A Corrupt Dictatorship

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm

When Chinese Sue the State, Cases Are Often Smothered

By JOSEPH KAHN
Published: December 28, 2005

SHIQIAO, China - The peasants surrounded the clerk in the busy court anteroom, badgering him to let them sue the officials who had seized their land.

No, no, the clerk said, shaking his head and waving his hands, as the peasants recalled it. They were wasting his time and theirs. But as they withdrew, their legal papers remained on his desk in plain sight. Maybe, the peasants hoped, that meant the clerk had tacitly accepted their application to sue.

"In two years of trying every option under the law, this was a moment of optimism," said Li Huitang, a leader of peasant resistance in Shiqiao, a village in Hebei Province, in northern China. "We hoped he might rule on our request."

Even a written rejection would have been a bonanza, enabling them to appeal to a higher court. But it was not to be. The clerk soon called Mr. Li's home, ordering him to retrieve the documents. When Mr. Li declined, the clerk mailed them back in a plain manila envelope, unmarked, unprocessed and officially ignored.

China's legal system often hands down verdicts that the powerless consider unfair. But a bigger problem is that courts often refuse to issue any verdict at all - or even acknowledge that some bothersome legal complaints exist....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,035 • Replies: 8
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:07 pm
Communism is a scourge.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:19 pm
thank God we live in a corrupt democracy....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:22 pm
As with the thread on the Iranians banning western music, I find this to be deliciously ironic coming from you, Brandon.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:15 am
bvt/Cy
You guys crack me up and make my day. Oh the irony.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:19 am
Actually, I don't know, if China really is to be called a dictatorship [if I remember my classes in polical sciences correctly] but otherwise I agree with that article from the New York Times - a paper, called by Brandon on another thread today as being disloyal.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:58 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
As with the thread on the Iranians banning western music, I find this to be deliciously ironic coming from you, Brandon.

Cycloptichorn

Why? Have I ever supported fascism that you can cite?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:00 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Actually, I don't know, if China really is to be called a dictatorship [if I remember my classes in polical sciences correctly] but otherwise I agree with that article from the New York Times - a paper, called by Brandon on another thread today as being disloyal.

Are you asserting that there is a contradiction between calling them disloyal and asserting that many of their news stories may be truthful? I can't see it, so explain it to me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:11 am
I've nothing asserted.

When you look at what I posted again, you'll notice that I only gave a link to another of your threads.

You are of course free to interprete my writings in whatever direction you wan to as long as you don't change what I'd written itself.
0 Replies