Rain Forest #65 - Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!

danon5

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:54 am
Yawn - - - sip coffee.... Mmmmm.

I know, I know, MA has been up for hours.....

Winter begins today just after noon - I think. That means we are experiencing the shortest day of the year and the sun is directly over the Tropic of Capricorn - Rio is having a hot, hot day today.

all clicked.........

Looks like we have picked up 2.7 clicks per day in the last couple of days. It has moved my prediction of 50 acres to the evening of the 8th of Jan. This changes daily like the stock market - but it still looks like the end of the first week of the new year. I think that is GREAT clicking by a GREAT bunch of WILDCLICKERS!!!!
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:12 pm
Thanks for the new (well, bearly new) thread.
All clicked in
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:04 pm
I should have known that you didn't merely eye-ball it to get your estimate.

Now, some one give me some good stuff on the Sun Bear.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
dunno about no sun bear, but is it co-incidence that a card I got in the mail from an atookaian yesterday had a bear on it? Shocked Mailed, as far as I can tell, before this newly-themed thread was planned. Shocked

<singing>

it's a small world after all
it's a small world after all
it's a small small world
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:41 pm
Yeah, but what kind of bear?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:45 pm
Quote:
SUN BEAR
Helarctos malayanus

Description: The sun bear is the smallest of the bears, with a body length of 48 to 60 inches. Local peoples refer to it as the "dog bear" They can weigh between 60 and 145 pounds with the males being slightly larger. Sun bears have short, sleek black fur with a golden or white colored crescent shape on their chest and the same lighter color around their muzzle and eyes. The muzzle is short and the ears are small and very round. The paws of the sun bear are large with naked soles, possibly an adaptation for better tree climbing. The claws are long, curved and very pointed.

Range: They are found in southeast Asia; India, Burma, southern China, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia.

Habitat: Sun bears prefer lowland tropical rain forests. They are quite arboreal and are believed to sleep in trees.

Diet: Sun bears are omnivorous, eating birds, small mammals, termites, the young tips of palm trees and the nests of wild bees. They have been known to cause crop damage particularly to oil palms.

Social Organization: Nothing is known about the sun bear's social organization in the wild. Cubs are reported to stay with their mothers until fully grown.

Reproduction: Through observation of captive sun bears it is believed that cubs can be born throughout the year. Gestation has been reported at 95 days, at 174 days, and at 240 days at varying zoos so it is unclear whether there is delayed implantation. Litters consisted of one or two cubs weighing about 10 ounces (325 grams) each.

Conservation Status: Sun bears are listed in CITES as Appendix I.

Threats to Survival: Habitat loss in the sun bear's range is of major concern as is the pet trade, poaching for food, fur and the Asian medicinal trade.

Zoo Programs: An AZA Species Survival Plan for sun bears was formed in late 1994. Due to genetic and demographic deterioration of the current North American captive population, new founder animals must soon be imported. This needs to be done with an active conservation-linkage program in the range country where the animals will be obtained in order to protect and preserve as much remaining habitat as possible while at the same time carrying out intensive field studies on the sun bear itself. This is vitally important as so very little is known about these animals in the wild. The AZA Bear Advisory group recommends the establishment of an in situ conservation program and the importation of animals to be coordinated through the AZA Species Survival Plan working closely with IUCN-BSG. Five zoos will initially participate in this endeavor.

The Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle is working on a reproductive fecal steroid program. Woodland Park Zoo and the USFWS forensics laboratory are also working on genetic analysis of the North American population. All zoos currently holding sun bears are reminded to provide medical and necropsy reports to the AZA Bear Advisory Group veterinary advisor.

It must be stressed that zoos holding these animals put emphasis on the impact of illegal hunting and the trade of bear parts to the Asian medical market.

From The Bear Den
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:47 pm
http://arktofile.net/images/bear_sun.jpg

The Sun Bear
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Spectacled Bear

http://www.bearden.org/specbear.jpg
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:53 pm
Quote:
SPECTACLED BEAR
Tremarctos ornatus

Description: The spectacled bear is a small black bear with cream-colored facial markings around its eyes that give it its name. Females weigh about 150 pounds and males may reach 250 pounds. They have a total body length of 60 to 72 inches.

Range: The spectacled bear is found in Venezuela, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.

