Rain Forest #65 - Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:35 pm
THE WOODPECKER

A Hawaiian woodpecker and a Californian woodpecker were arguing about
which?place had the toughest trees. The Hawaiian woodpecker said Hawaii
had a tree that no woodpecker could peck. The Californian woodpecker
accepted his challenge, and promptly pecked a hole in the tree with no
problem. The Hawaiian woodpecker was in awe.

The Californian woodpecker then challenged the Hawaiian woodpecker to peck
a tree in California that was absolutely unpeckable. The Hawaiian
woodpecker was confident he could do it, so accepted the challenge. After
flying to Calif ornia, the Hawaiian woodpecker successfully pecked the tree
with no problem.

So the two woodpeckers were now confused. How is it that the Californian
woodpecker was able to peck the Hawaiian tree and the Hawaiian woodpecker
was able to peck the Californian tree, but neither one was able to peck the
tree in their own state?

After much woodpecker pondering, they both came to the same conclusion:

"The pecker is always harder when away from home."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:14 pm
The Bird God will get you for that, sumac. Don't walk under any low-hanging branches! Smile
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 05:01 pm
snicker
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 06:11 pm
LOL sumac, that's a good one...........!

Hi - close to the edge - MA,

And a Holiday Hallo to all Wildclickers.....

We have a - speaking of such things - rising !!!! rate in our clicking all of a sudden....!!! That's really great news. It must the the season - or, possibly sumac's funny.......grin

Aw cwicked..........
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:04 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 285 friends have supported 2,156,233.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 90,366.3 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 285 friends have supported: (90,366.3)

American Prairie habitat supported: 44,990.1 square feet.
You have supported: (11,166.5)
Your 285 friends have supported: (33,823.6)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,020,877.2 square feet.
You have supported: (167,419.5)
Your 285 friends have supported: (1,853,457.7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1320 49.493 acres
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:22 pm
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/vol310/issue5756/images/medium/1896-1-med.gif

World's tallest tree at 113 meters - Northern California redwood

Science 23 December 2005:
Vol. 310. no. 5756, pp. 1896 - 1897
DOI: 10.1126/science.310.5756.1896
Prev | Table of Contents | Next

News Focus
TREE GROWTH:
The Sky Is Not the Limit
Elizabeth Pennisi

Trees can live thousands of years but can't grow hundreds of meters. Tree biologists are discovering why
Transplanted to New York City, the tallest tree in the world would shade the Brooklyn Bridge. Moved to Pisa, it would be twice the height of the Leaning Tower. At 113 meters, this record California redwood begs a question: Why do some trees grow so tall? Scientists, of course, see the question from a different perspective: Why don't trees grow even taller? "This is one of the big mysteries in plant growth," says Brian Enquist, a functional ecologist at the University of Arizona, Tucson.
Genetics clearly has something to do with tree height variations: You don't see many towering dogwoods, and conifers tend to top hardwoods. The environment also plays a key role; that redwood wouldn't be so giant in scrubland. But neither genetics nor environment can fully explain why, no matter the species, as a tree gets taller, its growth rate slows, sometimes dramatically. In Australia, mountain ash (Eucalyptus regnans) saplings can sprout more than 2 meters per year. By age 90, the tree is inching up just 50 centimeters per year, and by age 150, upward growth has ceased. And the gradual stalling of tree growth is not just an academic issue. Foresters care because maximum tree height is a good predictor of a stand's productivity, and environmentalists want to know the role of tree height and forest growth in the regulation of climate changes.

The obvious answer to why trees stop growing is that they simply get old and "feeble." But new evidence seems to discount this cause, at least to some degree. Now, researchers--some of whom have been hoisted to canopies with construction cranes to take a look at what happens at the tops of trees--are focusing on water transport and photosynthesis. Newly published and unpublished results suggest that the function of water-conducting cells declines as a tree pushes ever higher. "Thanks to this work, the state of the field is changing rapidly," says Karl Niklas, a plant biophysicist at Cornell University.

Size matters
Maurizio Mencuccini, a forest ecologist at the University of Edinburgh, U.K., has been retrieving the growing tips of old trees to test whether age-related genetic changes are at the root of maximum tree heights. He and his colleagues have just finished a study of ash, sycamore, Scots pine, and poplar trees to tease apart the effects of a tree's age and size on growth, as the two are intimately connected.

