Animals have rights but is it OK to eat them??

lezzles

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:31 pm
echi wrote:
lezzles--

I do not believe you love animals, for obvious reasons.

I do not advocate keeping wild animals as pets, nor do I support domestication, generally.

I do not WANT you to feel guilt for anything. Whenever I have killed an animal, on purpose, I did not feel good about it. And I am sure that no one feels good about it. I suppose that's my real point, here.

As for you being an "omnivorous predator", that's a personal decision. Go for it.

I resent your saying you don't believe I love animals. What obvious reasons? Because I am not ashamed to admit I eat meat without guilt?
I think you are confusing love (care, nurture, protect, respect) with the abomination inflicted on all animals when Disney first gave them human attributes.

Consider this......

You own a farm in Africa on which you run cattle (which feed the local population together with what they grow). You are considered to be a necessary industry by the local government.

You have a number of problems -
Dry conditions - because you have invested a lot of money to sink bores you have water and grass for your cattle but this also attracts the wild animals who move onto your property rather than roam elsewhere.

The wild animals can carry various diseases - tsetse fly, measles, etc which can destroy your herds. There are few predators (you have to keep their numbers down or they will kill the cattle) The numbers of the wild animals build quickly.

The predators are now being attracted by the large numbers of herbivores, the grass is insufficient to support the cattle and the wild animals for much longer.

Your choices -

You solve the problem or government rangers will carry out a cull for you. This involves a group of men armed with machine guns shooting at a herd of deer then moving on to the next lot. Most of the animals in these culls die slowly over many days, in pain, many eaten while still alive by hyenas.

You get friends, colleagues, employees and you go hunting yourself. You have a set of rules - if you wound an animal you follow up and you kill it.
You do not kill all the females in a group. You use as much as you can for food.

Or you tear your hair and rend your garments crying "I cannot hurt any of these animals, I love them all!" meanwhile the deer. the cattle and the vegetarians eat all the grass then die of starvation, the predators have a bit of a feast then they start to die of starvation, then the people die of starvation and then there's nobody left - but golly gee, there was a whole lot of schmaltzy loving being thrown about.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:35 pm
AR's are stupid. That much is obvious.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:38 pm
For flushd

I agree about the Yearling!
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:42 pm
lezzles--

I do not support domestication, as I stated earlier.
I don't understand why you resent my saying that I don't believe you love animals. Sorry if it was a bit rude, but I think it's a reasonable conclusion.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:13 pm
Eating animals has nothing to do with eating them. I could eat a hamburger while watching a cow save someone's life on animal planet.

Also, a lot of people cry for the cute animals, but for others not many people care. And if you are one who does care I must ask, why?

Why is it such a bad thing to follow the bill of survival of the fittest and further my survival, or enjoyment. I

f there were giants walking around picking off people, and we tasted as good as a fat T-Bone steak, well then I couldn't blame the giants.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:52 am
Carbon System--

In what way might the practice of humans eating other animals suggest that our species is the most successful? Successful at what?

And is meat consumption really an aid to our survival? From the news I've seen, animal domestication and the meat industry have led to some of the scariest diseases to threaten humankind in a while.
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 06:13 am
Yes humans have always eaten meat, yes we are omnivores. We do not however HAVE to eat meat. Humans did not always eat meat everyday (its hard work hunting with a club). Nowadays the consumtion of meat is exceptionally high. In australia, meat is eaten pretty much every meal (including breakfast). The health effects of this is not pretty (Australians suffer from being very fat on avg. - just like the Americans). One should ponder things like the fact that meat rots in the bowel for up to 10 years it think it was, and meat eaters tend to get bowel cancer in great numbers.
We are allowed to smoke, we can smoke, and we do smoke, but that is not to say smoking is a good thing to do. (I love the saying "X million smokers cant be wrong)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 07:17 am
Race, 10 years? Did you ever hear of Snopes.com?

You might want to stick with Myspace...
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:50 pm
echi wrote:
Carbon System--

In what way might the practice of humans eating other animals suggest that our species is the most successful? Successful at what?

And is meat consumption really an aid to our survival? From the news I've seen, animal domestication and the meat industry have led to some of the scariest diseases to threaten humankind in a while.

The statement about the giants and humans was not supposed to be connected with the survival of the fittest statement, except for the fact that the giants are the fittest and I cannot blame them.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:55 pm
Also, I don't think we owe anything to the animals to hold back from eating them.

If they taste good eat them!

Why do people try to use this as a reason to feel good about themselves?

----- "I resisted from eating another processed co w today, hooray for me. Look how good of a person I am, I'm not eating an animal, even thoiugh there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it"

BTW, it probably doesn't help much that I'm starving right now and I would love a fat pulled pork BBQ sandwich.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:07 am
CarbonSystem wrote:
Also, I don't think we owe anything to the animals to hold back from eating them.

If they taste good eat them!

Why do people try to use this as a reason to feel good about themselves?

----- "I resisted from eating another processed co w today, hooray for me. Look how good of a person I am, I'm not eating an animal, even thoiugh there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it"

That's interesting that you think that. I don't ever say to myself, "Woohoo, look at me... I'm a good boy". My motivation is simple: Whenever I have killed an animal, on purpose, it did not feel good. And when I learned that it is a completely unnecessary practice, I decided to stop participating.

Quote:
BTW, it probably doesn't help much that I'm starving right now and I would love a fat pulled pork BBQ sandwich.

That sounds amazing.
0 Replies