I'll keep pooping until you stop trying to make me nap....

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 04:09 pm
Yup.

she has learned to poop just a little bit... every few minutes... knowing I will come in and change her so she doesnt have to take a nap.

oh my.

I feel like Im going psychotic.
I have been telling Mr Wolf and he kept looking at me like I was losing my mind.
I mean, how wierd does it sound?
your daughter poops to keep from taking a nap.. Laughing

but she does..
And , she can do this for up to an HOUR. Shocked

Half of me is impressed

the other half of me wants to break this habit..

make me feel sane..
tell me your child / ren have done this too??

Im off to suck my thumb in a corner with my teddy bear now........
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,974 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:23 pm
So, she did big poops before and now she's doing little poops?

Sounds like good evidence that she can control some things well, and is ready to take another toilet training step.

<and maybe she's getting past regular napping? didn't that get mentioned on some other thread?>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:36 pm
I do the same thing when my wife doesn't let me watch football on the TV.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:27 pm
Why do you make her take a nap?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:33 pm
How old is bean again? I think you might want tto reconsider the napthing. Why not pass the whole nap thing for a day or two in a row?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:36 pm
Bean will be 2 in march.

I have tried bypassing a nap for a few days and like clockwork, at 330 she is tired, cranky.. and her little face gets red .
I know when she is tired because her eyes get a little puffy and bright red. This is what happens every afternoon.

I have pushed back her nap from 12 to about 3 now in anticipation of this melt down... but nothing.

The few days I held off on her nap , she was just a mess. Crying, cranky, wouldnt eat, throwing fits.. typical 2o month old stuff i guess.

So now, the game is, I wait until she is getting red in the face and rubbing her eyes.. and just wants to sit still and be held.
I take her upstairs, rock her. read a book, and she will be OUT. . completely asleep.

i start to leave and she looks at me..
I close the door and with in one minute she is crying to be changed.
Change her
rock her
leave
poop
change her
rock her
leave
poop

>sigh<

I didnt think of this being a possible sign of more potty training!! Very Happy
there is an upside to this wierd behavior after all..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:38 pm
hmmmm... at least she's not withholding poop.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:39 pm
this is very true.

>shudder<

or
even worse, as i hear my friends with kids say-

At least she aint diggin the **** out... Shocked
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:40 pm
My grandma is 89. She said Bean is smart.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:44 pm
right on gramma..!

I think she is too.
she is getting her way in such creative forms, I almost want to bow out of the confrontation to give her some womanly dignity........

then i have to clean up ****..
aint feelin so matronly then..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:45 pm
Maybe let her sit in the dirty diaper for a while?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:46 pm
Ya know - it looks like, to me, she's looking for some control.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:54 pm
yikes

control

before 2 ?

oh jeezzee... i need a padded room
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:02 pm
The little girl I cared for outside my family started to exert control by being literally anal retentive. Her mom was a bit of a control freak, she would even control the little girl's creative expression. She was constantly cleaning upafter the child (so was I to keep her mom sane) and little E never seemed to have a place to just be. Before she was potty trained (before 2) she started to hold in her poop. They gave her kiddie ex-lax and she kept holding it in. She'd scream like a puma being crushed under a boulder, slowly, her body would contort and stiffen, her butt would clench - she would do everything in her power to not poop. It was the only thing she had any control over.

Finally, she wouldn't be able to hold it (sometimes she'd hold it for 3-4 days) and then she would cry, devestated, that she let lose. Very very sad, really. But, it seemed to be a wake up call to her momma.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:42 pm
Yep.

Especially in that this is another sleep issue, which I know has been a continuing bone of contention. (How's that going at night, now?)

When sozlet stopped napping it wasn't all at once. First she napped every other day, then once every three days, and after a while once a week, and then after a while more just when she hadn't had enough sleep overnight.

During the transition periods she slept a bit more overnight than normally. Some grumpiness as the new routine was eased into, yes, but better then the nap! no! nap! no! crap. (Er, literally here... ;-))

I remember my mantra when she was about 6 months to 3 years was every routine was made to be broken -- as soon as she had a routine, there was a wrinkle that needed accommodating. Routines are convenient for us, but don't always match what a growing kid needs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:51 pm
I don't want to discount the possibility of something medical, too -- not sure what it would be exactly, though. Maybe one of her last poops hurt and she doesn't want to but she needs to and it comes out when she relaxes enough to fall asleep? But then it wakes her up... etc. :-?

Not sure if that makes sense, but I remember situations that friends thought were willful and were actually just medical/ biological/ whatever.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:52 pm
Good point, Soz!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:27 am
at night there are absolutly no problems.
I rock her and give her a small bottle of warm milk.
When she is done with her milk, wether she is asleep or not, I put her down and leave the room.... and she is just fine. She puts herself to sleep, doesnt cry, nothing. Very Happy

I guess I need to just resign myself to letting this be the end of naps for her. But it just doesnt seem right to me.
All babies nap .
Some kids nap up to about kindergarden age.

I think I just feel like she is too YOUNG to not need a nap. But her body knows better then my brain I guess.

I have thought about the 'rabbit turd' trick being a problem. Constipatition... dry poop... and a few other things.
But, if she poops at night ( a rare thing indeed), it doesnt have small pelletts like she was working on it.. it is just one big mush
and, if I wait until AFTER her regular poop time to try her nap, it doesnt happen.

I dont know what to make of it.
I need a coffee refill.. >yawn<

but.. i guess it is time for no more naps
no more ' mommy lunch breaks'

It does seem to be happening like you described Sozlet doing..
little less time napping, skipping days, to skipping weeks, ........ nap taper I guess.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:30 am
littlek wrote:
Maybe let her sit in the dirty diaper for a while?

I thought about that, but she gets excema at the drop of a hat lately and it gets really bad. Im afraid that she would get a patch of it on her cheeks if I didnt wash off her behind immediatly.

though, i did try that once.. just sort of waited a little bit to see if she would finish first.
no such luck...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:12 pm
Maybe she just doesn't need to nap, or needs a very small amout of naptime.

My daughter was never much of a napper. At her daycare, when all the other kids would be put down for a nap, she'd be allowed to stay awake, but be silent, because she just wouldn't nap. If she did nap, which was rarely, it would be for fifteen, twenty minutes at most, and then she'd pop right up and be ready to go again.

Ironically, she naps more now than she did before. She's five now.
0 Replies