Love....and it's source!

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:23 pm
boomerang wrote:
You wouldn't live at all - you'd be beyond brain dead, you'd be dead dead as parts of the limbic system control reflexes, respairation, heartbeat, etc.

On a higher level the limbic system controls emotion. The release of certain "stress" hormones during early development can forever complicate one's ablitly (yes, ability) to bond, or attach, or, dare I say it.... love.

Go ahead and say it...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! lol

im a silly boy
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:31 pm
boomerang wrote:
You wouldn't live at all - you'd be beyond brain dead, you'd be dead dead as parts of the limbic system control reflexes, respairation, heartbeat, etc.

On a higher level the limbic system controls emotion. The release of certain "stress" hormones during early development can forever complicate one's ablitly (yes, ability) to bond, or attach, or, dare I say it.... love.

The limbic system that controls....Love....operates at a higher level than even.....breathing?

Sounds like the spiritual.

Matthew 4:4. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Genesis 2:7 (KJV) records the creation of man in the beginning. "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

Am I right by saying that the species as a whole would not have survived without the higher functions of the limbic system....ie. Love?

Not just breathing or eating but Love.....made it possible?

The release of certain "stress" hormones during early development can forever complicate one's ablitly (yes, ability) to bond, or attach, or, dare I say it.... love.

These "stress" hormones...seem familiar as well!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:37 pm
Thanks for the laugh! Razz
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:38 pm
Which part do you find funny? What scripture says or science?

Oops i know...it's my inabilty to use proper sentence structure.

I assure you....although you do not laugh alone....not everyone is laughing!

As long as we remain true to our pursuit of truth.....

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." (Matt. 7:7-8)

If not....we deceive ourselves.

Romans 1:20
For the invisible (Spiritual) things of Him (YHVH) from the creation of the world are clearly (easily) seen, being understood by the things that are made (The physical or created things), [even] his eternal power and G_dhead; so that they are without excuse:
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:36 pm
I can no longer go any further with intellectual discussions about truth.

I will only say that all truth begins and ends with God.

Jesus is the savior of mankind.

He will come in to your heart if you ask him and will be Lord if can accept him.

Man is indeed imperfect and sinful. Sin has indeed made it's mark first on our spirit and now in it's flesh.

God does love us and if a person can except Jesus Christ as their personal saviour.....even that ability goes to God's credit lest no man should boast.

I can not take credit for anything I am able to do...not even the breath I take. May all the glory be to God.

I try to tell others because God loves us all....but not all will listen.

I often mess up but, I know God loves me and will forgive me if I am sincere in my heart and ask for forgiveness and he will do the same for anyone who calls upon him and truly seeks to repent from our ways and want to live according to his.

Even this desire comes from him. Ask him to help you and ask him to give you a greater desire (love) for him....he will answer. Seek truth first in his word and don't give up.

God can change our hearts for the better through Jesus Christ and save us. If you desire this just ask him.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:47 pm
Bartikus, I wasn't laughing out of cruelty or mocking. Sheeeeesh.

I simply found the exchanges within this thread funny. Cheers.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:04 pm
I suppose it is a little funny to have two such opposite sides discussing the issue.

Bartikus will never convince me that God or "heart" have anything to do with love and I will never convince him that it is simply a neurological process, an abiltiy that one can learn.

But I'm curious too, flushd, about what you found funny and what you think "love" is.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:07 pm
flushd wrote:
Bartikus, I wasn't laughing out of cruelty or mocking. Sheeeeesh.

I simply found the exchanges within this thread funny. Cheers.

Then my apologies for assuming and making an _ _ _ of myself!

Cheers to you as well.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:08 pm
boomerang wrote:
I suppose it is a little funny to have two such opposite sides discussing the issue.

Bartikus will never convince me that God or "heart" have anything to do with love and I will never convince him that it is simply a neurological process, an abiltiy that one can learn.

But I'm curious too, flushd, about what you found funny and what you think "love" is.

That's because Bartikus is not God and neither are you...lol That's a good thing for us all i think.

In time truth will be discovered I suppose...have a good new year!

I'm glad you put heart in quotes.

I just find it strange how the physical evidence discovered by science...kinda "mimics" some of the spiritual truths described in the Bible?

I think this scripture claims that eventually by evidence.....the word will one day prove itself!(maybe through scientific evidence)

Romans 1:20
For the invisible (Spiritual) things of Him (YHVH) from the creation of the world are clearly (easily) seen, being understood by the things that are made (The physical or created things), [even] his eternal power and G_dhead; so that they are without excuse:

Maybe mankind can learn and keep the ability to love on their own.

even future generations....may retain it. If not...it may be the beginning of man's end.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:36 pm
No problems. I'll try my best to express myself here, but this thread really is best expressed with a laugh! Laughing

I am wary of the word LOVE being thrown around. Bartikus made it clear what his intentions were - to use LOVE within his religious framework.
I know what it means to be manipulated by LOVE. To hear mental ideas and 'heartfelt' expressions of LOVE which only serve to twist the actual facts and warp life.

