500 kids still classified as missing from Katrina

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:09 pm
I was shocked when I heard on the radio that there are over 500 kids that are still missing from Katrina. Not dead, missing! I thought that it would have people glued to their TV sets for days until most of them are found. We've heard for months about a young white girl missing in Aruba, and it's national news when a white girl goes missing from a wealthy community. Everybody knows about those cases. But how many of you knew that there were still over 500 missing kids from Katrina? Where is the media on this? Our corporate media system is a sham!

Here's the story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,191 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Drake80

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:18 pm
Whats that old saying, a thousand deaths is a statistic, and one is a tragedy?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:37 pm
Well, I always change the channel when there's another missing girl story. I have nothing against missing white girls, I'm just tired of seeing their tragedy exploded by the media for profit. But this story raised an eyebrow. And I didn't hear about it on television. I heard about it on a talk show.

I bet you if one of those kids were a wealthy white girl it would be all over the news! But, they're all just poor black kids so who cares. Like it says in the story, most of the kids are probably safe with a family member. Even though the person that reported them missing doesn't know where they are. Doesn't anybody else find this appalling?
0 Replies

Drake80

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:08 pm
Elian makes the news worldwide. Nari the chimp makes the news worldwide. ****, a celebrity goes missing for a couple of days, it's a nationwide search until they turn up and say they went on vacation. 500 kids missing... afterthought.

I think it's a clear indication that the media is only interested in news others are interested in so Paris Hilton's latest faux pas takes precedence over serious matters. Ratings are important, content isn't. Besides, trying to talk to 500 pairs of parents wouldn't be easily compressed into a 10 minute "expose" and middle aged people are rarely photogenic.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:24 pm
500 ******* children missing and its NOT on the damn news?????
Appalling???? this is utter bullshit you ask me.

FIVE HUNDRED CHILDREN are missing... and NOONE is giving this ANY news coverage to HELP these parents find thier kids and help KEEP these missing kids from the arms of child predators?

I had no clue that many kids were missing.
Actually, I have no clue how many people are still considered missing.. no matter what age.
Last I heard on the news about N.O was that they were begining to re-build.. what ever that broad statement covers.
Flights have been dropped down to less then 5 a day in and out to the airport and most of the flights have been detoured to Dallas.

Sad part, there was more info on the news about the damn ass flights then there were about the people and what was going to be done to help them get back home.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:23 pm
I think some of the parents abandoned some of these kids at a hotel I stay at in Houston.

That might explain the 3:00 AM hallway races and elevator stuffing contests.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:33 pm
I understand one of the problems of keeping records in the wake of a disaster is that families don't think about bringing the records up to date. They assume that if they have a child back, that The Powers That Be know the child has been returned.
0 Replies