Questioner,

I'm speechless at your last answer. Shocked

Then my work here is done. Very Happy

Why speechless?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:31 am
neologist wrote:
Bart; If God is a loving God, how do you explain human suffering?

If you give your child something they do not want or put them in a situation they do not like....is it not human suffering to them?

Is there anything of value to be gained by the suffering a child may endure?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:34 am
Bartikus wrote:
neologist wrote:

If you give your child something they do not want or put them in a situation they do not like....is it not human suffering to them?

Silly question.

You don't inject a child with cancer and watch them die over a period of several months.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
Questioner wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

But doesn't religion/God predate science?

Obviously. In the absence of adequate tools to gain answers, primitive man turns towards his own imagination to supply the info.

Quote:
The main reason religion exists is so that we have a method of explaining away the things Science can't currently tell us.

Okay, I'm confused. So, you think religion was made up long ago in the absence of science to explain everything and when man progressed he then came up with science to explain everything?

Essentially, yes.

How does science explain love? Chemical...electrical impulses right? I guess a person's love can only be as strong as the meaning they attach to it.

Love is a word. What is important is the meaning behind it. Without it's meaning....love is....nothing.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:38 am
Questioner wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
neologist wrote:

Silly question.

You don't inject a child with cancer and watch them die over a period of several months.

Who injects cancer?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
Love comes from the same place hate comes from. Either they both come from God, or they are both produced by electrochemical processes in our brains.

So do you think hate comes from God? If so, why?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:40 am
Bartikus wrote:

How does science explain love? Chemical...electrical impulses right? I guess a person's love can only be as strong as the meaning they attach to it.

It currently doesn't, thus this thread.

Quote:
Love is a word. What is important is the meaning behind it. Without it's meaning....love is....nothing.

The meaning and the reason for the emotion are immaterial. They are only brought up here in an effort to use the unexplained as proof of the unknowable.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:43 am
Terry wrote:
Love comes from the same place hate comes from. Either they both come from God, or they are both produced by electrochemical processes in our brains.

So do you think hate comes from God? If so, why?

Hate does not come from God but has allowed it temporarily. Hate cannot sustain itself forever by it's very nature it destroys. Like cancer....even death. Hate is felt and passed on by the hearts of men....it's source is different.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:44 am
"The meaning and the reason for the emotion are immaterial."

Immaterial to what....to whom?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:47 am
I guess it's hard to put into words, MommaA but I'll try.

To me love is paid for in a thousand tiny kindnesses every day and it can be a lot of hard work to both give and recieve. It isn't automatic. It is easy to say "I love you" but it is really hard to mean it.

Mo's mOther always says "I love you" to him on the rare occasion that we see her and I don't doubt she means it.

She left him here for "a few days" almost three years ago and never came back for him.

Is that "love"?

I rock him when he cries and stay up nights when he's sick and help him fight off his demons and tell him he can't have ice cream for breakfast (okay, once in a while he can) and teach him how not to be a bully and wipe his butt and tickle him silly and play endless rounds of Slap Jack with him and can recite Thomas the Train stories by heart.

I dare anyone to tell me that THIS is not love.

Love might be some cosmic, esoteric emotion but it is exhibited, given, and recieved in practical action.

THAT is how its earned.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:50 am
Bartikus wrote:
"The meaning and the reason for the emotion are immaterial."

Immaterial to what....to whom?

To anyone not being driven to define them by an ulterior motive.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:50 am
How can one regard the reason and meaning of love as immaterial and regard hate as anything else?

How can one be concerned about the effects of hate without love?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:51 am
Bartikus wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
neologist wrote:

Silly question.

Who injects cancer?

If we were to go along with your original analogy, that would be God.
0 Replies

Terry

Bartikus wrote:
Hate does not come from God but has allowed it temporarily. Hate cannot sustain itself forever by it's very nature it destroys. Like cancer....even death. Hate is felt and passed on by the hearts of men....it's source is different.

So where does hate come from, if not ultimately from God?
0 Replies

Questioner

Bartikus wrote:
How can one regard the reason and meaning of love as immaterial and regard hate as anything else?

How can one be concerned about the effects of hate without love?

I'm not unconcerned about the 'effects' of love and hate. What I am unconcerned with is how these two disparate emotions came into being.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:58 am
boomerang wrote:
I guess it's hard to put into words, MommaA but I'll try.

To me love is paid for in a thousand tiny kindnesses every day and it can be a lot of hard work to both give and recieve. It isn't automatic. It is easy to say "I love you" but it is really hard to mean it.

Mo's mOther always says "I love you" to him on the rare occasion that we see her and I don't doubt she means it.

She left him here for "a few days" almost three years ago and never came back for him.

Is that "love"?

I rock him when he cries and stay up nights when he's sick and help him fight off his demons and tell him he can't have ice cream for breakfast (okay, once in a while he can) and teach him how not to be a bully and wipe his butt and tickle him silly and play endless rounds of Slap Jack with him and can recite Thomas the Train stories by heart.

I dare anyone to tell me that THIS is not love.

Love might be some cosmic, esoteric emotion but it is exhibited, given, and recieved in practical action.

THAT is how its earned.

So then only those who give it can truly deserve it?

Then it remains a gift to those who don't....but for how long?

"I rock him when he cries and stay up nights when he's sick and help him fight off his demons and tell him he can't have ice cream for breakfast (okay, once in a while he can) and teach him how not to be a bully and wipe his butt and tickle him silly and play endless rounds of Slap Jack with him and can recite Thomas the Train stories by heart."

sounds like someone I know.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:02 pm
It sounds like a lot of people you know, I imagine - every mother who loves their child, for example.

I don't think anyone deserves it - I think they earn it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
Questioner wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
neologist wrote:

Silly question.

Who injects cancer?

If we were to go along with your original analogy, that would be God.
Just because Bart gave an incorrect answer does not mean that suffering is somehow part of God's purpose or that God initiates suffering. I asked the question because many of my believing friends have no idea how or why we got to this point.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:16 pm
Terry wrote:
Bartikus wrote:

So where does hate come from, if not ultimately from God?

From the same source that convinces you that God is not the source of love and thereby turning love inside out and upside down! Or the same source that convinces a person that love is not real.

Hate occurs when we consider ourselves to be the source of that which is good....(love) and measure another's worth by it! Hate has no mercy within it....and only seeks to destroy.

Incidentally it is not the person who is hated that is destroyed.....but the one that hate resides in that is. It destroys that which matters most in man......his spirit!
0 Replies