I thought this was interesting...Bob & Bing & frankfurters

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 05:46 pm
Tonight, I was listening to an old radio broadcast of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, circa 1954.

Being that I can't do their humor any justice, I won't repeat the routine here, but here's the part that intrigued me:

Bob and Bing and a woman (didn't catch her name) were talking about having a party and Hope said he'd already sent the woman hot dogs as his contribution to the party. She said she only got "200 empty skins," and what was she supposed to do with them?

Hope said she should fill them, of course, and she and Bing asked, "with what!"

Hope said, "you could use those turkeys I sent over earlier."

At this point the audience rolled, and Bing and Bob began to lose their composure. Bing then said (between explosions of laughter), "you could call them 'turkeyfurters'"

At this point everyone fell apart and the audience nearly died from laughter. I, however, didn't see the humor in the bit.

This got me to thinking...how absurd it must have sounded to make hot dogs out of turkey. I, on the other hand, grew up with just such a product, and thus didn't find the humor.

Just reminded me that in order to understand history, you have to try to view it from the perspective of the ones who were there.

GeneralTsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 537 • Replies: 1
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:31 pm
I still listen to the old shows now and again. That particular bit of humor I don't get either.
0 Replies