help! I need a translation for a prop ASAP

Allrie

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
I am making a prop--it is to be a scroll from which a Centurion will "read" in English the following (but I'm to have it in Latin on the scroll.

In the name of the senate and people of Rome, Greetings.

I, Caesar Augustus--chosen by the gods and ordained by the will of the people--ruler of the world, do hereby decree that--for the continuing glorification of Rome and the health of the Empire--a new tax is to be levied. All hose living under the benevolent and loving protection of the divine Augustus are commanded to return to the city of their forefathers for proper counting and assessment of taxes.

...in Rome, Caesar Augustus, Imperator.

Also, if anyone has a source for what a scroll of the period would actually look like--I would appreciate the help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 337 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:54 am
How will the audience see the writing on the "scroll"? If the audience won't actually see it, I'd save my energy for recreating the physical "scroll" that they can see.

Off the top of my head, without research, I can tell you that paper didn't exist in Roman times and you'd be dealing with some sort of leather.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:59 am
Hi Allrie, welcome to A2K.

It would probably have been a papyrus scroll. Google for images with those two words and you'll find lots of examples. I agree with Noddy that if the audience won't see it, it can really be gibberish. (Or the actor's lines if necessary.) Of course, if it's for TV or film, you may need something that appears to be Latin.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:02 am
Well, we've got folks here who could translate it, but it may take a while.

Since it's a stage prop seen from afar, I would just get a random piece of
Latin of about the right length and use that.

Unless your presenting it at the Vatican, who's gonna know?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:01 pm
A decree of this sort would be posted as well as read and would likely be of leather rather than papyrus.

After all, not everyone spent the entire day in the marketplace.
0 Replies

Allrie

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 05:11 pm
Thanks all. I believe it will be first read, then posted, so it will be seen. While I doubt that anyone present at the initial viewing would know the difference, this will be open to the public, so one never knows...My first scene design teacher liked to tell the story of one of his early shows--Aida. The director requested hieroglyphics around the proscenium arch. My teacher complied, using whatever he could find. Wouldn't you know it--opening night a professor of ancient languages, in town just visiting attended, and complained. With his help as to what to put up, the proscenium was repainted that night. Hence my care.
0 Replies