Senate Blocks Alaska Drilling!

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:48 am
Or so says the NY Times online--more details forthcoming, no doubt...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 951 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:51 am
Here comes the right wing to talk about how the dems are traitors for holding up the defense spending bill......
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:20 pm
The vote for the bill was 56--to few to block a filibuster.

Poor Ted Stevens, the Senate won't allow him to foul his own nest...
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:46 pm
Sen Stevens is a greedy, dispicable,........................
0 Replies

StSimon

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:18 pm
rodeman wrote:

That description can be expanded to include Alaskan residents as well!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:22 pm
StSimon wrote:
rodeman wrote:

Why?
0 Replies

StSimon

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:50 pm
woiyo wrote:
StSimon wrote:
rodeman wrote:

Why?

The reason they back drilling so strongly, they get a government check for their personal take of the oil receipts. If the new drilling is approved, they get a bigger, fatter check! I think that supporting the destruction of ANWR because you've been bribed is less than a wonderful trait!

They also get $2. back from the Feds for every dollar they send to WDC. I for one think they should pay their share of running the country! Why should the other States pay their share??
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:13 am
StSimon wrote:
woiyo wrote:
StSimon wrote:
rodeman wrote:

Why?

The reason they back drilling so strongly, they get a government check for their personal take of the oil receipts. If the new drilling is approved, they get a bigger, fatter check! I think that supporting the destruction of ANWR because you've been bribed is less than a wonderful trait!

They also get $2. back from the Feds for every dollar they send to WDC. I for one think they should pay their share of running the country! Why should the other States pay their share??

First, let me state that as a Native American, I have some bias here towards the Alaskan Natives. Having traveled some in Alaska and interacting with the NAtives and learning about how we, and prior the Russians, basicly destroyed thier heritage, customs and land for our own "greedy pruposes", and seeing how the Natives live in basic "poverty", I will always support their desire to compensate the Natives for abusing their land and "stealing" money without reinvestment back into the State of Alaska.

Alaska is a JEWEL and while I support ANWR, I expect the people of Alaska to be compensated also.

As it relates directly to oil and gas, I was SHOCKED to see gas prices 30% higher in Alaska than on the mainland. In a State without roads to the Capital city, and its dependance on air and sea travel, I do not see the requests as unreasonable by Sen Stevens.
0 Replies

StSimon

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:12 pm
Woiyo, I'm not sure how to respond to this. Are you telling me that the only people getting a check are Native Americans? Another thing is that you sound like you're supporting further rape of the land because they should be recompensed for the rape of the land? You won't find anyone that supports the issues regarding Native Americans more than I do, but this sounds like a vicious circle. Rape the land, recompense the NA's, rape the land, recompense the NA's, rape the land ...

How does that solve the problems?? How much rape do we allow to recompense the NA's for the rape? It seems like we are doing something by sending them twice the money that they send to WDC.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:26 pm
Every resident of Alaska is entitled to compensation from my understanding.

The Natives and long time residents of the State, from my getting to speak with them, are not necessarilly against drilling in ANWR so long as it provides jobs for them, and they respect the land and wildlife. The current pipeline, so far as I have been told by the people of the State, seems to meet that criteria.

From their perspective, and mine, the oil is there for a reason, for us to use. They believe, as I do, nature has developed the land, wildlife and resources for our use.

We need to use it wisely and fairly.
0 Replies

StSimon

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:58 pm
Woiyo, I think there are just some things that we shouldn't destroy. I think ANWR is one of them. The human race is despoiling the very world they live in for greed, money, and power. We are poisoning it, and destroying it's capability to repair itself. We've poisoned the oceans(mercury), which is one of our primary food supplies. If we don't curtail that, we will make it unusable. We're cutting down the rain forests at a record rate, which destroy natures capability to convert carbon dioxide back to oxygen and atmosphere. Now I'm an old ****, so it won't affect me, but I have major concerns for my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I feel that I owe them a clean world to live in and enjoy just like I have.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:25 am
StSimon wrote:
Woiyo, I think there are just some things that we shouldn't destroy. I think ANWR is one of them. The human race is despoiling the very world they live in for greed, money, and power. We are poisoning it, and destroying it's capability to repair itself. We've poisoned the oceans(mercury), which is one of our primary food supplies. If we don't curtail that, we will make it unusable. We're cutting down the rain forests at a record rate, which destroy natures capability to convert carbon dioxide back to oxygen and atmosphere. Now I'm an old ****, so it won't affect me, but I have major concerns for my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I feel that I owe them a clean world to live in and enjoy just like I have.

Understood and agree in principle. Yet, we, as a people, are unwilling to live in a "bubble'. We are unwilling to "live" without our A/C, Cars, fancy houses, etc...

Has the world body, specifically the US and Canada, do ANYTHING to find alternative fuel sources. NO!

Have we done ANYTHING to make more fuel efficient cars? NO!!

This is a 2 way street and the people must fight the Govt and Corp corruption to insist they do these things.

Until then.....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
woiyo wrote:
StSimon wrote:

Understood and agree in principle. Yet, we, as a people, are unwilling to live in a "bubble'. We are unwilling to "live" without our A/C, Cars, fancy houses, etc...

Has the world body, specifically the US and Canada, do ANYTHING to find alternative fuel sources. NO!

This is a 2 way street and the people must fight the Govt and Corp corruption to insist they do these things.

Until then.....

It's not true that we've done nothing to find alternative fuel sources or make more fuel-efficient cars. Biodiesel fuel and hybrid cars come to mind. Of course (I anticipate the rebuttal), these are a sliver of the market. But a growing sliver.

Policy support for alternatives to fossil fuels would help, but that's something that this administration does reluctantly, at best...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:16 am
D'artagnan wrote:
woiyo wrote:
StSimon wrote:

Until then.....

It's not true that we've done nothing to find alternative fuel sources or make more fuel-efficient cars. Biodiesel fuel and hybrid cars come to mind. Of course (I anticipate the rebuttal), these are a sliver of the market. But a growing sliver.

Policy support for alternatives to fossil fuels would help, but that's something that this administration does reluctantly, at best...

Now FINALLY after what 30 years of having the Govt tell us about foreign fuel dependancy are we beginning to see a "sliver" as you say.

When this govt stops providing incentives for "doing something" and starts penalizing companies for NOT doing something, will we see real progress in this area.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:41 am
Incentives are still worth a try. There can be incentives for US car companies to finally wake up and create alternatives to SUVs, and tax incentives for consumers to buy 'em. In fact, the latter exist. It's a start.

As for mandates, there are fuel-efficiency mandates, but they're so watered down as to mean nothing.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 12:35 pm
Do you think the US govt has the "balls" to try this for an incentive to Detroit?

If you do not build all cars with 40 MPG in 2 years, your sales will be taxed at 100%.

How's that for an incentive.?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm
Sounds draconian! That's more of a penalty than an incentive.

But I do think there should be higher mileage standards. GM, Ford and Chrysler can continue to build gas hogs, but they should be made to create cars that get better mileage. As long as they hit an average for their fleets, they can make as many SUVs as they want.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 12:57 pm
woiyo wrote:
When this govt stops providing incentives for "doing something" and starts penalizing companies for NOT doing something, will we see real progress in this area.

Why not both? The ol' carrot AND stick.
0 Replies