So be good for goodness sake....

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:41 pm
Somebody shoot me now.

Santa threats?

Oh please somebody just shoot me now.

It all started with singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Next thing you know I'm singing it again, and again, and again, on demand.

I discovered that Mo was absorbing the message of the vindictive Santa.

Now he's kind of freaking.

It was really a lot easier dealing with his usual everyday berserkers.

He wants explainations about this whole Santa business.

Still, he thinks a lump of coal might actually be a pretty cool gift.

Fill me in on when your kids became aware of this Santa fellow and what they thought about this whole deal.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,682 • Replies: 29
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:34 pm
Heh. Hiya Boomer! Always something with kids ain't it?? lol

I think my daughter was about 2 1/2 the first time Santa was played up with her.

I don't think I ever ran into the "vindictive Santa" thing though. Maybe it was just played down (it was certianly never used as any sort of threat) and it may partially have been due to a minor little slip-up on my part.

The song was never "So be good for goodness sake..." to me. It was "Be good for goodness's sake.." (i.e. be good for the sake of being good).

Like with many other things with kids - what they get from things is what you emphasize... It's all about what you make it. They pick up the vibe you send them.

I always wanted coal when I was a kid too. It always seemd kind of cool. lol
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:00 pm
I'm of the "don't lie, there's no Santa" variety. Unfortunately, it wasn't a big tradition in my family and I'm carrying that on. We don't even have a tree. But the kids will each get one gift from us. Oddly enough, my son had to write a letter to Santa for a school assignment. My favorite line was "you don't have to bring anything if you don't want to". He obviously doesn't ge the Santa thing, which is no surprise. Where would he get it from?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:05 pm
I certainly didn't mean to introduce vindictive Santa and I had never really thought about the song in that way until Mo began questioning me about it.

How does he know if I'm sleeping?

How does he know if I've been bad or good?

Sing it again.

Sing it again.

Oh you'd better not shout
You'd better not cry
Cause Santa Clause is
A big evil spy

Maybe I'm singing it wrong.

(Just kidding.)

Mo is nearly 5, which seems a late introduction to the Santa Clause myth. He doesn't like the idea of Santa so much. He keeps taking down his stocking and hiding it.

Then today, I'm singing this carol and spend the rest of the day with paranoid Mo.

Tonight he's asking Santa for a piano and I'm trying to explain how that won't fit into the damn sleigh.

Some days I fear my brain my blow a gasket.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:11 pm
Interesting, FreeDuck.

Especially interesting in the use of "unfortunately".

Being the youngest, my siblings relished keeping me on the whole Santa thing for as long as they could.

This Christmas is just a whole new ballgame for me. So much stuff I've never really thought about coming into play.

It is weird.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:37 pm
My first reaction upon reading the first post is, well, it's a catchy song! Sozlet loves it too. But looks like Mo has a specific content-based reaction to it. (Sozlet doesn't, that I know of.)

We're kind of magical realist around here, we don't have totally explicit barriers between fiction and nonfiction. So the Santa conversation hasn't really come up -- he's in the same category as Rudolph or Frosty or Clifford the Big Red Dog. She'll get excited if she sees someone wearing a Clifford suit -- "Look, it's Clifford!!!!" -- and she'll get excited if she sees someone wearing a Santa suit, while seeming to know that neither is REALLY Clifford or Santa, and an extra layer of knowing that Clifford and Santa probably don't REALLY exist, though they're nice to think about and deserve affection.

We've never really done the thing of Santa brings presents; when we talked about it this year, something from her about "maybe Santa will bring me..." I just shrugged and said "Sure, maybe" the same way I say "Sure, maybe" when she suggests that a dragon might show up at our door and take her for a spin.

We have said that the contents of stockings have been from Santa, but haven't really pressed the point.

We got a bunch of good literature from her preschool this year, will excerpt some of it:

Quote:
Fours
4's can tell you a lot about "what people do at Christmas" based on their own family experience; they look forward to things with passion and exuberance. They like adventure and novelty, so this is the perfect year to begin taking them to children's plays or concerts, allowing special events to nestle into their routines. Many parents struggle with the way that 4's are about gifts: they want everything! They make long gift lists and will discuss it at length with anyone who's interested. They are acting their age. It helps to just allow the fantasy, let them look at catalogs and pretend with them what it would be like if they could have everything. Know that your own modeling of "Christmas spirit" will influence them as they grow. 4's enjoy the Santa story, love leaving cookies and singing Santa songs. They may begin to notice there are lots of Santas and ask questions.

Strategies:
Give clear information about what they can expect with rpesents, and then allow the fantasy of wanting everything. For example: "In this family children get one big present and some other presents", or "think about the three things you want the most, and in our family everyone always gets some books for Christmas." On Christmas day, or whenever you open presents, 4's need help slowing down, and are likely to rip through everything quickly. You can slow them down by taking turns opening, breaking presents with breakfast or outside play, or just by helping them move more slowly. Many 4's benefit from some active outdoor play to help run off their boundless energy.

