Rain Forest #65 - Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!

Magginkat

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:58 pm
I thought I was being clever by clicking on the Rain Forest link about 11:45 pm Central (my) time and then about 12:30 tried to click again thinking I would kill two birds with one stone!

The rascal wouldn't allow me to click again even though it was the 'next' day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:18 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 285 friends have supported 2,184,985.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 92,848.1 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 285 friends have supported: (92,848.1)

American Prairie habitat supported: 46,137.3 square feet.
You have supported: (11,330.4)
Your 285 friends have supported: (34,806.9)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,045,999.9 square feet.
You have supported: (168,028.2)
Your 285 friends have supported: (1,877,971.7)

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1338 50.158 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:00 pm
Magginkat, you have reminded me of my very favorite poet - the Robert Burn's himself - who is the culprit that catched the phrase we know as = "the best laid plans of mice and men."....... However, the actual quote (from my own 1892 copy of 'Selected Poems of Robert Burns) is as follows = "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft a-gley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promised joy."

It's at the end of a poem where-in he is describing an incident which happened to him while plowing his field during November, 1785. He turned up a mouse nest with his plough and wrote the poem - 'To a Mouse' to commemorate the occasion. It begins = "Wee, sleekit, cowrin', tim'rous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie! Thou need na start awa sae hasty, wi' bick'ring brattle! I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee, wi' murd'ring pattle! I'm truly sorry man's dominion has broken Nature's social union, an' justifies that ill opinion, which mak's thee startle, at me, thy poor, earth-born companion, An' fellow-mortal!"

It goes on greatly........

An, in tha end it sez =

"Still thou art blest, compar'd wi' me! The present only toucheth thee: But, och! I backward cast my e'e on prospects drear! An' forward tho' I canna see, I guess an' fear!"

He's really great............
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:16 pm
The Burns peom that got me back during the early '70's was = "To a Louse" where-in he is sitting behind a lady in church one Sunday and see's a louse crawling upon her bonnet. He begins = "Ha! whare ye gaun, ye crowlin' ferlie! Your impudence protects you sairly: I canna say but ye strunt rarely, owre gauze and lace; Tho' faith, I fear ye dine but sparely on sic a place."

It goes on and at the end sez =

"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us to see oursels as others see us! It wad frae monie a blunder free us and foolish notion: What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us, and ev'n Devotion!"

That did it for me - he is the greatest in those so simple terms.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:12 am
I remember both of those poems so well. Good to read parts of them again.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:49 pm
This is a very important article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/11/AR2006011102121.html?referrer=email&referrer=email

Warming Tied To Extinction Of Frog Species

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 12, 2006; A01

"Rising temperatures are responsible for pushing dozens of frog species over the brink of extinction in the past three decades, according to findings being reported today by a team of Latin American and U.S. scientists.

The study, published in the journal Nature, provides compelling evidence that climate change has already helped wipe out a slew of species and could spur more extinctions and the spread of diseases worldwide. It also helps solve the international mystery of why amphibians around the globe have been vanishing from their usual habitats over the past quarter-century -- as many as 112 species have disappeared since 1980.

Scientists have speculated that rising temperatures and changing weather patterns could..."
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:50 pm
magginkat

Maybe the site is on Pacific Time?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:51 pm
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1427

Augustine Volcano in Alaska
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:52 pm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060111082100.htm

Deciphering the Mystery of Bee Flight

This one is for the pilots.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:54 pm
Did I post this one?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060110094036.htm

Zebra Finches Remember Songs Dad Sang

Researchers at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, believe they have located a place in the brain where songbirds store the memories of their parents' songs. The discovery has implications for humans, because humans and songbirds are among the few animals that learn to vocalize by imitating their caregivers.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:13 pm
New, and important.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/12/tech/printable1204943.shtml

Pollution's Big Six Endorse Gas Plan

SYDNEY, Australia, Jan. 12, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(AP) Six of the world's biggest polluters endorsed a voluntary plan Thursday that they claim will reduce their greenhouse gas emissions 30 percent by 2050, but environmentalists called it an empty promise that will only benefit big business.

The United States and Australia pledged a combined $127 million to help finance the six-nation Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate. The partnership's plan calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions by promoting renewable energy sources and cleaner ways to use coal but avoids setting targets for reducing emissions.

The group also consists of rapidly expanding, energy-hungry nations China and India, as well as South Korea and Japan. Together, the six countries produce half of the greenhouse gas emissions worldwide.

