New Study: Louse-borne Diseases Ravaged Napoleon's Army

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 12:07 pm
FM, the most common way to feed sled dogs on long pulls such as those necessitated by arctic or antarctic exploration was dried fish.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 01:45 pm
Farmerman--

Venison heart is also good eating.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 04:43 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Farmerman--

You are lucky that you were not born a woman. In the years when I came to puberty, liver was a part of the Curse of Eve--with onions and bacon. Regular helpings of liver build Unconquerable Womanhood.

Since both Mr. Noddys are in your corner of the Men's Lodge on the Question of Liver, I can cook liver for myself every so often and feel delightfully self-indulgent.

By the by, my pit bull won't eat raw liver, but she does enjoy liver, lightly sauteed.

My poor mother, as a tiny girl, had some sort of anaemia which was quite dangerous.

She was prescribed raw liver.

Such is the wisdom of the human body that she actually craved it, and ate it happily, apparently.

Personally, I think I would just fade away and die quietly, instead.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:03 pm
I understand rabbit liver lacks power.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:41 pm
so, where does this thread drift next?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:48 pm
You take her, Farmerman!!!!

What's yer orders, Capt'n?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 07:17 pm
First thing, take that damn tassled bra off yer head. You braggin? Then I think we should delouse the entire area , Im gettin itchy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 07:25 pm
Can i eat some a them canned beans over there?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 07:55 pm
Flied lice, anyone?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Blimey.

Like poor old what's his name in the Antarctic, and vitamin D poisoning from the dogs' livers!

Now you've got me . . . Scott and Amundson raced for the south pole, and Scott and company froze to death, while Amundson and his boys made it there and back by eating the dogs.

You've opened another can of worms, Miss Wabbit . . .

Set,
If you ever get the chance, seek out a copy of Mawson's book "The Home of the Blizzard." It's quite a ride. He ate the soles of his own feet when they sloughed off, due to his ingestion of dog liver.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:03 pm
Sounds fascinatin', LTX . . . my sweetiepie had a book originally published about a century ago which dealt with those who explored the interior of the Australian continent--but it went astray, and i never got to finish it. When is was a lad, about forty years ago, i had an "exploration" period in which i voraciously consumed any books i could get on the subject of exploration.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:28 pm
I have understood the ill-fated expedition to the North Pole led by Salomon August Andrée (1897) also succumbed to vitamin A poisoning due to eating polar bear liver, but other sources have stated worm infection from infected meat as cause of death. It makes you wonder how the members of Willem Barents expedition managed to survive a whole winter on Novaya Zemlya in 1597, maybe there wasn't enough liver to go around?
0 Replies