I don't get it.

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:08 am
NEW YORK - It's usually easy to tell where a person stands in the culture wars, but whose side is someone on when his Christmas decor is a blood-spattered Santa Claus holding a severed head?

Joel Krupnik and Mildred Castellanos decked the front of their Manhattan mansion this year with a scene that includes a knife-wielding 5-foot-tall St. Nick and a tree full of decapitated Barbie dolls. Hidden partly behind a tree, the merry old elf grasps a disembodied doll's head with fake blood streaming from its eye sockets.

No one answered the family's door to explain on Tuesday, but Krupnik told the New York Post it was a statement about the commercialization and secularization of Christmas.

"Christmas has religious origins," he said. "It's in the Bible. Santa is not in the Bible. He's not a religious symbol."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 523 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
Krupnik & Castellanos are considered local eccentrics. Their home is in one of the most upscale neighborhoods of NYC, but he has decorated the outside with an assortment of Heavy Metal style gargoyles and items that look like he went shopping with Vampira.

I saw a picture of his display and it's not for the kiddies, but it is a form of free speech. One neighbor says she encourages her dog to pee in front of the Krupnik house.
0 Replies