Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:08 pm
@PDiddie,
Yes indeed, he was very convincing in that role, wasn't he?

Just curious, PDiddie, what interested the students most in the Q & A?
PDiddie

Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:54 pm
@msolga,
Generally speaking they don't see that American society has changed much in the thirty years since Harvey Milk's passing. They see some evidence of tolerance in their everyday interactions, but from an institutional standpoint, not so much.

They are, as usual, spot on.
msolga

Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:07 pm
@PDiddie,
Interesting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:28 pm
@msolga,
An LCD, especially with the energy save turned on, uses about 20% of the energy of an old cathode ray TV. I bought a 42" Sony LCD to replace a rear-projection CRT last month about a week after they read the meter for my electric bill and just received the bill for the next month's reading. It's already down $20.00. I figured it out and it'll likely average $30.00 a month. Times 12 is $ 360.00. In three years, the electric company will have bought my set and more.
Lightwizard

Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:30 pm
@dlowan,
I'm interested since you should be getting shipments directly from the manufacturing in Asia, many of them in Indonesia and Micronesia so the shipping has to be cheaper. How much is a 42" LCD?
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:32 pm
@Lightwizard,
Really? That's interesting, LW.
Now, when my current TV dies, if they made LCDs suitable for small spaces .....?
Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 29 Mar, 2009 03:18 am
I saw Of Time and The City this afternoon. A documentary, but an extremely personal, selective documentary of Terence Davies' recollections of the Liverpool of his youth. The film is a collection of old footage of Liverpool, from the 50s & 6os .. big & small events. Some of it is simply a record of life on the streets, the Mersey, the races. But what held our attention was his commentary, his voice, as we watched the old footage. Sometimes his words were so touching I was almost moved to tears ... at other times his comments were angry, funny, outraged, snobby, bitter, sad ... As much to learn about Davies as his beloved, gone forever, Liverpool. It cannot have been an easy place to be gay, during those tough, Catholic times Davies describes. :

Quote:
Into my heart an air that kills From yon far country blows: What are those blue remembered hills What spires, what farms are those? That is the Land of Lost Content, I see it shining plain, The happy highways where I went, And cannot come again. - A. E. Housman

http://images.smh.com.au/ftsmh/ffximage/2009/03/11/oftimemain_090311054454729_wideweb__300x270.jpg

OF TIME And The City is about Liverpool, the grimy northern English city on the Mersey, so it's odd that Terence Davies opens the film by reciting these famous lines. What blue remembered hills and what farms? More like docks, slums and housing estates, surely.

The film does have plenty of those, but it's the last four lines that carry the weight for him. This is Davies reflecting on himself, as much as Liverpool. He has said it's not a work of nostalgia, but it is certainly a film saturated with memory and emotion. At times it's almost unbearably sad as he ponders what has become of the city in which he grew up poor, Catholic and gay: "We love the place we hate . . . We leave the place we love." ....................

.......Davies tells us of his childhood - Catholic tribalism, and a huge cathedral, sectarian hatreds, his sexuality awakened at the Friday-night wrestling, repressive anti-gay laws but still a time of innocence. He intones in a deep, profoundly sceptical voice, like an ageing actor of the classics: "On slow Saturdays when football, like life, was still played in black and white and shorts as long as underwear, when it was still not venal and when sportsmen and women knew how to win and lose with grace, and never to punch the air in victory . . ."

.................It is an intensely personal film, nakedly confessional and frank, uncensored and painfully honest. It is unlike anything he has made, except perhaps in its tone. Davies is a master of melancholy self-reflection. This film sheds light on where his feature films came from, as much as the city he lost

Sydney Morning review, including trailer:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/film/film-reviews/of-time-and-the-city/2009/03/11/1236447311366.html
djjd62

Sun 29 Mar, 2009 04:52 am
@msolga,
that sounds interesting, i love archival dcoumentary
msolga

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:12 am
@djjd62,
Well, I certainly found it fascinating, djjd. But then, there were only something like 30 other folk in the theatre with me! Wink (I think they enjoyed it, too.)
... And it was on "limited release" to this one theatre in Melbourne, Oz. So I think it's fair to say this film may not be everyone's cup of tea! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:04 am
I haven't been to the movies for a bit & am considering some catching up. I'm considering: Disgrace, Two Lovers, State of Play ...
Anyone seen any of these? Any other recommendations?
msolga

Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:30 am
@msolga,
This afternoon I saw Two Lovers. I thought it was a beautiful film .. the acting (from just about everyone) was spot on & rang true, the sense of place & the imagery perfect & also the way that the treatment of the story was completely non-judgmental. You could understand every character's perspective clearly, even when some of their actions (& motivations) rather worried, upset or bothered you. I found this an engrossing & believable film experience. (If anyone else has seen it I wouldn't mind discussing the ending with you!):

Quote:
Ordinary frailties honestly exposed

http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2009/06/04/twolovers_wideweb__470x327,0.jpg
Neighbours Michelle (Gwyneth Paltrow) and Leonard (Joaquin Phoenix) are drawn to each other in Two Lovers.

TWO LOVERS (M) ****
Cinema Nova (109 minutes)
Reviewer Philippa Hawker

JAMES Gray's Two Lovers begins and ends with images of memorable yet casual vividness. They exemplify the beautifully composed yet bleakly quotidian qualities of the film, its certainties about character and detail, its striking combination of intensity and delicacy.

What they don't indicate, however, is something that emerges gradually in the course of the movie " its emotional generosity.

Two Lovers stars Joaquin Phoenix as Leonard, a withdrawn man who is living with his parents (Moni Mashonov and Isabella Rossellini) in the Brooklyn neighbourhood where he grew up. Two Lovers is grounded in a sense of place, of the history, expectations and loss that a location can represent.

Leonard tells a story of what happened to him that might or might not be true; but it's never really made explicit why he has reached this impasse in his life. What is clear to us, however, is that he is solitary, that he has been self-destructive, and that he hasn't emerged from the tight embrace of his family.

But something is about to change. He meets a new neighbour, Michelle (Gwyneth Paltrow), and is immediately drawn to her.

Meanwhile, his parents have plans for him. They are keen to introduce him to the family who is taking over their small business, particularly the daughter, Sandra (Vinessa Shaw). Leonard is also drawn to her, and she seems eager to see more of him.

And so he spends time in a kind of shuttle between each woman: Michelle, troubled, glamorous, needy, prone to calling late at night and requesting support and advice; Sandra, warm, kind-hearted, almost too ready to assume the role of protector. They bring out different aspects of Leonard; he is both elevated and torn by what they are offering him and expecting from him.

Clearly, they represent different possibilities, but they never feel reductive or oversimplified figures.

Phoenix (who also starred in Gray's The Yards and We Own The Night) effortlessly conveys Leonard's awkwardness and diffidence, but also his yearning, and a sense that he is venturing outside himself, that he beginning to take risks. It's a strongly physical performance, but it always seems to be holding something back. Phoenix " in what has been touted as his last screen role " never feels as if he has mastered the character, but that he is in the process of discovering him.

There is something generous throughout Two Lovers about the way Gray defines his characters and their motives. In part, it is because of what he is prepared to leave unsaid. Some things are made clear about them, some are left mysterious and ambiguous.

There are no cheap targets, and there is no demonising. Leonard, for example, sometimes chafes against his parents, and feels oppressed by what they ask of him, but they're never seen as crudely suffocating figures in themselves. Rossellini gives a lovely performance of half-suppressed solicitude; her character can't, no matter how hard she tries, stop herself from keeping watch and checking up on her son, but she does her best to maintain a loving distance.

Even a secondary character, played by Elias Koteas, is not the kind of villain or heavy he could easily have been.

But this doesn't make the film evasive or easy, and it doesn't give the last scene any obvious sense of finality. Despair and confusion are explored in Two Lovers with a rigorous, unsentimental directness that is also full of feeling.

AGE review including trailer:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/film/film-reviews/ordinary-frailties-honestly-exposed/2009/06/03/1243708503541.html
msolga

Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:35 am
@msolga,
At the Movies review & another trailer from Two Lovers:

Margaret & David discuss the film:

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2563844.htm

msolga

Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:46 am
@msolga,
Rotten Tomatoes reviews:

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/two_lovers/
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:24 am
This one's in the "newish" category. Towelhead. Made in 2008, but released on Oz during 2009. I'd read a few quite interesting reviews & meant to see it at the cinema, but it came & went before I was able to. So I ended up finally seeing it on DVD this week

Has anyone else seen this film? I'd be interested to compare notes. It really bothered me. I thought from the film title (& from reviews) that it explored racism in middle America. But that turned out to be a side issue, really. It was more about a young Lebanese-American girl's "sexual awakening" & the reception she receives at the hands of her parents & her immediate community. Quite a number of quite unpleasant experiences at the hands of her bullying father & other men. One neighbour (Toni Collette) responds to her situation with sensitivity & protectiveness. Most of the rest (in my humble opinion) was pretty confronting & quite unpleasant.

