Iraqi Voter: Dems can go to hell

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 02:08 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Now, having proven the theorem as a true statement, I may apply it to whatever I wish. Therefore, the mere fact that civilians have been blown to bits in the war in Iraq, no matter how regrettable, does not in and of itself prove that the invasion was unjustified.

However, what you were arguing was that BVT's wish that it hadn't happened was not reasonable. That isn't evident from your "proof".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 02:28 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
No, I am still correct. Here is my logic:

A gross abuse of the word logic is about to follow.

Quote:
Theorem: A war in which civilians are blown to bits can be just.
Proof:

1. The invasion of Nazi Germany in WW2 was justifiable, and would have been whether they had declared war on us first or we on them first. Stopping Hitler was inherently justifiable.
2. Civilians were blown to bits in the WW2 allied invasion of Germany.

QED

No, that which was to have been demonstrated has not been demonstrated. Your assertion falters because of the causus belli. It is nowhere proven that an invasion of Germany were inherently justifiable, nor can it be shown that we invaded Germany (late 1944 and early 1945) for any other reason than that they declared war on us.

In fact, given the reaction of the American people to the attack on the Pacific Fleet, had Hitler been smart enough not to have declared war on the United States, and had been careful not to allow submarine warfare to significantly affect U.S. merchant shipping, it is a highly dubious proposition that Roosevelt could have lead the United States into a European war with the Imperial Japanese enemy still standing in the Pacific. The entire thesis that we fought a noble war for freedom has been cobbled together after the fact as the World War II generation aged and indulged in ever more remotely applicable self-congratulation.

The government found it necessary to go to great lengths to convince the nation that a world-wide crusade was necessary. Notable efforts came out of Hollywood (enabling such "heroes" as John Wayne and Ronald Reagan to avoid actually going in harm's way), such as Kapra's Why We Fight. Humphrey Bogart got in the act with incredibly bad pot boiler Murmansk Run. Great efforts were made to paint the Soviet Union in an heroic light. If mere morality were the motivating factor, we would never have allied ourselves with Joe Stalin, who was killing people faster and in greater numbers than Hitler ever managed.

You have absolutely no basis, other than your bald assertion, to contend that you have demonstrated your thesis. On any truly logical basis, we, eventually, invaded Germany in response to a declaration of war on the United States by Germany.

As a matter of historical fact, German civilians were blown to bits long before the United States became involved. They were most commonly blown to bits in night-time area bombing raids which Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris justified on the basis that factory workers who get no sleep are ineffective at work the next day. The evidence for this is to be found in Winston Spencer Churchill's four volume The Second World War, in which he explains the principle. Basically, though, the English hadn't the resources to sustain the casualties which would have resulted from daylight raids. It was the Americans who later carried out daylight raids, and despite their own gloomy assessments, they did quite a remarkable job of putting a respectable percentage of the bomb load on target or within one thousand yards of the aiming point. Civilians were, of course, killed in either type of raid--just as were thousands of Normans in France when bomb crews, lacking any remaining German targets, took to bombing willy-nilly any crossroads they saw in Normandy.

The fire-bombing of Dresden and the atomic attacks on Japan continue to be hotly debated as war crimes despite the claim of a noble cause. The United States, along with the majority of the nations in the world, has long adhered to a priniciple that there are rules to govern conduct in war--and we have violated those rules in many wars. One rule paramount among all others is the very justification for war, as is to be seen in the second article of the first chapter of the Charter of the United Nations, an organization created by the United States for its own ends during the Second World War:

Article 2 The Organization and its Members, in pursuit of the Purposes stated in Article 1, shall act in accordance with the following Principles.

1. The Organization is based on the principle of the sovereign equality of all its Members.

2. All Members, in order to ensure to all of them the rights and benefits resulting from membership, shall fulfill in good faith the obligations assumed by them in accordance with the present Charter.

3. All Members shall settle their international disputes by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace and security, and justice, are not endangered.

4. All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

5. All Members shall give the United Nations every assistance in any action it takes in accordance with the present Charter, and shall refrain from giving assistance to any state against which the United Nations is taking preventive or enforcement action.

6. The Organization shall ensure that states which are not Members of the United Nations act in accordance with these Principles so far as may be necessary for the maintenance of international peace and security.

7. Nothing contained in the present Charter shall authorize the United Nations to intervene in matters which are essentially within the domestic jurisdiction of any state or shall require the Members to submit such matters to settlement under the present Charter; but this principle shall not prejudice the application of enforcement measures under Chapter Vll.

On the basis of the charter, the current administration canard to the effect that the invasion was justified to remove a murderous dictator is invalid, because it constitutes an intervention in matters which were essentially within the domestic jurisdiction of Iraq, and no enforcement measures under Chapter VII of the Charter were authorized by the Security Council.

Quote:
Now, having proven the theorem as a true statement, I may apply it to whatever I wish. Therefore, the mere fact that civilians have been blown to bits in the war in Iraq, no matter how regrettable, does not in and of itself prove that the invasion was unjustified.

No, you did not prove your thesis to be true, you simply asserted an opinion, and an opinion which runs counter to the historical evidence. The justification for the war fails because it violates the principles of the United Nations Charter, to which we were the first signatory. Just because you can type QED, don't make it so . . .

I think I could argue my point about Germany, but why bother, because I can still prove the same theorem without it:

Theorem: A war in which civilians are blown to bits can be just.
Proof:

1. At least one war in the history of mankind has been justified since the invention of gunpwder.
2. Civilians were blown to bits in that war.

QED

If there exists even one such war, ever, then it does not necessarily follow that the fact that civilians are blown to bits in a war necessarily proves that the war ought not to have been undertaken, and that conclusion includes Iraq.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

However, what you were arguing was that BVT's wish that it hadn't happened was not reasonable. That isn't evident from your "proof".

