Sky falls in Vermont; residents shaken, not stirred

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 04:14 pm
Ow, but but but there hadn't been anything new in No. Am. in a while. Plus the falling rocks, well, it's a dang public service. Plus the news of the vampires and the inner dominatrix and the higher guns. This is high art, I tell ya.

PS DD if you want something featured just ask. If the vampires haven't gotten to me, I'll do my best to oblige.

Will the FSM save me from the vampires? Tune in tomorrow.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 04:17 pm
No. Vampires are quite pasta-friendly. Also, as purportedly immortal beings, the FSM can't afford to offend them as they are potential worshippers. Gotta keep the little FSMs in pesto, ya know?

Just kidding about the featured thread, anyway.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 04:28 pm
I know re the feat. thingie. Smile

Pesto, gadzooks, I gotta cook.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 05:59 pm
Jespah was infected by a bite from a vampiric hamster. This gives her magical powers.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 06:00 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Is there a Vermont state of mind? Is it stoned? Would anyone notice? Why is Rhode Island?

There are many states of mind. There's the NE Kingdom (otherwise known as Larry, Darrell, and Darrell land or the northern edge of Appalachia - can you say inbreeding?); there's the Burlington area (which is NOT too hilly and because it's home of UVM it has a lot of the culture of a larger city in a small city of 40,000) - plenty of stoners in the Burlington area; there are the ski areas of central and southern Vt which are pretty pricey and trendy because, well they are ski areas. There are small towns and midsize towns throughout and the last I knew they were pretty well stoned or drunk or pregnant or whatever people do to make it through the long, cold winter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:29 pm
It has always seemed rawther plaidish when I've driven through Vermont. And the PBS announcers speak verra verra slowly - almost as slowly as in Maine.

An odd sorta phenomenon, that slow-talking thing. Makes me crazy. Makes me want to speak faster than I already do.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:44 pm
I agree with plaidish. I think the slow-talking is more of a rural thing. I couldn't get over how slowly everyone spoke when I first moved to IL .

There are different twangs throughout the state as well. The folks in the Kingdom have one twang (more like Maine), the Connecticut River Valley (where I was born) has another, and the Burlington area is different yet.

I still have people ask me where I'm from because my accent is so unusual. Funny, I don't notice it at all. :wink:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:57 am
I have two coworkers from VT, one is from NE Kingdom. She's a lovely lady and definitely talks fast at work, but if you hear her on the phone with her folks, it's a different story.

Burlington is hilly on the approach from South Burlington. There's a highway, ack, I've forgotten which #, and it's a pretty big hill. But otherwise, B. is pretty nice although most of what I've seen of it involves the little intergalactic spaceport (I used to train people in South Burlington).
0 Replies