something is fishy to me.

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 04:17 am
i need an outside perspective on something here.

a few days ago my boyfriend went away for holidays, and i am supposed to meet up with him on the 23rd after i get my father from the airport.

so basically he is all on his own right now.... >_<

he called my sisters house, to drop off some things i sent with him, and my sister did not recognize the number he called from. when she called me about 15 minutes later she asked me if i knew the number and i don't. i needed to relay a message to my boyfriend, but i didn't have enough minutes on my cell right then to waste it on long distance, so i told my sister to call that number back and ask to speak to him etc....

well a woman answered the phone, a young woman, and when she was asked if my boyfriend (he has a very unique name) was there, she claimed not to know him, but also said that this was her apartment and she lives alone.
later that night when my boyfriend called me i asked him where he called my sisters house from and at first he was like .. huh.. what?.... then he told me he called from his moms house. but i know his moms house and cell numbers, and he DID NOT call from there.

am i just being paranoid, or are my fears justified right now?
the only 2 things i can think of is that maybe he cheated on me or he was scoring some sort of drugs which i just cant imagine him doing.
so option a seems really likely to me right now SadSad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 868 • Replies: 14
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:20 am
I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly, but I can understand your concerns. Is there a reason why you think he is either cheating on you or scoring drugs? And if he is scoring drugs, why would you want a druggy for a boyfriend? Oh well, that is beside the point. Without knowing much about your relationship with him prior to this incident, it is a bit tough to suggest anything other than sitting down with him and telling him that you need to know what he was doing calling from that number.

Maybe beforehand it would be good to do a reverse lookup on the number and see if you get a name and address for it. You could hit him with that information if he continues to deny calling from the number.

Bear in mind you leave yourself open to his accusing you of not trusting him and going behind his back checking up on him. But that is a risk that personally I think you should take if you are really concerned about this.

Good luck. And Merry Christmas.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:24 am
No, you are not being paranoid, and I agree with Coastal Rat. Check out the number that he called from, and then ask him who that person is. If he is cheating, better find out sooner than later.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 05:20 pm
Before you do anything - just something to think about-

It is entirely possible that the caller ID data got jumbled when the call was made. This is especially true if you are making a call to/from a cell phone.

All it takes is one noise spike (those scratchy noises you hear on the phone while you are talking are caused by noise) while the caller ID data is being sent and the number displayed on the caller ID will be wrong.

The phone line into my house is especially bad and I get the wrong caller ID numbers for people fairly often.
0 Replies

PrincessYanu

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:30 pm
Well I took your guy's advice and did a check on that number.

Totally private.

As for the drug thing, I really can't see him doing it. It was just something that popped into my head, so I had an alternative to the cheating scenario.

I don't really know what to think, but every instinct I have is screaming at me that he's cheating.

All I know is it's time for a very long talk.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:21 pm
Could it be that it wasn't him that called? Did your sister ask the woman if she had called her?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:30 pm
I'm not sure if fishin's point was picked up on -- it's an important one. It could be purely a technological glitch (the fact that it's a private number doesn't mean anything in particular in that scenario).

If that's the case, I don't think "a very long talk" will help anything at all -- he'll plead innocence, you'll be suspicious, he'll plead louder, you'll be more suspicious, he'll get irritated that you don't trust him, etc.

I mean, go ahead and talk to him, but prepare yourself for a dead end, and how you'll react to that if so.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:05 pm
Is he that dumb that he would call a house, with a really good chance that there is caller id, from a line that he didn't want you to know about? Think about it. If he'd hiding something, he isn't doing a very good job of it.

Another thing, where did he "go away" to? Home? Maybe he was at an old friends house and when he was asked for she simply said "no, he doesn't live here." And if your sister pressed, she just said she didn't know him because seriously, what would you do if someone called questioning you like that?
0 Replies

PrincessYanu

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:43 pm
Well I feel so much RELIEF right now, but i also feel like an idiot.
The lady is a dog breeder. I've been harassing my boyfriend for some time to buy me a teacup chihuahua, and that's what he was doing.
I told him about the whole situation and how I was so paranoid, and he laughed at me, but then he made a very serious face, and said "I'm so sorry you were worried".
Would have been quite touching if he didn't laugh at me first lol.

I am just so relieved even if I do feel like a moron.
What a week this has been for me.
0 Replies

Leggsly

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:03 am
Good for you, you're lucky. See, sometimes better not to jump to conclusions.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:14 am
Yep!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:20 pm
Sounds like a sitcom plot, Princess! Glad it all worked out happily. Smile
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:22 pm
I just got a call from a guy wanting to buy my chihuahua as soon as possible.....
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:24 pm
Laughing Shhh, don't make her nervous again...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:21 am
So, how are you doing, Princess?
0 Replies