The wish that no one had been hurt by the war is reasonable, but using the mere fact that innocent people were hurt as proof that the undertaking was wicked or even unjustifed would not be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 02:36 pm
None of which absolves you of the necessity for demonstrating that the war is justified. I suppose you can be given some credit for advancing the idiotic WoMD argument, long after the administration realized it was bankrupt and dropped it, and switched to the evil dictator excuse. But, as Emerson pointed out, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of a petty mind.

You have never yet demonstrated that the war was justified on any basis other than that you hold that opinion, so you have not demonstrated your thesis that this war is justified on the basis of a comparison to any other war, because you beg the question--the premise mirrors the conclusion. You are basically stating that the war is justified because the war is justified.

You've proven nothing, not in the last three years, and you likely never will. All you have done is offer your opinion, which is often of an hysterical character.

OH GOD, THEY'RE SAWING MY HEAD OFF WHILE I SCREAM ! ! !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 02:38 pm
You deal in so many absurdities. Do you contend that all wars prior to the invention of gunpowder were unjust? If so, why?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:03 pm
I'd still like gungasnake or anyone else to point out to me where Betty "I speak for Iraq although I live here" said democrats needed to go to hell.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:10 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I'd still like gungasnake or anyone else to point out to me where Betty "I speak for Iraq although I live here" said democrats needed to go to hell.

Gunga was editorializing.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:15 pm
Stevepax wrote:

Is that the same as talking out of your ass?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
Oh Yeah . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
None of which absolves you of the necessity for demonstrating that the war is justified. I suppose you can be given some credit for advancing the idiotic WoMD argument, long after the administration realized it was bankrupt and dropped it, and switched to the evil dictator excuse. But, as Emerson pointed out, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of a petty mind.

You have never yet demonstrated that the war was justified on any basis other than that you hold that opinion, so you have not demonstrated your thesis that this war is justified on the basis of a comparison to any other war, because you beg the question--the premise mirrors the conclusion. You are basically stating that the war is justified because the war is justified.

You've proven nothing, not in the last three years, and you likely never will. All you have done is offer your opinion, which is often of an hysterical character.

OH GOD, THEY'RE SAWING MY HEAD OFF WHILE I SCREAM ! ! !

Your adage must be, "If I can't argue my point, I'll change the subject."

I have demonstrated this: that the mere fact that civilians are blown to bits in a war, does not necessarily mean that the war ought not to have been undertaken. This is the only thing I am arguing at the moment - not everything but the kitchen sink. It's a non-trivial point too, because this is something that is frequently given as an argument against the war, and seemed to be implied by BVT's post in this letter.

If you feel that I have not demonstrated what I claim to have, then argue with the specific logic. If you are unwilling to do that, then kindly refrain from telling me that I am incorrect, since you will have no basis for doing so. I should imagine, though, that you will stick to your tried and true technique of widening the discussion, or resorting to ridicule, when you can't make your case with a simple on-point argument.

My conclusion is correct. If you wish to prove the negation of what I have said, that the fact that civilians are blown to bits does, by itself, show that a war is wrong, then do so. If you can't prove that what I have said is incorrect, then I am not sure why you are posting at me.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
You deal in so many absurdities. Do you contend that all wars prior to the invention of gunpowder were unjust? If so, why?

What??? Certainly not. Where do you get that from? English is your first language, right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:04 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

What??? Certainly not. Where do you get that from? English is your first language, right?

You shootin' for wiseass of the year?

Brandon9000 wrote:
1. At least one war in the history of mankind has been justified since the invention of gunpwder.
2. Civilians were blown to bits in that war.

You're the one whose English composition skills are in need of refinement. Your obvious intent is to imply that no civilians were blown to bits until the invention of gunpowder--however, as you have composed it here, one can clearly draw the inference that you equate the relative justice of wars chronologically with the invention of gunpowder. Don't blame me for your poor writing skills.

As a matter of fact, gunpowder would not necessarily be a sine qua non of blowing civilians to bits, and we don't of course use gunpowder when we want to blow Iraqi bystanders to bits. Before the introduction of gunpowder into Europe, Archimedes was known to have used "Greek fire" (aromatic hyrdrocarbon accelerants of unknown composition combined with pitch and bitumen) as an explosive incendiary on Roman ships attempting to break the boom at the harbor of Syracuse--although i can't say if any civilians were blown to bits.

But the point is, not only do you not make logical arguments, you don't even compose your flawed arguments very well. Bear's original statement was: "My bigger wish is that we hadn't blown them and their country to bits, losing precious resources both human and financial, of our own in the process. I find both hopes and wishes to be reasonable." Nothing in that suggests that he considers the war to have been unjust based on the number of civilian casualties. You have erected that strawman and attempted to peddle it ever since. What is really pathetic, though, is that it's not even a very well constructed strawman, and you express yourself in a clumsy fashion when you're trying to push it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:29 pm
Please excuse my distrust of this Betty babes sincerity.

Finding an Iraqi woman to show her "purpleness" has become a common stunt by the White House .

Bush brings in an Iraqi ringer (again)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:48 pm
And then there's this:

Iraqi Women Visiting American Cities Praise the Bush Administration -- Brought to You by the U.S. Government
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:49 pm
Stevepax wrote:

Is that the same as talking out of your ass?

Exactly!
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:51 pm

Squinney, I've loved you ever since you were my assistant!! You always come up with the good links!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 07:04 pm
And to think all this time I thought you only appreciated me for my short skirts! :wink:
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 07:07 pm
That too!! I was always afraid to say too much for fear BVT would beat the crap out of me!!
0 Replies