I read quite a few reviews of the film after seeing it because I had such a negative reaction to it & strongly agree with Roger Ebert's (below). A number of reviewers applauded the "courage" of the actors' performances. Me, my overwhelming reaction was "erk" <shudder> :

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=EB&Date=20080918&Category=REVIEWS&ArtNo=809180304&Ref=AR&Profile=1023&Maxw=438

At the movies review & trailer:
Quote:
TOWELHEAD is the directorial debut of screenwriter Alan Ball, creator of SIX FEET UNDER and Oscar-winner for American Beauty.

He chose to adapt Alicia Erian’s novel and you can understand his attraction for the material.

In depicting the exploitation, mainly sexual, of a 13-year-old girl he’s once again able to expose the ugly underbelly of American suburbia. <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2355353.htm

Quote:
"Towelhead" presents material that cries out to be handled with quiet empathy and hammers us with it. I understand what the film is trying to do, but not why it does it with such crude melodrama. The tone is all wrong for a story of child sexuality and had me cringing in my seat. It either has to be a tragedy or some kind of dark comedy like Kubrick's brilliant "Lolita," but here it is simply awkward, embarrassing and painful. ... <cont>

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080918/REVIEWS/809180304/1023
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:43 am
I'm not sure how recent this is but we've just watched The Brothers Bloom and enjoyed it.
msolga

Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:50 am
@JPB,
I haven't seen that one, JPB. If you've got a minute, could you tell us a bit about it?
dlowan

Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:31 am
@msolga,
Saw Nowhere Boy yesterday....really liked it.
msolga

Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:32 am
@dlowan,
Yes, you said on the other thread, Deb.
Worth a look, you'd say? Not too depressing?
dlowan

Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:54 am
@msolga,
Not depressing...unless you think too far into the future.

It ends as John and the boys head off to Hamburg.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 15 Jan, 2010 05:39 am
Still catching up on some of the films I really wanted to see in 2009, but missed. So this puts this one in the "newish" category, also.

This one was an outstanding viewing experience. I was absolutely riveted from beginning to end. Possibly because of my interest & experience in education, but I believe others could get much out of this film, too.

The Class looks at the experience of a teacher (Mr Marin) in a very multicultural school in Paris. Mr Marin is played by a former teacher (Francois Begaudeau) & is based on a book he wrote on his teaching experiences. None of the students in the classs are professional actors, they are "real life" young people & they're terrific in their roles.

If you're interested in a film which takes a serious look at contemporary education issues, multi-culturaliasm, if you want to see what the experiences & challenges are really like, then this is a "must see". Forget Stand and Deliver, forget To Sir With Love, this film makes them look like romantic fantasies. This is the real thing. I can't recommend it highly enough. brilliant, just brilliant.

Quote:
Movies about classrooms tend toward the school of tough love, with recalcitrant students gradually coming to be transformed by an inspirational teacher. This one's a little different. Director Laurent Cantet has pulled together a story that feels startlingly authentic, using Mike Leigh-like methods of extensive improvisation with a cast of real inner-city kids and a real teacher. To paraphrase the Buck Owens/Beatles hit, all they had to do was act naturally.

The teacher is Francois Begaudeau, the author of a semi-autobiographical novel about his own teaching experiences, Entre Les Murs (literally, Between the Walls), on which the movie is based. .....

....... Begaudeau plays himself, or a version of himself (named Francois Marin), and the students are drawn from a Parisian public school in the tough 20th arrondissement. Cantet, whose résumé includes Time Out (2001), about a man who can't admit he's lost his job, and Heading South (2006), about wealthy older women going to the Caribbean to buy young love, worked with the kids over a period of eight months, teaching them to feel comfortable and be themselves in front of the camera, and developing character, situations, and storylines.

Francois is a good teacher, but he makes mistakes. .............

Review:
http://web.mac.com/moviecritic1/Site/Class.html
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1201022/photo_14_hires.jpg

Reviews from Rotten Tomatoes:
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_class/