Animals have rights but is it OK to eat them??

nick17

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:11 am
I think we all pretty much accept that animals have rights, but there's not really that much of a big deal about EATING THEM. Let us know what you think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,933 • Replies: 230
No top replies

Turtlehead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:21 am
We should respect them but that doesn't mean we should stop eating them. Respect is treating them humanely and not starving or abusing them. We should kill them humanely with as little suffering as possible. Just think how you would like to be executed and apply those principles. I also believe we shouldn't kill for the sake of killing instead we should only kill if we are to eat the victim human and animal alike.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:45 am
No problem with eating them. So long as they are slaughtered humanely.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:46 am
I myself have no trouble eating many animals, and if it is done for my nutritional benefit or emotional benefit then why not? After all a few pork chops or a tasty steak work wonders on cheering me up and providing me with the nutrients I need to keep going.

Now, of course there are those who are against the animal sacrifice...I believe I have heard tell about a group known as vegetarians. They eschew all animals from fish to chicken to turkey to lamb to cow to frog to buffalo to elk and moose and many even refuse to eat eggs or touch such sumptuous dairy products as smoked gouda cheese or milk or anything in any way directly associated with being either animal or animal goods. I also agree with Wilso's comment on the critter being done in a humane way.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:53 am
I see people today claiming that we dont have to eat animal protein and I wonder why they think that?
Thousands and thousands of years of evolution for humans has included animal protein. What makes people think, in less then ONE generation, we are able to stop eating meat and be healthy?
We have evolved to be omnivores.. not herbivores.
Without vitamins and other ' chemicals' we create to substitute the incomplete diet, we would not survive with out meat. It is a necessity for our lives.
( sorry.. I just wanted to clarify, that wasn't aimed at any ONE person. It is just a general rant I have)

Life feeds on life. It takes life to create and sustain life.
I dont personally buy into the idea of ' animals are friends not food"

I think what needs a major overhaul is HOW these animals are raised and killed for food. That is the problem I think.
And if people want to protest that, they dont need to put their health on the line by removing essential nutrients from their diets. They need to stand up to the slaughter houses and such to get their points across.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:54 am
I eat animals on a regular basis.

Beginning next week, in a noble gesture to appease the PETA crowd, I will begin killing them beforehand.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:04 am
PETA.. Rolling Eyes
them some freaks of nature right there..
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:39 am
A simple examination of our tooth enamel proves that we aren't meant to be vegetarians. Vegetarian animals have a much thicker enamel to protect their teeth from grit and dirt. Carnivores don't need such protection. Unless you want to believe that we evolved with running tap water in mind. (Of course, the anti-evolutionists are completely irrelevant to this discussion(and most other discussions)).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:46 am
Great observation, Wilso. Anyone who thinks that humans should become herbivorous might take a look at our dental structure. We have been constructed to eat meat, and lots of it! (Though I, personally, prefer fish and seafood, but that's an acquired taste and has nothing to do with what nature intended.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:49 am
I prefer fish and seafood too. I haven't actually eaten steak in so long that I can't remember. But lot's of other types of meat.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:36 am
If I ever go out to eat with someone who believes we shouldn't eat meat because it's murder, I'll just make sure I order myself 2 dinners, to make up for their lack of meat consumption.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
I had a filet mignon wrapped in bacon last week. I can't remember ever eating such a delicious mingling of two animals.
Except for that one time in college when I got locked in the Tri-Delt house...
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:49 am
yes...do tell us more LTX about those college days...

As for mergers, I have insisted on my burgers being wrapped in bacon for years. Also had a few pork chops done that way...
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:01 am
I'm probably one of the most sincere believers in animal-rights that I know. I will pick up a stray or wounded animal at any cost. I have a great source of care for most wild animals I find, the Oklahoma Wildcare Rehabillitation Center, and local shelters and adoption agencies for domesticated pets.

But looking into today's future, I can easily see myself eating two meals (which is average for me) that include meat.

I have absolutely no problem eating meat. It's how we evolved, and I've never been one to deny science. The thing is, if I happend to be wandering out in the Safris in Africa, I don't think it would be too far-fetched to be afraid of being eaten myself. It's the circle of life. We eat what we can. We are the species were are today due to our eating meat (I highly doubt the cavemen of yeateryear gathered in groups to go hunt down a salad); and animals have also evolved eating meat. When hunder is involved, there is no difference between my meat and their meat, if they have to eat human, they will, and vice versa.

I will stick to eating meat, while also caring for my animals. I may be eating steak for dinner, but my dogs are eating chicken-chuncks-n-kibble while my cat chows down on some tuna, and my big ol' Cichlids are chasing down smaller Rosie Reds. Welcome to reality.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:12 am
Has anyone here ever had fried cat?

It's an acquired taste.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:14 am
uh, does it taste anything at all like baked Gus?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:16 am
Wouldn't know. I'm not into self consumption.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:17 am
Ok, maybe a little auto-erotica on occasion.

Does that count?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:18 am
humping a tail pipe..

hardly the same as eating a weenie
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:18 am
Do tell, shewolf.
0 Replies