. To have all the answers to every question is to be like God.

Horsesh*t, but let's go along with what you're saying.

Firstly, I didn't say I wanted all the answers. I said
Quote:
Good advice, except for the fact that you'll be left with little else than a bag of questions. . . at which point you'll have to get some theologian's opinion of what is meant.

I'm not making a demand for answers, I'm pointing out that you'll be left with almost nothing but questions.

But let's go ahead and overlook that small point as you did and blaze on ahead:

So what if I DID say I demanded answers? They wouldn't be the kind of answers that you might possibly be hinting at with your riposte. They would be more along the lines of "Does God really hate homosexuals?", "Do people that don't know about God automatically go to hell?", "Why do people really take Revelations literally, and should they?"

So let's say those were my questions. Now, why would I not be entitled to answers to questions like that? Questions that could have eternal consequences for my soul if I don't have an adequate answer that fits with whatever God has in mind?

Quote:
Do you follow? Rolling Eyes

Quite well, thank you. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

This
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1763823#1763823
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:40 pm
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

This
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1763823#1763823

Ah, Mesquite, my A2K monitor and conscience! How are you doing tonight?

Guess you haven't been doing your reading. I believe it was in this thread that I told echi I don't just read the Bible. I read a lot of books. I, of course, was talking about heaven in the Bible in that particular instance, so I think you took it just a wee bit out of context.

And I am still doing some reading and research on it. I am going to give Squinney a well informed answer. That is, if it's okay with you?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:51 pm
Tis fine with me. I was just answering your question.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm
mesquite wrote:

Well, that only partially answered it, as I said. But thanx!
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:11 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Bartikus,

Ok, let me clear that up, hopefully.

I thought Questioner took the statement to mean we were not entitled to ANY answers.

I thought you pointed out we may not be entitled to SOME of the answers.

Was I wrong? I'm soooooooooooooooo confused!

Echi,

Will be back. This requires a bit of explaining.

I understood what you said...it was the same thing I said.

Questioner is the one who had no idea what we were talking about.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:19 am
echi wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Why not?

Hey... I'll ask the questions 'round here.

So what's it gonna' be? Exist or not?

Seriously, I'm just asking for clarification of your beliefs. It's hard for me to compare what you're describing to what I believe until I know what you're describing. Dig?

Just catching up on this thread, but THAT was funny! Just had to say so. Laughing

Okay, back to catching up...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:59 am
Bartikus wrote:

Questioner is the one who had no idea what we were talking about.

Heh.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:45 pm
Bartikus,

Cool!
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
And I am still doing some reading and research on it. I am going to give Squinney a well informed answer.

You mean echi, right? Confused
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:37 pm
echi wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
And I am still doing some reading and research on it. I am going to give Squinney a well informed answer.

You mean echi, right? Confused

Actually echi, your answer and squinney's. Just keep getting interrupted here. Sorry. Will try to have it for you today.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:43 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:

Well, that only partially answered it, as I said. But thanx!

Which part was unanswered?
0 Replies