New NBC Drama Show Mocks Christianity

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 03:16 pm
By "outside the states" do you mean Jupiter?
0 Replies

The Pen is

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:51 pm
Jupiter, yes. Or failing Jupiter, Europe, North Africa...
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:03 am
NBC has successfully slated the show for cancellation...gee, what were the odds of that happening? Maybe now they will be able to bring back Boomtown.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
Just to stir the pot a bit (and since this has been cancelled I guess it is a rather moot point), but do you think NBC would have green-lighted this series if it were about a Muslim cleric with a screwed up family who has chats with Mohammed (sp?) instead of an Episcopal priest?

Personally, I seriously doubt it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:26 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Just to stir the pot a bit (and since this has been cancelled I guess it is a rather moot point), but do you think NBC would have green-lighted this series if it were about a Muslim cleric with a screwed up family who has chats with Mohammed (sp?) instead of an Episcopal priest?

Personally, I seriously doubt it.

Probably not, but only because there are not enough people who watch TV shows (and buy the sponsor's products) who could relate to this kind of show. The name of the game is selling SUVs and soap powder.

0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
True Phoenix. And it is that difficulty in selling the show to the sponsers (many I am sure scared off by the concerns of a large portion of consumers with strong religious ties) that was the demise of this show.

While the whole concept of the show was repulsive to me, I certainly have no desire to censure what TV shows hit the screen and which ones don't. After all, I have the power to decide what I view or don't view. And if enough people don't view something, it will disappear quite quickly enough. And such is the case here.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:44 am
CR has a point about the Muslim cleric, sitting down with Mohammad.

It wouldn't happen.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:02 am
I probably caught about 15 mins of this show and regardless of the religious twang, I was bored. I didn't find it entertaining ... in that 15mins anyway.

I think comedy shows can be wrapped around a religious theme or environment and not be disrespectful. For example, what about "The Vicar of Dibley"? It is an English program and it's hilarious. Their success has more to do with the humorous story-lines and the skills of the actors than any religious plot. It is taken, by most who view it, as a comedy where the lead actress happens to be a vicar in a quiet English town.

Or we used to have an Irish show called "Father Ted". Absolutely brilliant.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:05 am
I love the Vicar of Dibley.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:19 pm
Heeven wrote:
I probably caught about 15 mins of this show and regardless of the religious twang, I was bored. I didn't find it entertaining ... in that 15mins anyway.

That was about as much as I was able to withstand as well. The show was axed because it fell flat more than due to people not watching for religious reasons.
0 Replies

The Pen is

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:29 am
Father Ted was surreal, that great sequence of the various priests sneaking around in the lingerie section of the department store. And Father Jack.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:48 am
I never did see the Book of Daniel show but I have seen some previews of the Sons & Daughters show that I believe Phoenix mentioned (either in this thread or another one). I don't know if it mocks the Jews or the Jewish religion but I haven't found the previews very funny at all. Anyone else seen them?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:35 pm
Not me. I never even heard of that show.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:20 pm
Sorry Phoenix, I thought it was you. Maybe it was J_B? Oh well, doesn't matter. From the previews I saw it didn't seem that it was very offensive. The jokes just weren't funny. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 05:43 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Sorry Phoenix, I thought it was you. Maybe it was J_B? Oh well, doesn't matter. From the previews I saw it didn't seem that it was very offensive. The jokes just weren't funny. Crying or Very sad

Yeah, I have heard several people making complaints about the commercials being offensive- I just thought they were ridiculous. I'm embarassed to say, b/c I think i might be outnumbered here, but I thought they were pretty funny. I'm a big fan of unscripted type comedy shows - and this looks like that. I'll willing to give it a chance for sure .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 06:01 pm
happytaffy,

Don't be embarrassed. Not everyone finds the sames thing serious or funny. It's not a thing. I am going to watch the first show just to see what it's like myself. Who knows? Might just have been teasers in the previews.

I don't have great timing in telling jokes so my critique might be a bit off! :wink:
0 Replies