Reading Problem

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:20 pm
Does anyone have any problems remembering what they're reading? It happens alot to me. I'll read a book, and i find it very interesting, but a few weeks following, I won't have a clue what the book was about. Could it be some sort of adolescent prognosis of future alzhiemers?

Is there anyway I can improve my reading capacity?

Any tips are welcome and appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,191 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:26 pm
Are you speaking of technical/educational material, or fiction. If the latter, I doubt it's a precursor of alzheimers. I've been doing that all my life, and it hasn't gotten a bit worse. I'm 61, by the way.

For more serious reading, I hold little imaginary conversations with myself about the text, and that seems to help settle it in place. Of course, if you're an adolescent, it's not good to be seen talking to yourself. At 61, I think it's kind of expected.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:27 pm
No, Roger, sounds like you're running about 10 years ahead of schedule.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:44 pm
So glad to hear I'm getting ahead. They always said I needed one.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
They do come in handy at times, but for the most part are overrated.
0 Replies

atypical10

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:04 am
I don't think not being able to remember what you've read is a prognosis of alzhiemers. Alzhiemers is a degenerative disease. To improve your reading maybe after reading each chapter of the book visualize what you think is going to happen next and what happened in the previous chapter.
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:19 am
I only read books that dovetail into my life style. I live along with the author as the pages turn from one to the next. I remember them all, but sometimes re-read them. Being an engineer, I have to read technical stuff a lot. I have to concentrate to absorb the information, and mainly locate material as to where I can return to it as needed.
0 Replies