The top U.S. delegate said the group, which has called itself AP6, would tackle global warming blamed for rising sea levels and increasingly severe weather events like the hurricanes that lashed the United States last year, while not curbing economic growth.

"I believe the partnership will not only succeed but serve as a model for simultaneously enhancing economic growth, promoting sustainable development, and at the same time addressing issues related to global climate change," U.S. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman told a news conference.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said efforts to improve energy efficiency and invest in green technologies could reduce greenhouse gases by 30 percent from current levels by 2050 in the six countries, citing a study released Thursday by the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics (ABARE).

But environmentalists disputed the study, and claimed the AP6 plan would cause greenhouses gases to rise 100 percent by 2050.

"There couldn't be anything more irresponsible than to knowingly embark on a path toward massive increases in emissions and runaway global warming," WWF-Australia CEO Greg Bourne said.

The group agreed at its two-day meeting to set up eight working groups of government and business leaders to promote investment and research to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in energy-hungry industries like steel, aluminum and cement manufacturing, as well as electricity generation.

The energy measures favored by the U.S. and Australia included greater use of such renewable sources as wind and solar power, and treating coal so it gives off fewer greenhouse gases when burned or burying the gases underground.

Environmentalists said the the group was focusing too heavily on untried technologies to prop up the fossil fuel industry, and not enough on renewable energy sources.

"Thanks to the work of the Australian and U.S. governments, the delegates to this meeting have agreed to continue the coal trade while watching greenhouse pollution double by 2050, and they have the gall to call that climate protection," Greenpeace climate campaigner Catherine Fitzpatrick said in a statement.

Australian Prime Minister John Howard defended the plan, saying that coal, oil and gas will remain the dominant source of energy.

"The world will go on using fossil fuels for many years into the future because it's more economic to do so," Howard said. "So, therefore, it's elementary common sense that you should try and make the use of fossil fuels more greenhouse gas sensitive, you should try and clean up the use of fossil fuel."

Howard pledged to pump 100 million Australian dollars (US$75 million) over five years into the effort to fight global warming.

James Connaughton, chairman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality, said that President Bush will seek $52 million in his country's 2007 budget to manage the partnership's work.

Canberra and Washington have often been criticized as the only major industrialized nations to refuse to sign the Kyoto Protocol, which legally binds countries to targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 2012.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:18 pm
sumac, I Bee in your debt for the article on the insects flapping habits. Interesting.

The pollution situation will more than likely continue until it begins to seriously kill enough people that it affects the business worlds income. It's all about the money. But, maybe I'm just getting more jaded in my old age. grin
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 05:04 pm
Excellent articles, sumac!

No, you're not jaded Dan - just know how the system of corporate greed works is all. Pompo and Doolittle <are you ready for those names or what?> two CA 'lawmakers' attempting to destroy the Endangered Species Act for their corporate buddies...

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/1/8/231449/3708?source=weekly
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 08:04 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 285 friends have supported 2,186,343.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 92,965.2 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 285 friends have supported: (92,965.2)

American Prairie habitat supported: 46,160.7 square feet.
You have supported: (11,330.4)
Your 285 friends have supported: (34,830.4)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,047,217.4 square feet.
You have supported: (168,051.6)
Your 285 friends have supported: (1,879,165.8)

Anyone up for the creation of the 67th WildClickers Ballroom?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:43 am
Stradee - great names for stupid asses. And I fear that you are correct, Dan.

Yes - someone else take it away. I have posted lots of interesting articles here, and will continue to do so. But I'm not much of a dancer.

Will go click.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:12 am
Morning all,

clicked in for Ma, Aa and Me. ((Maaame))

--------

Back later, since nobody clicked - - -

I found this photo that I took in my airplane in the Puget Sound area just N of Seattle. It is false color film - which translates roughly to = any living green thing appears in shades of red and other things like dead or diseased plant life will show up in shades of black or dark brown. I always thought this photo was unique and interesting..............

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/2462/finalmorning10rv.jpg
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:17 pm
It sure is. It reminds me of a dead or dieing maple leaf.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:55 pm
From The Seattle Times

Really good article, but one wonders about their ability to retrench into new burrows after they are moved out of the Army's way.

Quote:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:28 pm
Temperatures in Boston have been in the 50s all week. I'm walking around with no coat on. Seaglass, still here but used to Hawaiian climes, keeps shivering. It's what you're used to, I guess. his has been the warmest January that I can remember, so far.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:58 pm
That pic is like one of those psych assessment tests.

Love it.

I see a snuffling dinosaur.
0 Replies