Sky falls in Vermont; residents shaken, not stirred

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:47 pm
Car-sized boulders slam into city street

Tuesday, December 27, 2005; Posted: 8:45 a.m. EST (13:45 GMT)

CNN wrote:
Police evacuated about 50 residents of the North Branch apartment complex after the rock slides.

MONTPELIER, Vermont (AP) -- A series of rock slides dumped boulders the size of cars across a downtown street Monday, forcing about 50 people to evacuate as debris spilled up to their doorsteps.

The first slide happened shortly before sundown, spreading stones and several tall trees across the road and bringing down power lines.

"There was a loud noise -- I thought it was a plow coming through -- then a flash of light, and then the big stuff started coming down," said Howard Curtis, who lives nearby.

Additional slides continued for roughly two hours. Police said no one was injured.

Rocks, trees and dirt fell some 60 feet from the cliffs that rise above the city, falling onto a block-long portion of Vermont Route 12. Officials estimated the boulders weighed from 20 to 30 tons.

Authorities evacuated about 50 residents of an apartment complex across the street from the cliffs as debris piled up to their doorsteps.

Emergency workers also evacuated several homes above where the slides began because of concern about parts of the cliff collapsing.

Stephen Gray, Montpelier's public works director, said the slide was probably caused by recent swings in the temperature combined with rain Sunday night. "We've had freeze and thaw, and then it probably froze again," he said.

Evan Shper, 16, was walking toward the center of the city when the rock slides began and dialed 911 on his cell phone.

"I stood there for about five seconds," he said. "Then we heard a huge sound. A huge part was coming down with a tree on it. I started running."

Ai yi yi. Flying rocks sounds like something out of the apocalypse. Why the heck weren't those people wearing their tinfoil hats like they've been warned to?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,580 • Replies: 27
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:42 pm
Rock beats tinfoil....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:44 pm
True that. Do ya think rubber over the tinfoil (I mean rubber, not a condom) would provide a bounce so that, if you were struck in the head by a flying boulder, it would bounce off, preferably landing in your neighbor's yard?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:46 pm
Only if it hasn't been exposed to kryptonite.

The good news, is that at the end of the world there will be no sun. We'll all be so busy fighting off the vampires that we won't have time to worry about anything else.
0 Replies

dlowan

No.
0 Replies

fishin

Maybe I should re-think buying property in Vermont.... Surprised
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:48 pm
You two are both odd and prolix.

I appear somewhat succinct and sensible.

Does it have to do with the fact that I have to go to work in a few minutes?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
DrewDad wrote:

The good news, is that at the end of the world there will be no sun. We'll all be so busy fighting off the vampires that we won't have time to worry about anything else.

Yeah, that is good news.

fishin', dontcha wanna live in NH - any place that has as a motto "Live free or die"! has gotta be good for something. Plus there's no sales tax. Vermont has flying boulders. And Burlington, VT is far too hilly. I rest my case.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:52 pm
jespah wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Yeah, that is good news.

fishin', dontcha wanna live in NH - any place that has as a motto "Live free or die"! has gotta be good for something. Plus there's no sales tax. Vermont has flying boulders. And Burlington, VT is far too hilly. I rest my case.

What about the rest of the world?

Oh, of course, Asia's too crowded, Europe's too old, Africa's far too hot and Canada's too cold, South America stole your name....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:53 pm
jespah wrote:

NH has higher property taxes and gun laws. Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:57 pm
You have to have higher guns?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:58 pm
It has higher gun laws?

And South America needs to give the name back or I'm telling ... uh ... somebody.

DD, tell me about the vampires. But nothing too scary. I don't want to have nightmares. Thanks.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:01 pm
lol Silly peoples! Two seperate concepts joined by a conjunction. NH has gun laws period! VT has very few (if any) gun laws.

but umm.. yeah, I have higher guns too. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:03 pm
With a drinking habit like that, they oughta be taken away.

How's the inner dominatrix going, BTW?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:06 pm
Is there a Vermont state of mind? Is it stoned? Would anyone notice? Why is Rhode Island?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:07 pm
Why I hardly drink at all! Now that I have the tube hooked up properly the direct injection method is much better.

I got teh inner dominatrix a nice leather bustier for Xmas. It seemed like the right thing to do.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
Better question is who Rhode Island.

The vampires, BTW, will only be deterred by true wooden pencils. Those plastic thingies don't hurt 'em. So grab a couple boxes of pencils and one of those air-powered paintball guns. Oh, and some Wholly Water. None of that Gatorade stuff.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:34 pm
Don't believe all the stories you've heard...Vermont is perfectly safe and wonderfully welcoming to small groups of tourists (who we often ship off to Montpelier on rock hunts).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:35 pm
Who thinks it unfair that Jespah features her own threads? Hmmmmm?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:37 pm
Where is Chicken Little when we need her?
0 Replies