As far as my sense of what love is and where it comes from - Questioner came the closest in explaining it. I Don't know. It is not a thing, an idea, an action, a right or a priveledge. I can't put my head around it. It is something I am actively learning and exploring every day.

Boom, I do get where you are coming from and see a lot of value in putting an emphasise on daily actions of LOVE. IMO, there is a level of learning and skill concerning experiecing love. I think it is somewhat dangerous, though, to confine such a large country as LOVE to scientific explanations and brain chemistry.
I also think it is dangerous (and now I am not address ya Boom) to categorize LOVE within subject-object. This whole idea of GOD being the source of love, or a PARTNER being a source of love, or anything at all really burns me.

I wish I was a better writer, painter, sculpter, whatever so that I could show yall what love is to me. The best I can do though is live and learn and hopefully I have gotten across the good feelings this thread actually gives me.

"Love is the expression of all feelings". I like that quote; especially bc I grew up quite neurotic and found showing emotion so difficult for so long.
In that line, hate fits in there. The first man I felt warm and fuzzy towards was a man who allowed and tolerated my hate.

Thanks.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:43 pm
No, thank you, flushd. I see where you're coming from too.

I think the brain is capable of the most amazing things. Sort of like what other people may think of as "God".

I don't think "love" is a bigger country than "fear" or "happiness" or "grief" or any other emotion. I think they all take a lot of effort to maintain.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:01 pm
Yes, that's true too Boom. If you grow learning to maintain fear or grief, it becomes a huge world, as large as love. I suppose a lot of it is where we put our attention.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:21 pm
I guess it's true that love cannot be defined by a book....or a person's mind. Maybe it is something we just discover, experience....and appreciate along the way.

Maybe life is too short to take anything too serious. Humor is definately required at times.

I guess love can only be defined in us individually and means different things to different people. No person's version is truer than another's.

I think hate can only be tolerated (at best) by one who loves us.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:47 am
Well, I've read through all eight pages, and this has got to be the most inane, worthless, and just plain stupid thread I've ever seen. And I'm including all the ones I started, so that's really saying something.

Congratulations, Bartikus. You've managed to waste eight pages (so far) on a thread that is truly about nothing.

I'm so jealous.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:53 am
Kicky,
visit here post-sexual-encounter and you may feel differently. :wink:
then again, maybe not.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:21 am
bartikus wrote:
I think hate can only be tolerated (at best) by one who loves us.

I don't love you. If you hated me I wouldn't give a sh*t. Thus, I am tolerating your hate with out loving you.
I'm guessing you meant it in a different way.

kickycan wrote:
Well, I've read through all eight pages, and this has got to be the most inane, worthless, and just plain stupid thread I've ever seen. And I'm including all the ones I started, so that's really saying something.

Congratulations, Bartikus. You've managed to waste eight pages (so far) on a thread that is truly about nothing.

I'm so jealous.

My thoughts exactly.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 04:27 am
kickycan wrote:

I'm so jealous.

Well, that opinion is formed in the same place love is.

It's all in your head! So stupid...inane...worthless.

Crazy...your not tolerating anyone's hate or anything else unless the hate they feel is being acted upon in some way either by their words or by their deeds and perceived to be directed at you.A person's Hate or Love is'nt real to others until then.

Which is more stupid...starting a thread about nothing...or someone pointing to nothing and saying "look...it's nothing"?

No kicky...lol Laughing Congratulations to you!

To hear mental ideas and 'heartfelt' expressions of LOVE which only serve to twist the actual facts and warp life.

How can you (flushd) know the purpose of any 'heartfelt' expression of LOVE from another when you clearly admit this.

As far as my sense of what love is and where it comes from - Questioner came the closest in explaining it. I Don't know. It is not a thing, an idea, an action, a right or a priveledge. I can't put my head around it. It is something I am actively learning and exploring every day.

I merely stated God loves us and love is a gift!

Boom and I agreed that love was a good thing and just disputed where it comes from.

Neuroscience suggests that the ability to love helped man survive as a species. Scripture seems to agree.

I'm confused....what is being twisted?

Kicky,
visit here post-sexual-encounter and you may feel differently.
then again, maybe not

A topic about sexual encounters is "worthy".....The topic of love and it's importance ...."worthless"?

Can anyone see where this path of thinking could lead? I know where it leads...I've been on it. It takes from a person far more than it gives!

For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. (KJV Romans 8:6

I don't know....maybe the neuroscientists can answer. How about you boomerang....how important is love to you? Is it worth even discussing?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:25 am
Obviously I think it is worth discussing or I wouldn't have stuck around and discussed it.

I don't worry too much if people think my ideas are "unworthy" of discussion as long as I gain a new understanding or at least a different point of view from the conversation.

I think this has been an interesting conversation.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:34 am
Obviously love finds it's source within the great benevolent and kind heart of the magnificent flying spaggetti monster, may you be touched by his great noodly appendage.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:37 am
Bartikus wrote:

Neuroscience suggests that the ability to love helped man survive as a species.

And so our protagonist thwarts his own argument, without ever realizing....
0 Replies