why reject jesus what do you got to lose

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:48 pm
I think Partyjohn is very sincere and somewhat young. I don't think we should rip him apart, but maybe help him to learn to question what other's tell him so he can learn to think for himself.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
partyjohn wrote:

yes cured.cromes

Crohn's (crones) Disease?

If that's the case, please read.
Quote:
Some people have long periods of remission, sometimes years, when they are free of symptoms. However, the disease usually recurs at various times over a person's lifetime. This changing pattern of the disease means one cannot always tell when a treatment has helped. Predicting when a remission may occur or when symptoms will return is not possible.

So she probably was not cured but in remission.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I think Partyjohn is very sincere and somewhat young. I don't think we should rip him apart, but maybe help him to learn to question what other's tell him so he can learn to think for himself.
Yeah, what you said.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Green Witch wrote:

I think he is sincere as well but just saying something is so, doesn't make it so. Right?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:53 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

I think he is sincere as well but just saying something is so, doesn't make it so. Right?

That's the point. That is what I want him to realize. There are a lot of
con artists in the world (religious and otherwise) - he needs to learn to question them for his own sake, as do we all.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
Hello Green Witch,

Let me ask you a question. This may be true in your case. If this is not the case for partyjohn, why should you try to change him? Isn't that kind of like forcing your beliefs on him? I don't think partyjohn, myself, you, or anyone else has the right to tell another they are wrong for their beliefs, do you?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:07 pm
I would submit that faith-healing has had no place in true Christianity since the NT was completed.

So one should proceed with caution.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:08 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Hello Green Witch,

Let me ask you a question. This may be true in your case. If this is not the case for partyjohn, why should you try to change him? Isn't that kind of like forcing your beliefs on him?

I'm not GW but I want to answer anyway.

He asked. We answered.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:13 pm
And I asked and you answered. Thank you.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
You are welcome.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:31 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Hello Green Witch,

Let me ask you a question. This may be true in your case. If this is not the case for partyjohn, why should you try to change him? Isn't that kind of like forcing your beliefs on him? I don't think partyjohn, myself, you, or anyone else has the right to tell another they are wrong for their beliefs, do you?

I'll answer too. I'm not trying to dissolve PJ's faith, I just want him to examine it. Read my other posts on this thread and I think you will see that. No one should just believe what people tell them - that's dangerous. If PJ has had personal experiences that have lead him to his faith that is fine, but he seems to be getting his belief system from outside sources. He could question and examine those sources and still continue to believe as he does, but I want him to do the thinking part first.

Here's another example: I believe I have seen fairies - do you accept my word and now also believe in fairies or would you like to see more proof? I think if PJ's preacher told him he has seen fairies, PJ would start believing in them. That is how we end up with fanatics, fanatics are scary. People who have faith, but understand the importance of doubt are not the problem. I'm saying "don't just follow orders". Go back to my example of Muslims and bombs or Nigerians and free money offers for more elaboration.

Now I'm off to feed the dogs...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:32 pm
Green Witch,

Oh, I don't disagree with you. I guess I am just wondering why you seem to be assuming partyjohn is not already doing that?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:40 pm
John has not given us any reason for why he believes what he believes, there for we can only assume that he doesn't know why he believes it.

Blind faith, like GW said, is very dangerous and perhaps, when john re-examins his belief in faith healing he will find that he doesn't really believe it. Or maybe he will find that his belief has been strengthened by this. The point is that if we want to be more godly people, we need to use the brain He gave us and question what we don't understand or know.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:47 pm
Understood, Bella Dea. It just seems the natural assumption is that John doesn't use his own thinking. Did I misunderstand? If I did, I am sorry.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Understood, Bella Dea. It just seems the natural assumption is that John doesn't use his own thinking. Did I misunderstand? If I did, I am sorry.

It was my assumption, I can admit that. And for the reason I listed above. When people ask you to explain and you just repeat "she was cured" that doesn't say to me that you even understand why you believe she was cured. Had he said "I knew her before the healing and after the healing, she told me that the cancer was gone! The tests showed no cancer in her body. I know her well enough to believe that what she says is true." then I might have thought differently about what he was saying.

Understand?

There is a huge difference between knowing and understanding. And it seem to me that john simply knows something.

You're understanding of your faith is evident to me. You might not understand it all but you understand enough of it to be able to hold a conversation about it. John's one line "because it's so" won't fly, and you know it (probably better than I do).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:10 pm
Gotcha Bella. Yes, partyjohn and the other one will have to learn to expand a bit on what they say. I know I have had to.

So, we can agree then, that the misunderstanding is on both sides? partyjohn's for not explaining it well enough and others for assuming something?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:16 pm
I don't think I misunderstood anything but am willing to be proven wrong. I still think that he has no idea why he believes what he believes. And I have a hard time believing that God would want someone to blindly follow anything because someone else just said it was so.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:17 pm
Why not accept Jesus ...

Because I have totally different beliefs than you.
0 Replies

partyjohn

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:18 pm
me and my sister is new here but we will catch on.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:20 pm
Understood, Bella.

John, can you explain a little bit about why you believe what you believe? Perhaps that will help clear this up for all of us.
0 Replies