Harold Pinter speaks up. Is he right?

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:06 pm
No, the regiment was not immediately disbanded, it was not disbanded until 1995.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
the
It is amazing how skewed a discussion can become.
Harold Pinter recieves a Nobel Prize in Literature. The Prize Committee gives him accolades of praise:

"Pinter's work "uncovers the precipice under every day
prattle and forces entry into oppression's closed doors."

"Pinter restored theatre to its basic elements -- an
enclosed space and unpredictable dialogue, where
people are at the mercy of each other and pretense
crumbles."

How revered is Pinter as a playwright? "His spare style full of threatening silences, has given rise to the adjective
"Pinteresque."

----------------------------------------

The outrage at his speech has eclipsed the solid, studied case for Pinter as the most significant and imporftant playwright in the English language. He has had a profound affect on the modern theatre. The man desrves his due.

Not too many years ago there was another artiist who created quite a stir. Her name was Lenie Riefenstahl. She was Hitler's official photographer. She directed a propogana film called "Triumph of the Will." It made a god-like figure out of Hitler.

She loved Hitler and the Nazis. But when she died a few years ago (aged,but still believing in the Reich),, she triggered a controversy over the quistion
Can an artist be judged for his work independent of his poiitics?

I would add that, in Lenie's case, most critics and academics
gave her a break. Is Pinter more reprehensible than
Lennie was?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:53 pm
I don't think, Mr. Falcon, that you can expect those most likely to comment here on Mr. Pinter, to do so with such a perspective. Sadly, for too many Americans, the measure of someone's worth is their willingness to "get on board," their willingness to stifle criticism . . .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:08 pm
Okay I'm back from holiday, have read up to here, and this morning only offer you my signature line.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:13 pm
"Patriotism is the love of one's own country, nationalism is the hatred of others"

Dimitri Sergeyevich Likhachev - Russian literary historian who died in 1999.
0 Replies