Trying to Plan a Thing in Boston - I Need Help

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:47 pm
Alright, so here's the story:

One of my friends has recently opened up to me and came out of the closet. Yeah, great for her, bad for me. She's expressed interest in me several times, but I have turned her down because I don't well, "swing" her way. After I turned her down a handful of times, she became rather depressed and questioned whether or not she should have let her sexuality interfere with our friendship. Considering we are both going to college in the Boston area, I suggested that we meet in the city for dinner and whatever else so we can talk things over and just hang out.

So, to make a long story short, she left the planning up to me and I have no idea what the hell do to or where to go. I'm from Connecticut so I'm not really firmilliar with Boston. I was looking at the Prudential Building's infamous "Top of the Hub" restaurant, but I don't want to give off the "date" vibe. If any of you have any reccomendations as to where to eat or some interesting things to do or see, please post. I'm open to any ideas...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 635 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:08 pm
Top of the Hub would definitely give off the date vibe.

Why does it matter where you go to eat? There's tons of restaurants. Newbury St., Fanueil Hall, Chinatown, North End.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:25 pm
You seem overly nervous for just having dinner with a friend. Sounds more like someone who is worried about impressing a date...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:36 pm
Lemmesee if I got this straight here - you've made a date to have an undate with someone, so you can discuss with your date why you can't/don't wanna date them ... is that about right?

I'm w/Slappy here, sorta. I'd sure wanna avoid anything/anyplace that hinted at romance or intamacy. For dinner, I think I'd go with someplace pretty well lit, busy, and not very upscale - someplace very public. For the hanging out thing, mebbe a sporting event, or something else well-lit, busy, and not particularly private - a bowling alley might be a thought.

I dunno really if any of that is good advice - I'm having trouble conceptualizing the situation. "Thanks - I'm flattered, but I just don't work that way. Don't worry though, that's no reason we can't be freinds" would be my first inclination. If the matter kept coming up, I think I'd prolly get succedingly less diplomatic with each repetition of the others advances. I've been hit on by cogenderists before, and that approach - or more properly, that avoidance - has always worked for me.

But then, I'm a guy, and not a particularly touchy-feely, warm-and-melty, sensitive, sunset walks on the beach kinda guy. I'm more into big dogs, power tools, pickup trucks, hunting and fishing gear, and contact sports than the deeper nuances of interpersonal relationships.

And I'll take whisky straight up over a piƱa colada anytime.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:44 pm
Oh, and if you ain't gonna eat that last piece of pizza ....
0 Replies

shotthebreeze

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:21 pm
you've pretty much got it right. make a date to undate...but be nice about it...

i think newberry street is a good idea...plenty of restauraunts and enough shopping to keep her eyes on something else other than...myself...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 11:48 am
There ya go. And welcome (in advance) to Boston.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:00 pm
Wow, I wasn't expecting this when I read the title to this thread! Fascinating.

Why not meet at park street station and wander around a bit until you find a restaurant?
0 Replies