The Funk Returns

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:18 am
What is it with me? Every year, or maybe every six months, I get this uninspired feeling. Like I'm supposed to be doing more, something better, something that has an impact on more than just some company's bottom line. I recently started a new job and for a while I was gangbusters. Inspired by the newness of the job and the challenge of things never done before (here anyway), I threw myself into work and busted my buns. Alas, I can't sustain it. The working culture of the company I indirectly work for is downright stifling to creative thought and innovation. Granted, computer programming might not be thought of as creative work, but I take a certain amount of pride in my work and micromanagement just kills it for me. I'm good at my job, but can this be the right career for me if every single year, without exception, I seriously contemplate a complete career change? The problem must be me because it happens at every place I work.

Help me out, fellow career folk. Tell me what's wrong with me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,232 • Replies: 34
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:22 am
Programming is creative work. The problem is that it's also about 95% percent tedium (in my case; I'm a sloppy coder).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:22 am
I dont know what to say... 'sept that I used to feel that same way... at about the same time into a job.
I job hopped for a while because I thought the job was the problem.. turns out it was me.

Working in a nursing home, the job is the same, the only diffrence was the faces. I was convinced though that it was the job, the management, the co workers.. anyone other then me.

My last job, I busted my ass through the slump and stayed there for a few years... much to my surprise.
I just told myself that quitting wasnt an option since I had hopped the fence many times and the grass was never greener on the other side.

is this a new pattern for you? Or an old cycle that you are just now seeing?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:24 am
Like inflation and unemployment it might just be a wave cycle thing. Seasonal ups and downs, not much to do about. Except maybe to bring a crosswords puzzle and a voodoo doll of your boss to work with you to kill time when the lows hit.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
Are you between projects? Nothing worse than the feeling of accomplishment with finishing a project, then coming in the next day to a new project....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Working in a nursing home, the job is the same, the only diffrence was the faces.

Laughing I read "feces" instead of faces.

Quote:
is this a new pattern for you? Or an old cycle that you are just now seeing?

The lack of inspiration is chronic. I usually suck it up and stick it out and will probably do the same thing here. But it just feels like some underlying thing that I haven't dealt with and will continue to return until I do.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:32 am
aaaaaaaaahahaaahahahhahahah
that COULD apply... diffrent feces.. diffrent dinner.. same clean up techniques..

thanks for the laugh.

Maybe.. it is an addiction to the feel of a new job?
does that make sense?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:34 am
DrewDad wrote:
Are you between projects? Nothing worse than the feeling of accomplishment with finishing a project, then coming in the next day to a new project....

It's a new project, which I usually love. I am a contractor on it, though, and the company has very strict ideas about what we're allowed to do and what we're not allowed to do. Nothing is up for debate or discussion. Contractors here are expected to be nothing more than implementation. They tell us what to code and we do it, no ifs ands or buts. That cuts out the parts of the job I love most (and am best at): problem solving, design decisions, optimizing. I've actually gotten away with more here than most of the others for the simple reason that I'm willing to break the rules and then leave it up to them to decide whether they want to waste time rewriting something that works for no other reason than to have it done their way. But I can only do that so many times.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:36 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Maybe.. it is an addiction to the feel of a new job?
does that make sense?

Yes and no. It would make more sense if I actually job hopped or acted on this feeling. But it's true that the challenge of a new job can be as inspiring as the challenge of fulfilling work.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:44 am
true.

I always wondered, those who were at their jobs for years at a time ( 6 or more ) actually felt any excitement in - and for thier jobs anymore...
or if they blindl went through the motions for thier checks.

i cant imagine the ' new' feeling lasts very long..
but after 5 years at the same job, would anyone still feel a twinge of excitement over thier positions? And not dread at having to get up and go to work every morning.. hating thier desks, questioning thier boss..feeling unappreciated and squelched...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:44 am
jeezee.. that was a dreary post..
Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:50 am
I still enjoy my job after seven years, but I'm constantly having to learn new things.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
Well, that kind of gets at it. I don't want to be that person who goes through their day in a work stupor and who feels no excitement about their job. I realize that there is a honeymoon with a new job and I don't expect to be permanently in a state of excitement about my work. I'm not going to find a cure for cancer. But I would like to know that my work improves something and makes something better. There is still a little of that here, the process we are automating is very very old and extremely tedious. When we're done, we will have vastly improved these people's jobs. I look forward to that, but I feel that my contribution is invisible or maybe that it's way below what I could actually contribute.

I re-read my posts and I think I sound spoiled and greedy. I have a good, steady job that pays well. I have no business complaining about something so intangible as lack of inspiration. Yet, the funk returns.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:52 am
DrewDad wrote:
I still enjoy my job after seven years, but I'm constantly having to learn new things.

One of the parts I truly love about this job (not this particular one, but in general) is the constant need to learn new things.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:46 am
make your self a private time map
one that shows your contribution in comparison with others
( i dont know how DO-able that is but...?)

maybe chart your own progress in the projects?

yeah... tooting your own horn in private is a little lame
but it may help?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:09 am
Turns out all I needed was a cup of coffee. All better now. Thanks guys.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:36 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:40 pm
And in the the spirit of the thread:

Everybody's doin' a brand new dance now.
Come on baby, do the loco-motion.
I know you'll get to like it if you give it a chance now.
My little baby sister can do it with ease,
It's easier than learnin' your abcs.
So, come on, come on, and do the loco-motion with me.

You've got to swing your hips now,
Oooo ...
Come on,
Oooo ...
Come on.
Jump up,
Oooo ...
Jump up.
Jump back,
Oooo ...
Jump back.
Oh, well, I think you've got the knack.
Oooo ...

Woah ... woah.
Now that you can do it, well, let's make a chain now.
A chuga-chuga motion like a railroad train, now.
Do it nice and easy now, and don't lose control,
A little bit of rhythm and a lot of soul,

Woah ... woah.
Move around the floor in a loco-motion.
Do it holdin' hands if'n you get the notion.
There's never been a dance that's so easy to do,
It even makes you happy when you're feelin' blue.

(repeat to fade)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:55 pm
All better? Good. Otherwise, just take the money, and run. Maybe there's a pay grade and job description that involves the word "Creative", and you're on the right track
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:10 pm
Thanks for the advice, roger. It is very good advice. The truth is that I'm not very creative anyway. Remind me not to skip my morning coffee again.
0 Replies