"Dykes on Bikes"patented.

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:23 am
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A lesbian motorcycle group calling itself Dykes on Bikes has successfully trademarked the name after proving the gay community does not find it derogatory.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark office, which had denied the San Francisco group's applications for a federal trademark, reversed itself and granted the signification after being convinced the once-offensive term "dyke" has now become associated with gay pride, the group said Thursday.
"The applicant came in at the last moment with a lot of evidence to show that the community did not consider it disparaging," said Lynne Beresford, a U.S. commissioner for trademarks.
The motorcycle club was founded nearly 30 years ago and became famous for leading San Francisco's annual gay pride parade.
Vick Germany, president of the San Francisco Women's Motorcycle Contingent, also known as Dykes on Bikes, said the decision was a huge victory.

"The word dyke has been used to put us down, and we have taken that name and reclaimed it as a source of pride," Germany said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 693 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:19 am
So it doesn't mean sea walls and levees on Schwinns?

Actually - good for 'em.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
yeah really Jes, I agree.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:31 am
So dyke isn't a degrading term? Nice. Next time I see a butch looking woman with short hair, I can call her a dyke. If she gets pissed, I can just refer her to this article.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:49 am
The names people in a group use among themselves aren't necessarily what they want to be called by outsiders.

If this comes as a surprise, it may be time to get out more...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:57 am
No sh!t.

Sarcasm. I've used it before.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:59 am
Point well taken, Slappy.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:59 am