Problem with my dad.

eoe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:36 pm
sozobe wrote:
All she's getting is "double standard" -- even if it applies (I don't think it does, here, for a few reasons), how is she supposed to make use of that? Just stop feeling what she's feeling? That would be a useful skill, but not many people have it.

Pointing out one's errors often helps them to correct or at least confront them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:46 pm
Oh, for sure.

I just don't think being creeped out by her dad's young girlfriend is necessarily a double standard.

Example -- a woman says that she loves giving blowjobs in one post. Then in another she says that her dad said his new girlfriend gives great blowjobs and she was creeped out. Is that a double standard, or just that she doesn't want to think about her dad's sex life?

If her dad is seeing someone who is his own age, then one can think it's more about things in common, companionship, that sort of thing. If he's seeing someone who is so much younger and he has less in common with, the first thing you think of for their connection is sex.

Not saying she can't get over it, but not sure if it's an error per se to be creeped out by it. Especially if she's not insisting he do anything to accommodate her creeped-outed-ness.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:54 pm
Interesting mirror in the relationships there... I think I'd be creeped out too, and not just by my dad's relationship.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:57 pm
(Yeah, there is that -- seems like there could be a whole bunch of dysfunctional stuff going on.)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:21 pm
Princess, the best thing to do is to just say what you feel in a non-accusatory way. Like:

I don't feel comfortable being around you when you're around 'what'shername - girlfriend'. I like her and I love you - I just don't feel comfortable with the two of you together just yet. I'd be happier seeing you alone, Dad.

It's almost always better to deal with situations as they arise, otherwise they fester. You're making statements about how you feel, not about his behaviour, remember.
0 Replies