Love....and it's source!

flushd

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 06:23 pm
boomerang wrote:
Obviously I think it is worth discussing or I wouldn't have stuck around and discussed it.

I don't worry too much if people think my ideas are "unworthy" of discussion as long as I gain a new understanding or at least a different point of view from the conversation.

I think this has been an interesting conversation.

Likewise. Sometimes the endless "you suck" gets draining. Laughing
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 05:59 pm
I don't think neuroscience can explain the purpose of love. That's not the purpose of science. Science does'nt answer the whys.

The constant 'you suck' is draining flushd. It takes from us far more than it gives.

For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. (KJV Romans 8:6

http://www.desiringgod.org/library/sermons/83/061983.html
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
Bartikus wrote:
Terry wrote:
So where does hate come from, if not ultimately from God?

From the same source that convinces you that God is not the source of love and thereby turning love inside out and upside down! Or the same source that convinces a person that love is not real.

How about a straight answer instead of evasions? Please specify the exact source of hate, if it was not God. If God intentionally created us and everything else, then who else could be responsible for us having the capacity to hate as well as love? He also created all the things that would trigger our hate response, as well as failing to give some people sufficient ability to love.

Of course love is real. So is hate. If God created one, then he also must have created the other. If you do not believe that God created hate as well as love, then please explain exactly where you think hate came from.

Quote:
Hate occurs when we consider ourselves to be the source of that which is good....(love) and measure another's worth by it! Hate has no mercy within it....and only seeks to destroy.

Incidentally it is not the person who is hated that is destroyed.....but the one that hate resides in that is. It destroys that which matters most in man......his spirit!

What a load of BS. Hate does NOT comes from considering ourselves to be the source of good - if that were true, none of us would hate anyone.

Expressed hatred can certainly destroy the object - whether by violence or psychologically. It can also destroy the hater, of course.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:20 am
Bartikus wrote:
I don't think neuroscience can explain the purpose of love. That's not the purpose of science. Science does'nt answer the whys.

Science can and does answer some of the whys. Parental love enhances our ability to survive. Romantic love enhances our chances of reproducing our genes. Altruistic love aids group survival, which in turn enhances the individual's chances of survival.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:06 pm
Terry wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
Terry wrote:
So where does hate come from, if not ultimately from God?

From the same source that convinces you that God is not the source of love and thereby turning love inside out and upside down! Or the same source that convinces a person that love is not real.

How about a straight answer instead of evasions? Please specify the exact source of hate, if it was not God. If God intentionally created us and everything else, then who else could be responsible for us having the capacity to hate as well as love? He also created all the things that would trigger our hate response, as well as failing to give some people sufficient ability to love.

Of course love is real. So is hate. If God created one, then he also must have created the other. If you do not believe that God created hate as well as love, then please explain exactly where you think hate came from.

Quote:
Hate occurs when we consider ourselves to be the source of that which is good....(love) and measure another's worth by it! Hate has no mercy within it....and only seeks to destroy.

Incidentally it is not the person who is hated that is destroyed.....but the one that hate resides in that is. It destroys that which matters most in man......his spirit!

What a load of BS. Hate does NOT comes from considering ourselves to be the source of good - if that were true, none of us would hate anyone.

Expressed hatred can certainly destroy the object - whether by violence or psychologically. It can also destroy the hater, of course.

I gave 'BS' and you ask for more? Why? To set me on the straight path? Do you care about my perspective and wish to help me?

If you are THE source and THE definition of that which is good....will not all who do not meet such a standard fall short. I never said a person can't be A source of good or A source of bad. We all can and all have been.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:17 pm
Terry wrote:
Bartikus wrote:

Science can and does answer some of the whys. Parental love enhances our ability to survive. Romantic love enhances our chances of reproducing our genes. Altruistic love aids group survival, which in turn enhances the individual's chances of survival.

I agree that Science can answer SOME of the whys for SOME people.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:11 pm
Any question can be answered by fiction.
But if you seek a truthful answer some questions cannot yet be answered.
That there is a large contingent convinced that we already have all the answers to everything speaks of willfull ignorance and arrogance.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:15 pm
Doctor, Do you practice magic? Do you practice rituals
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:18 pm
Yes, but that is something else entirely, and would be desrving of it's own thread.
For now, I'll just point out that the Satanic aproach and definition of these things does not undermine or contradict any position I have forwarded.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:25 pm
There remains far more questions than answers and with every answer many more questions abound.

God has them and always has and always will.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:49 pm
Quote:

There remains far more questions than answers and with every answer many more questions abound.

Truer words never spoken.....
Quote:

God has them and always has and always will.

....but'cha shoulda quit while you were ahead.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:10 am
you remind me of someone in `'A gathering of shadows' ` forum.
0 Replies