Habitat: It lives in a variety of forested Andes mountain habitats, ranging in elevation from 500 to 14,000 feet. The spectacled bear is an excellent tree climber and forages in the trees. It is most often found in what is called the cloud forest, a lush, misty ecosystem of the Andes. The spectacled bear is thought to play a vital role in the forest by scattering seeds through its droppings, a function called seed dispersal.

Diet: The favorite food of the spectacled bear is fruit and it will also eat varieties of bromeliads, rodents and insects. When feeding in fruit trees the spectacled bear will bend back many branches forming a "nest" that will serve as a feeding platform and a daytime refuge. When a spectacled bear strays into human farmland it is often shot on sight because it is considered a pest species for both the farmer's crops and livestock.

Social Organization: Little is known about the behavior of this shy forest bear. It is believed that they are mostly nocturnal and spend the day time sleeping in self-made tree nests, large tree root cavities or on ground beds. At sites of abundant food, as with fruiting trees, several bears can be seen feeding in close proximity with very little interaction between them. Only mothers with young have been seen traveling together so it is assumed spectacled bears lead solitary lives.

Reproduction: Females reach sexual maturity between 4 and 7 years of age. Spectacled bears will mate during the months of April, May and June. A pair will stay together for a week or two, actually copulating several times. Females bear a litter of one to three cubs, which become independent in one year. A mother bear may carry her young on her back when they are still small. A mother and her cubs employ a number of specific vocalizations in communicating with each other.

Conservation Status: The spectacled bear is listed as vulnerable in the IUCN Red Data Book and as an Appendix I species under CITES. There are thought to be a few thousand left in the wild.

Threats to Survival: Habitat destruction and hunting are the two biggest threats to the spectacled bear. Though the hunting of spectacled bears is illegal, it continues to be poached. Its bones and fat are used for the local medicinal market and recently reports of poaching for gall bladders for the Asian market have been reported in Ecuador.

Zoo Programs: Approximately 71 bears are managed under the Spectacled Bear Species Survival Plan. The Species Survival Plan works closely with the European EEP program which works with 52 bears in Europe and 6 in Russia. South American facilities have 33 bears while 3 are held in Japan. The Species Survival Plan is also working closely with zoos in Venezuela and Peru on management of bears in zoos and importing and exporting of new bloodlines. A Spectacled Bear Interest Group facilitates the exchange of information on South American facilities. An International Spectacled Bear Symposium held in Chicago in 1988 brought field biologists and zoo managers together for the first time. These contacts continue to be used to monitor the bear's population and programs in South America. Preliminary studies on the relationship between mother and cub have been completed in some zoos while ongoing research works on improving zoo diets.

From The Bear Den
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:52 pm
That is so very interesting, sumac. Thanks

ehBeth, Thanks for the tune floating around in my head - the small world one. It is insidiously sticking to the walls of my mind. Ahhhhhhgh........

Ok, here's one for you =

"Everything is beauuuutiful,
in it's own way."
ta da da da da da
Ray Stevens - I think

So there - payback...........grin
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:34 pm
what's an ear worm or two between friends :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You and your 285 friends have supported 2,153,915.7 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 89,968.3 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 285 friends have supported: (89,968.3)

American Prairie habitat supported: 44,966.7 square feet.
You have supported: (11,166.5)
Your 285 friends have supported: (33,800.2)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,018,980.7 square feet.
You have supported: (167,396.1)
Your 285 friends have supported: (1,851,584.7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're up an active clicker again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1319 49.442 acres
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:41 pm
... and the new thread group email just went out ...

and I wanted to share this

Web Gallery of Art - up at the top, click on music - midi samples of 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th century music to go along with the artwork
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:36 pm
Diametrically to Innocent is the expression - - - reminds me of reading stories of the early Popes who led assaults on innocents with sword in hand. Those were unmasterfully miswarranted days.

Throughout the history of written stuff - approximately 40 thousand yrs ago (hieroglyphics) to present - but, more recently approximately 3500 BCE when the Sumarians first developed cuneiform writing on clay tablets to keep control of their wealth - we have records of battles - constantly, with men claiming that God was on their side and going out to kill other people who believed differently.

That really sounds insane - but, it's in the records.

