why reject jesus what do you got to lose

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:56 pm
You sure know squat about history.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:58 pm
Quote:
How can u possibly dedicate your life, dedicate effort time money to something that u cant prove?
Religons are based on the fact that they cant be disproved. I have my time to lose by embracing jesus.

Ah, but you have everything to gain. :wink:

Wanda
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:59 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

I can agree up to a point. It just seems that more of what was not accepted in years past has become socially acceptable?

Dig a little deep into Roman and Greek culture and I imagine you'll see what I'm talking about. Those nude men on the vases weren't there strictly for 'art'.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm
Questioner,

No doubt. But what about things like all these serial killers, mass murders, school shootings, etc.? These things were definitely not common when I was growing up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm
You can't find a wilder bunch than the boys and girls down at the Vatican in the 14th and 15th centuries . . . Berlin in the 1920's was pretty damned perverse, too . . .

The poet's eye, etc. . . . they ain't nothin' new under the sun . . .
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:04 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

No doubt. But what about things like all these serial killers, mass murders, school shootings, etc.? These things were definitely not common when I was growing up.

Sure they were, they just didn't have the abilities nor the desires to publicize them to the masses as they do today. The internet has done much to make dispensing news easier and quicker, as has television. Trust me, people were being murdered in massive quantities in ages past.

Ever hear of the Gladiators?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:13 pm
Questioner,

Of course I have heard of the gladiators. I am talking about common ordinary people (maybe not) out in society supposedly living normal lives that are serial killers.

How many school shootings do you remember from when you were growing up? How many serial killers?

Sure, there is a greater population and that does account for some of the increase. Yes, the internet has done much to advertise crime and atrocities.

Families today are, unfortunately, forced to be in the workforce just trying to make ends meet. Are the kids today getting the supervision and leadership they need to cope in this world? Evidently, not enough. How do you account for the gangs, etc.? These kids need acceptance and they go where they can find it.

Our society today is a "me" society. It's all about what "we" want. Of course, this is just all my opinion based on my experiences.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 04:42 am
Marvelous . . . you come out with a string of idiosyncratic assumptive statements, and finish with a qualifier intended to discount criticism in advance.

Prior to the late 1950's, neither widespread dissemination of the news, nor forensic investigations were sufficiently sophisticated to have informed anyone of serial killers who were not in the immediate vicinity, nor to have had a high probability of having detected them.

As for that phony "me generation" crap--it's just as evident among the holy rollers, who tout their personal Jesus and who look forward wistfully to the rapture. Meanwhile, they make sure to lock the doors on their expensive new SUV's when they drive through the poor neighborhoods.

Once again, it is useful for purposes of milenarian propaganda to claim the world is going to hell in a hand cart, and has been for two thousand years.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 04:52 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Our society today is a "me" society. It's all about what "we" want. Of course, this is just all my opinion based on my experiences.

It's always been about the "me". One of the major arguments against a national health service in the US like in the European countries is because people don't want to pay for other people's medical expenses regardless of whether said person can or cannot afford to pay.

That was one of the major arguments against welfare in the old days too. "Why should I spend good money on people who can't work?"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:31 am
Mr. Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
Marvelous . . . you come out with a string of idiosyncratic assumptive statements, and finish with a qualifier intended to discount criticism in advance.

Prior to the late 1950's, neither widespread dissemination of the news, nor forensic investigations were sufficiently sophisticated to have informed anyone of serial killers who were not in the immediate vicinity, nor to have had a high probability of having detected them.

As for that phony "me generation" crap--it's just as evident among the holy rollers, who tout their personal Jesus and who look forward wistfully to the rapture. Meanwhile, they make sure to lock the doors on their expensive new SUV's when they drive through the poor neighborhoods.

Once again, it is useful for purposes of milenarian propaganda to claim the world is going to hell in a hand cart, and has been for two thousand years.

Good Morning, Mr. Setanta! And how are you today sir? I hope you are doing well today.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/cheekkiss.gif

Mr. Setanta, I can only tell you how I view things from my experience with the world. I cannot assume to tell you or anyone else what it is like for them or how they see things. :wink:

I don't understand how you think the "me" generation thing is crap, Mr. Setanta. http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/bigeyedsmiley.gif I believe more people today are concerned more with what they want than what is best for someone else. I can look around the town where I live and see this every single day. And, it's in such little things. I remember when children were well-behaved in stores and restaurants and didn't cause sceneshttp://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/1022.gif. Today, they are running wild in the stores and a restaurant is no longer a quiet place to have dinner. The ones that do have vehicles drive through the town with their windows open and the music blaring so loud it makes your windows rattle. These are just little things, Mr. Setanta, true. http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/029.gif But, once common courtesies are ignored, it's easier for other things to be ignored also.

As far as serial killers, etc., are concerned Mr. Setanta, when something like this did happen, it was such a shock to everyone! Look at the guy that shot all those people from that school towerhttp://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/210.gif. That was huge news! I can't remember his last name right now. I think his first name was Charles. He had killed his wife and mother and then went to that college tower and started shooting. When that happened, you even heard the name of his football coach because it was such big news. So, I still contend that there has been a huge increase in this type of thing and not just because of increased population or media exposure.

Mr. Setanta, I leave out no one in the "me" generation. I believe we are all guilty of it in some respect. But, one thing is for sure, I don't have a SUV. I don't know why so many think Christians are rich and drive these big vehicles. Some are, yes. Some are not. I don't think it's fair to lump every Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, non-believer, etc. into any one category, do you?http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/409.gif

I hope you have a wonderful day, Mr. Setanta!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:33 am
Wolf_ODonnell Wrote:

Quote:
It's always been about the "me". One of the major arguments against a national health service in the US like in the European countries is because people don't want to pay for other people's medical expenses regardless of whether said person can or cannot afford to pay.

That was one of the major arguments against welfare in the old days too. "Why should I spend good money on people who can't work?"

There are many in our society that think everything should be handed to them and are not willing to work for it. I wish there was a good solution for this.

But, for the ones that can't work? I don't have a problem helping them at all. It's the ones that don't WANT to do anything for themselves that concern me.
0 Replies

Darth mario777

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:43 pm
hello it is i darth_mario777 Cool
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:47 pm
Hi Darth!

Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Darth mario777

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:50 pm
thank you Laughing Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:01 pm
You are quite welcome. I hope you enjoy your journey here. Laughing
0 Replies

Darth mario777

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:13 pm
i hop to :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:14 pm
where to you hop to . . . try walking, i'm sure it will be easier on your back . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:16 pm
Rolling Eyes

Darth_mario777,

Welcome to A2K. Most of us are able to recognize that you made an honest typo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:16 pm
You are such a sourpuss . . .
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
where to you hop to . . .

Speaking of typos. . . .
0 Replies