Why are you still a Christian?

echi

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:28 pm
I was raised a Catholic. I went to church at least once a week. I had religion class every day at school. I was just a kid, but I took my religion very seriously (even if I didn't understand it all). I listened to what my teachers said and what the priests said about God and Jesus, and I wondered how these people, who had devoted themselves to the message of Jesus, could be so unforgiving and close-minded.

I prayed to God often, and I felt I had a special relationship with Him, as I'm sure every Christian does. When I was about twelve or thirteen (after much prayer) I decided to put my trust in God instead of in the Church. I continued to pray to God and asked Him to let me know if I ever began to wander off. According to the Church I was on a highway to Hell, and it was, at times, pretty scary.

Since that time, I have been able to learn about things and develop ideas that would have been forbidden had I remained a Christian. I've had the opportunity to learn about other religions (with an open mind). I've been able to take an honest look at the history of Christianity and the Bible. And I have never wandered off for very long. In fact, I have grown up to be a very good and decent person. When I look back, it is obvious that what I had to overcome was the fear that the Church had deliberately instilled, and I wonder if there is any other reason a person would stay.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 17,427 • Replies: 403
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:01 pm
Hi echi,

This intrigues me. The reason I am still a Christian is because I know in my heart that Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of sins.

I know that the distortions of the Bible are manmade and not of God. I know that God is constant. He never changes.

He has done miraculous things in my life. He is my sustainer. I am afraid too many lean too heavily upon the church and not the Word of God.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:11 pm
The fact that your teachers and Priests were so unforgiving and closed minded is a fault of them and not Christianity. I am not Catholic, so I cannot speak to these things as it pertains to the church in general.

I do not find these things in my Church. The only highway that we consider is the road to salvation. Nothing else is an option and is not considered. We are not threatened, we are taught and inspired.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:12 pm
WoW echi,

I must admit this is a side of you I havn't seen til now.

I have to agree with MA.

When one feels the power of God, instead of what man turns God into, such as putting him in a box, making him seem evil, etc....it makes perfect sense to trust in only him. It's undescribeable and if more tried to walk with him, they would understand just what we see in him. He's Awesome.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:16 pm
Awesome indeed I'm the other one. He performed a miracle for me today. Oh sure, others wouldn't call it a miracle. But I was in this situation and no matter who I turned to to help with it, I got nowhere. I asked God to please help me solve this problem. Well, the very next person I talked to listened to me, understood the situation and took care of the problem.

Others might call it coincidence, but I know where it came from. I always know. He lets me know. I wish faith was something you could just give to people.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:18 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
The reason I am still a Christian is because I know in my heart that Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of sins.

Hi, Momma Angel

Can you explain a little about your understanding of what it means that "Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of sins."?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:21 pm
echi,

I would be happy to. Before Christ the punishment for nearly everything was death. Not just physical but I believe spiritual also.

God sent His son to this earth to walk among us and He was crucified on the cross. This was done because He took the punishment for our sins. Because of this, we no longer have to fear a spiritual death. Jesus fought the war of good and evil and He won. He did it so we would not have to suffer that spiritual death but can be washed clean of our sins and spend eternity with Him.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:22 pm
Intrepid--

Were you never taught that Hell is real? Were you never told that you are opening yourself up to Satan if you look beyond Jesus for answers?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:23 pm
No
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:24 pm
I was told the truth
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:25 pm
Momma--

We humans cannot really grasp all of that, true? Are you satisfied with the incomplete story that you've been taught?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:28 pm
echi,

Cannot grasp what? What I posted? Uh, yeah, I can grasp it and so have millions of others.

Incomplete story? What is incomplete about it?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:30 pm
echi,
It doesn't mean that Momma Angel has been taught an incomplete story just because she gave you the readers digest version. I think that she has a good grasp on the story.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:31 pm
Quote:
God sent His son to this earth to walk among us and He was crucified on the cross. This was done because He took the punishment for our sins.

What does this mean?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:32 pm
The only part that is clear is "He was cucified on the cross."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:33 pm
echi,

It means exactly what I said. Christ, being perfect and innocent, took on the sins of the world and was crucified on the cross so we no longer have to pay the punishment for our sins.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:38 pm
Momma, that's wonderful.

I know exactly what you mean too. I've been stumped many times to only find the answer I needed from him. Whether it be on the radio, thru another person, tv, Bible, thru prayer, you name it.

If only we could give them the faith, but I know why we can't.

*sigh*

So many things that get overlooked, he's so easy to see if our eyes and ears are open.

Wanda
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:39 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
echi,

It means exactly what I said. Christ, being perfect and innocent, took on the sins of the world and was crucified on the cross so we no longer have to pay the punishment for our sins.

Please be patient (as you always are). I just don't see the logic.

First, how did Jesus take on the sins of the world? What does it mean that Jesus took on the sins of the world?

I am even more puzzled by the second part, "and was crucified on the cross so we no longer have to pay the punishment for our sins."
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:41 pm
I'm the other one wrote:

If only we could give them the faith, but I know why we can't.

Why can't you?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:45 pm
echi,

I know it's difficult to understand why God made Jesus if you don't think he did.

Uhm...here's a little story that may help part of it a bit.

Let's say you created this little ant. Imagine. This ant you love sooo much and don't want to see it hurt. You watch this ant walking towards danger, possibly death and destruction. You can't get thru to the ant to stop him because, one...he can't see you. Two...he can't hear you. Three...you can't put your hand down in front of him, he will just walk right over it, and four...you certainly can't touch him without hurting him, so you decide to turn into an ant yourself and save him from ruining his life.

I know that doesn't clarify the crucifixion, but I read this in a book and loved it so I thought I'd share it.

Wanda
0 Replies