Fives"
Gives tend to be more self-contained than fours, and enjoy participating in family traditions. They may now really have some stamina for shopping, and enjoy choosing gifts for family members. They like to look at decorations, and understand now that someone had to put them there! Fives usually love holiday "projects" like decorating cards, making place cards for a meal, paper chains for the tree etc. Fives begin to understand that there are cultural differences and differences between families, and enjoy exploring what other people do for Christmas.

Even though at 4 children wanted "everything", it is at 5 that children are more likely to be disappointed if they don't receive something they really want. It's important to call their list a "wish list" and to try to find out what the few things are that they want most. Fives believe in Santa Claus, so need some good information about what Santa might bring.

StrategiesFives may seem so much more capable and mature that it's easy to forget that they are still younga nd can be overstimulated. Home and family are important to fives, and too much time away or out of routine is hard for them. Fives like to feel that they are contributing to the family Christmas, so letting go of perfection to let them participate in decorating and other tasks will be a wonderful gift to them.

Ouch. All retyped, please forgive typos.

I included 4 and 5 'cause he's really in-between.

More good stuff, I'll find it and see if there's anything eminently quotable.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 09:55 am
That is good stuff.

And it really is a catchy song. Ducklet just sang it this morning in his Christmas program at school.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:29 am
That is good stuff, soz. Very interesting.

I don't have a problem at all with him believing in Santa Claus. Santa's okay in my book. I loved Santa when I was a kid.

I don't think I'm sending a mean Santa vibe.

Hmmm..

Mo started up again this morning - sing it, sing it, why does he keep a list? how does he know who is naughty?

He does seem to be having a content based reaction to the lyrics.

But why?

He IS kind of the same way when we read - he really wants to know what motivates each character. Maybe it is just the way he is - a literalist.

I can't wait for school programs. That will be so cool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:35 am
All of this why stuff sounds good, actually -- best way to learn, asking all these questions.

I figured out (when I read an illustrated version of the book) that I also made a critical change to the lyrics, dunno if it made any difference -- I sang, "You better not pout, you better not shout, you better not cry I'm tellin' you why..."

It's actually "You better watch out, you better not shout..." "You better watch out" is pretty strong! I'd see that it'd be attention-getting.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:14 pm
In a bit of a rush, but is it possible that Mo sees the logical impossibility in an all-knowing Santa? I'd do some casual questioning to see just how far he's seeing through the myth.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
Maybe Mo is just very bright for his age and Noddy is right in saying he just doesn't get why people would expect him to buy into this weirdness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:37 pm
I think the boy is dead right--Santa's a blackmailer. I say, Mo gets a good lawyer, and threatens to bring extortion charges against the fat man.

Boom, PM me with your home phone number so i can call and talk to the boy . . .
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:59 pm
I NEVER wanted a piece of coal! There was that cool BB Gun though ...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:07 pm
Santa's just a poor man's Yaweh.

Have you tried explaining that it's just a song? Jimmy Hendrix didn't really kiss the sky, you know.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:54 pm
Jimi did so kiss the sky.

I'm getting a feeling that Mo thinks of Santa in a Winnie-esque way. (Winnie was his boogyman that still pops up now and then.)

Mo is not at all a "realist" when he plays. His games are pretty over the top and packed, and I do mean packed, with detail. He'll want me to make up a story for him - he tells me what characters he wants me to use and I start vague and he'll fill in the details that make the story go.

I get the same sort of vibe with the Santa stuff.

He has finally let up a bit on the song request so maybe it is blowing over. The stocking is still hidden somewhere though -- I can't find it.

Are you sure it isn't that Yaweh is the poor man's Santa?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:46 am
boomerang wrote:
Are you sure it isn't that Yaweh is the poor man's Santa?

I knew it was one way or the other.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:52 am
boomerang wrote:
Jimi did so kiss the sky.

Thanks for the gentle correction.

Sometimes I still hear it as "'scuse me while I kiss this guy." Laughing

Sing him Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer juxtaposed against Santa Claus is Coming to Town; better yet, get him to sing it.

Then start asking questions about how a deer can have a glowing nose.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:19 am
DrewDad wrote:
Then start asking questions about how a deer can have a glowing nose.

Ungulate alcoholism ain't a pretty sight . . .
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:28 am
boomerang wrote:

I'm getting a feeling that Mo thinks of Santa in a Winnie-esque way. (Winnie was his boogyman that still pops up now and then.)

I thought of Winnie immediately when I saw this post. I don't have any specific advice except to be mindful of his reactions. Remeber that Santa is not equivalent to Christmas. If Christmas is really just about a fat guy in a red suit giving us stuff, we really are all f***ed.

Please don't interpret that as having any religious connotation. There are lots of Christmas stories that Mo might like that don't talk about a vindictive Santa. Head to the library, my dear.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:54 am
DrewDad, That avatar looks like an organ transplant run amok Smile
0 Replies