The Funk Returns

jespah

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:12 pm
Freeduck, I have a lot of uninspiring times of it (wanna data enter information on over 1500 speakers, twice, then create a database and futz around with it for days, then use that info to run tests on all 1500+ people, then create another database, and futz around with it...?). I find it helps to do creative things outside of work, or peripherally attached.

One thing I do is write haikus. Some are related to work, some not. When my boss found out I was writing haikus, she made that the tie-together theme for training. Here are a few:

Engineers sometimes
sound unintelligible
Do you speak Jargon?

Take all your notes in
Iambic pentameter
Shakespeare does meetings!

Write it down and then
no one can say they did not
know what you wanted

Coding is complex
leave a trail of breadcrumbs for
the rest of us folks

What you said is not
what you thought you meant; we can't
read your mind. Not yet.

Batteries don't work!
Gimme a full refund now!
I love customers

This one's from training:

We liked the snacks and
the prizes were fun but the
haiku has some stumped

I also draw, paint and take pictures. I do all of these things badly. But I have fun with 'em.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
I think you are right, jes. Basically, I have work and the kids and really nothing for me (besides A2K) and I'm starting to wilt. It's time for me to do something I love. Now, if I just knew what that was...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:27 pm
Is it time to look at studying part time for a new field, which will meet your job desires better?

Like...a whole career change?

ARE there jobs in your field that you will find creative enough?

I mean, I certainly neber get BORED or unchallenged in my job, for instance.

I get a lot of damned other things, but bored and unchallenged surely are not amongst the down sides...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
Oops....posted right at the wrong time, didn't I?

What DO you love to do?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:44 pm
I wish I knew. I have been thinking about going back to school. My degree is in Math and there are a lot of very interesting things to study in graduate school. Other than that, I really don't know. If I had to sum it all up I'd say: I like to figure things out. Sadly, there's no figure-outer job that pays as well as the pseudo-figure-outer job I already have. At least not one that I know of.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:51 pm
Is less pay possible, obligation wise?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:12 pm
Not right now. We just moved and have all the extra expenses that come with moving. I was planning to seriously look at graduate schools when the ducklet enters kindergarten -- a year and a half from now. But that seems like such a long time from now. I wish I knew what to do about this nagging feeling in the mean time.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:31 pm
Er... Go and nag someone?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:57 am
Instead of expecting so much from your job you might want to try other outlets that have meaning for you, some worthwhile cause perhaps?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
Yeah, lots of figuring-outing in various volunteer situations -- I satisfied my (very similar to yours) need for figuring-out by being chair of various committees for a while. It was too much so I'd advise starting slow, but it used brain cells I wanted to use.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:19 am
Yeah, thanks, I'm looking into that. One of the things I've always wanted to do was volunteer for habitat for humanity. As soon as all the dust here gets settled, I'm going to do it. Hubby says he'd like to try it too, which will probably be good since we seem to have less and less in common these days.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
Mon Dec 12, 2005

FreeDuck wrote:
Not right now. We just moved and have all the extra expenses that come with moving. I was planning to seriously look at graduate schools when the ducklet enters kindergarten -- a year and a half from now. But that seems like such a long time from now. I wish I knew what to do about this nagging feeling in the mean time.

wondering what happened to this plan ...

(and realizing this was part of last week's confusion on my part)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:50 am
(what was last week's confusion?)

Still no immediate plans though I have looked at graduate programs for Math at Georgia Tech, which is close. I've got new and interesting work which has so far managed to ward off the funk. I've had a slight lifestyle change which is allowing me time to read. That doesn't sound like such a big deal but I have a stack of books that has been growing for 7 years waiting for me to make the time to dive in. Many of them are technical in nature and involve scientific interests I've always had but never explored. So just having the time to do my reading and exploring helps to keep the funk warded off.

It's funny, I had forgotten all about this thread. I'm glad you revived it if for no other reason than to remind me how miserable I had been.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:24 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
(what was last week's confusion?)

In responding to one of Linkat's posts about her possible upcoming move, I went through my response and changed all my references from the "Kats" to you, Mr. Duck and the duckies.

I'd been reading one of your posts on another thread - my brain apparently slipped a gear back to your move - and edit edit edit and post. Embarrassed
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:58 pm
Ah, it happens. Heck, as often as we move, you had pretty good odds of being right.
0 Replies