Mencuccini hypothesized that if age is the primary reason growth slows, an elderly tall tree's growth tips should still grow slowly when grafted onto young rootstock. Leaves and needles should look "old" as well. However, if tree size itself is the key to the changes seen in "aged" trees, then an old graft on young roots should resume growing fast and have the leaves of a much younger tree. As Mencuccini's group reported in the November Ecology Letters, growth tips from old trees resumed normal growth when grafted onto the rootstock. "Basically, it's size that matters, not absolute age," says Mencuccini. But "we still don't fully grasp why size is so important in affecting tree physiology," he adds.

Other tree researchers have been reevaluating a proposal dating back 50 years that looks to photosynthesis as the arbiter of tree height. At that time, the rationale was that extensive root or wood growth and respiration would eventually outpace the leaves' ability to produce enough energy to sustain those tissues. If that were the case, growth would become so slow and incremental that the tree couldn't keep up with natural losses such as die-back of the crown and would get stuck at a particular height. In the past decade, however, experiments have shown these energy-deficit explanations to be flawed. Neither roots nor woody growth hogged as much energy as researchers had thought.

In the 1990s, Michael Ryan, a forest ecologist now at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service in Fort Collins, Colorado, and his colleagues found that leaves on smaller, younger trees are much more photosynthetically productive than leaves at the tops of taller trees. The reason, they surmised, might be that the higher leaves lack sufficient water, so he and Barbara Bond, a forest ecologist at Oregon State University, Corvallis, proposed what they called the hydraulic limitation hypothesis. "As a tree grows taller, it gets harder to pull water to the top," and that shortfall curtails photosynthesis, summarizes Bond. Friction is the problem, she adds: The farther the water has to travel, the more resistance it encounters.

To check out their hypothesis, Ryan and Bond focused on stomata, tiny pores on the leaf's surface that can close to slow water loss that comes about as evaporation sucks water up the tree and into the air, leaving the leaves high and dry. But stomata also take in the carbon dioxide necessary for photosynthesis, and Ryan and Bond found that the stomata on the uppermost leaves close frequently, presumably because the top of the tree isn't getting sufficient water and needs to limit further loss through evaporation. This curtails needed carbon dioxide intake. As a result, "trees stop growing when their ability to transport water to their leaves becomes insufficient [for photosynthesis]," explains Roland Ennos, a biomechanicist at the University of Manchester, U.K.

Less water at the top of a tall tree also means lower hydrostatic pressure, or turgor, within cells, which is necessary for plant cells to expand. At some point, water pressure inside cells at the tops of trees may drop enough to stop cell growth directly. Bond, as well as Frederick Meinzer and David Woodruff, plant ecophysiologists at the USDA Forest Service in Corvallis, were among the first to show that this decrease in pressure might affect tree growth. And the role of hydrostatic pressure was borne out in 2004--at least in the world's tallest trees. George Koch, a tree biologist at Northern Arizona State University in Flagstaff, and his colleagues reported that redwoods need hundreds of kilograms of water a day to keep their cells thriving, and turgor in 110-meter-high needles was half that in 55-meter-high needles. Based on this trend, his team calculated that redwoods could not exceed 130 meters in height.

Green giant. At 113 meters, this northern California redwood is the world's tallest known tree.
CREDIT: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC/GETTY IMAGES

Others are finding that connections between water-conducting cells may affect the ultimate height of trees. Unpublished data by Jean-Christophe Domec and his colleagues at Oregon State University, Corvallis, indicate that pores in these connections shrink to cope with the increased water tension. If the pores get too small, tree growth stalls. But, as Jarmila Pittermann and colleagues at the University in Utah, Salt Lake City, report on page 1924, the height at which resistance reaches this tipping point differs between conifers and hardwoods. The relatively larger pores in these connections in conifers allow for more water flow, potentially giving conifers a chance to tower over other types of trees.
But water-transport problems can't be the whole story. Ryan and his colleagues tracked photosynthesis, water flow, growth, and other parameters of eucalyptus seedlings in Hawaii for almost 7 years. The older, 25-meter trees grew much more slowly than the younger ones, Ryan and his colleagues reported last year. The work did demonstrate that photosynthesis slowed, but water was too plentiful to be the cause. "Our simple idea that getting water to the tree top limits height growth is not correct for all trees," says Ryan.

Although it's clear from all these studies, says Ryan, "that taller trees are different physiologically from shorter, younger trees," he and his colleagues still don't know how these differences stop tree growth. Solving that mystery remains a tall order.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:12 pm
Wow!