These are thoughts hard to bear.

grin
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:11 am
Good news for ANWR bears! Very Happy

More Sun Bear info...of the human variety

http://www.liteweb.org/wildfire/
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:23 am
Yes....isn't that just awful. A tune, or worse, a commercial, that you just hate...and you can't get it out of your head? Like it is on a perpetual loop. Maddening.

Will go click now.

How about some bear information, anyone, as regards forests in particular?
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:51 am
Pope Innocent wasn't.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:54 am
Oh, I love this two clicks for the price of one. I feel as though I'm cheating, but I guess it's fair game if it profits the rainforest.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:17 am
ebeth - thank you for that lovely artist URL.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:05 pm
Oh, jeez...earworms...just got it.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:20 pm
From today's edition of The Washington Post:

And the Saga on Arctic Oil Drilling Continues

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 22, 2005; A10

Lawmakers have feuded over drilling in Alaska's wilderness for a quarter-century, ever since Congress in 1980 passed a law saying only it could determine whether drilling was permissible in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

In 1995, the leaders of the new Republican majority in Congress thought they finally had succeeded in a long-sought goal by passing a bill permitting oil drilling in the refuge. But President Bill Clinton vetoed the measure under prodding from environmentalists.

Emboldened by their electoral gains and President Bush's reelection in 2004, Republicans thought they had gained enough clout on Capitol Hill this year to muscle the bill through as part of the annual budget process.

But yesterday, proponents were thwarted once again. Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) hoped he had his adversaries cornered when he attached the drilling plan to an essential measure to fund ongoing military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. But two Republicans joined 42 Democrats in filibustering the defense bill that would have authorized drilling. Last night, the Senate agreed to pass the defense bill, without the drilling provision.

Yesterday's procedural vote -- in which drilling supporters failed to gain enough votes to end the filibuster and force action -- gave environmentalists a rare legislative win on Capitol Hill, and it ensured that an oil-rich 1.5 million-acre stretch of the Arctic will remain untouched for the immediate future.

The refuge, which has at least 5 billion barrels of oil beneath its surface, shelters birthing caribou as well as musk oxen and millions of migratory birds each year.

"This is the greatest environmental victory of the year," said Lydia Weiss, a lobbyist for the advocacy group Defenders of Wildlife. "We are thrilled the Senate did not go down the slippery slope of holding a defense bill hostage over this toxic legislation."

The failure of drilling advocates to push forward a measure that has spent so long on the brink of passage highlights some complicated politics within the Republican Party. GOP leaders had to back down earlier this year when moderate Republicans in the House protested a move to add it to a comprehensive budget bill.

But Stevens, the Senate's most influential drilling proponent, refused to back down, tacking the measure onto the defense spending measure. His blunt lobbying tactics were even directed toward his GOP colleagues. In an e-mail, he said that if the defense bill failed to go through this would upend the budget process generally -- endangering favored projects in their states.

The warning worked with moderate GOP Sen. Olympia J. Snowe (Maine.), who issued a statement yesterday after the vote saying that she worried an impasse over the defense appropriations bill would endanger subsidized low-income heating funds.

Two key Republicans, Lincoln D. Chafee (R.I.) and Mike DeWine (Ohio), were unmoved, arguing that Arctic drilling would not solve the nation's energy problems.

"We've got to find other ways to be energy independent," DeWine said in an interview.

Stevens's year-end maneuvering also infuriated Senate Democrats: At one point during Sunday night's debate, Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) slammed his microphone down and refused to allow Stevens to respond to criticism. Yesterday, Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.) said Stevens was to blame for holding up money for the military.

"I am not the one threatening support for our troops in the middle of a war," Lieberman said.

These senators were bolstered by environmental groups' ambitious media and grass-roots lobbying campaign this week, which featured full-page ads in eight national, regional and Capitol Hill newspapers, and thousands of phone calls to key senators. Former president Jimmy Carter plotted strategy with Reid last weekend and spoke yesterday with Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.), who voted against the Arctic measure.

The American Petroleum Institute condemned the Senate action, saying "its refusal to seize this opportunity does a disservice to American consumers and fails to acknowledge that the consequences of inaction are adverse and significant."

And even the refuge's most passionate advocates said they expected another drilling fight next year.

"We've been arguing about ANWR for the 21 years I've been here -- it's not going to go away," said Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.). "I'm confident we will see another debate on ANWR."
0 Replies