I just remembered something (creeping senility, y'know). I'm going to be away for most of next week, begining Saturday. Planning to spend the holiday in Montreal. Can some one of you wonderful folks click for me? ehBeth has all of my information. I think you do, too, Dan, since you clicked for me last Summer.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:45 pm
Keine problem, Merry Andrew.

I'll begin Saturday the 24th and click for you until you come back on line.

To be on the safe side - PM me your clicking info. I'll be happy to click for you.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:32 am
Sumac - thanks for that great tree info - fascinating.
I was so busy reading it that I let that magic minute go by and got caught with a "Our records show that you have already clicked" message. So much for that double click today. Oh,well.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:58 am
Merry Andrew,
Since you will be away having fun next week I wish you an early -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:03 am
Happy Birthday, MA. With creeping senility, can be assume that you are getting up there in years?

Thanks, pwayfarer. I thought it fascinating as well.

And I'll have to remember that magic minute bit. I always wondered how folks did that. I'll try it.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:04 am
And I want to be a member of this group. It isn't enough to be a wildclicker. How do I get on the team and have my clicks count along with yours?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:16 am
Happy early Birthday, MA!
And good question, sumac!

I'm clicked in for today!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:33 pm
Hi Wildies,
If you used the URL we published to access the Care2 site and signed up on that page then you are or should be listed as an AKTer. Better ask the boss about it.
ehBeth!!!!!! help.

Oh, and the extra minute thingy. A couple of years ago I could just click, signoff, reaccess the URL from my address Favorites and get an immediate free click. Then things changed but I kept trying for a freeby in between named clicks. It became apparent to me rather quickly that almost every OTHER try at a free one worked. So, I quessed that the managers of the site placed a time limit in between freebies of about 60 seconds. I tried it and it works everytime for me. I usually just play Minesweeper in between because it usually takes about 60 to 90 secs to play a game and there is a second timer to watch also. I don't have anything else to do.

Ok, here I am in the kitchen preparing a goose (Danish style) - with Red Cabbage (Austrian style) - cornbread dressing, Sweet Potato (my recipe, mashed hot from the oven with butter and brown sugar), a green salad and a gurkin salad (Austrian style), and finally, cranberry sauce (Patti's recipe). For those who don't know, my Patti has MS and can't stand and do stuff so I have learned to cook. She's the best cook - I mean really really good. And, I have tasted the best from all over the world.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7747/christmas054ed.jpg

Aha!! The printing on my front sez, "Don't Make me Poison your food!"
grin
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 03:23 pm
You look truly professional in that blue apron, Dan. I'm impressed. I love to cook, but don't get much of a chance most of the time. And thank you kindly for the early birthday wishes. Sumac, up in years? Me? I'm just an adolescent at heart. (Oh...wait...no, I act like an adolescent most of the time. But that's not quite the same thing, is it?)

Be on the alert for a PM, Dan.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 03:29 pm
Fantastic photo
Fantastic apron
Fantastic kitchen
Fantastic meal
Fantastic danon!

Proud to know you - and as always, gentle hugs to your Patti.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy birthday in advance, sweetest of Andrews.

~~~~~~~~~~

Set and the dogs and I will be heading out to the hamburgers tomorrow morning. I'll continue clicking while we're away, but I'm not sure I'll have enough time in my puter share <3 people/1 puter> to post here regularly.

Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings, Happy Holidays and much love to all of the WildClicking crew.

~~~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 285 friends have supported 2,156,842.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 90,717.5 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 285 friends have supported: (90,717.5)

American Prairie habitat supported: 45,060.3 square feet.
You have supported: (11,166.5)
Your 285 friends have supported: (33,893.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,021,064.5 square feet.
You have supported: (167,442.9)
Your 285 friends have supported: (1,853,621.6)
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:33 pm
Wildclickers, wishing all a peaceful and happy holiday....

http://www.bizart.com/christmas/image-files/ag_tree7.gif
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:48 pm
Ditto, for me as well, Stradee!
Dan, aren't you just awesome for taking up cooking duties! My sister-in-law has MS as well. I hope Patti is doing as well as possible. Hugs, and wishes for a Merry Christmas to all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:30 pm
http://gifbrothers.com/gifwork2/tree02.gif
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 06:02 am
oops! I was so busy commenting on birthdays and aprons that I almost missed the magic minute - but of course I lost my post.
ANYWAY. Fabulous photo, Danon.Reminds me of a wonderful French cook in my very own kitchen for 34 years (well, it was HIS kitchen, really) . He made the best paté in the world.

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y, M E R R Y A and a merry Christmas to boot. Have a wonderful day, wherever you are.
0 Replies