Blind on Blonde? Ann Coulter Heckled, Cuts Short Speech

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 11:30 am
Blind on Blonde? Ann Coulter Heckled, Cuts Short Speech
By E&P Staff
Published: December 07, 2005
STORRS, Ct.

Conservative columnist Ann Coulter gave up trying to finish a speech at the University of Connecticut on Wednesday night when boos and jeers from the audience became overwhelming. Coulter cut off the talk after 15 minutes and instead held a half-hour question-and-answer session.

"I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am," Coulter told the 2,600 people at Jorgensen Auditorium.

Coulter's appearance prompted protests from several groups, including Students Against Hate and the Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center. They criticized her for spreading a message of hate and intolerance.

Nearly 100 students gathered inside the Student Union for a rally against Coulter. About a half-dozen people held protest signs outside the auditorium.

After a book signing following her appearance, Coulter called the audience's reaction "typical."

Coulter, originally from New Canaan, Conn., has a history of bashing Democrats in best-selling books, frequent television appearances and speeches. Harding University in Arkansas dropped her from its lecture series in September, citing her abrasive image.

Last April, the president of the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota denounced a speech on the campus by Coulter, calling it hateful. In October 2004, University of Arizona police arrested two men who ran on stage and threw custard pies at Coulter; one of the pies glanced off her shoulder.

In her speech at UConn, Coulter called Bill Clinton an "executive buffoon" who won the presidency only because Ross Perot took 19 percent of the vote. She called California Sen. Barbara Boxer a good candidate for the Democrats because "she is a woman and she's learning disabled."

During the question-and-answer session, someone asked Coulter if she really was against a woman's right to vote.

"Not having women vote is a joke," she said, reversing comments she has previously made.

Eric Knudsen, a 19-year-old sophomore journalism and social welfare major at UConn, didn't attend the speech.

"We encourage diverse opinion at UConn, but this is blatant hate speech," said Knudsen, head of Students Against Hate.

Kareem Mohni, a 20-year-old junior and a member of a campus Republicans group, said he was disgusted with the Jorgensen crowd.

"It really appalled me that we're not able to come together as a group and listen to a different view in a respectful environment," he said
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 518 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 11:33 am
Damned pies- -missed.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
"I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am," Coulter told the 2,600 people at Jorgensen Auditorium.

Not juat a useless c**t, an ARROGANT useless c**t Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:25 pm
More like insecure, BVT.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:33 pm
Re: Blind on Blonde? Ann Coulter Heckled, Cuts Short Speech
Quote:
Eric Knudsen, a 19-year-old sophomore journalism and social welfare major at UConn, didn't attend the speech.

"We encourage diverse opinion at UConn, but this is blatant hate speech," said Knudsen, head of Students Against Hate.

What exactly makes it hate speech and how did he know if he didn't attend?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:24 pm
And these leftists will be the first to say they are supportive of "free speech," .... obviously, that is, unless it's a message they don't want to hear. They can't formulate an intelligent response, so they try and shout her down.

As Ann later said, if these folks object to her "hate speech," they must be in favor of restoring Saddam to power, encouraging partial birth abortions, and increasing the tax rate, because those ideas run counter to the speech she was going to give.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:25 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
And these leftists will be the first to say they are supportive of "free speech," .... obviously, that is, unless it's a message they don't want to hear. They can't formulate an intelligent response, so they try and shout her down.

As Ann later said, if these folks object to her "hate speech," they must be in favor of restoring Saddam to power, encouraging partial birth abortions, and increasing the tax rate, because those ideas run counter to the speech she was going to give.[/quote

not me, I think even a useless c**t has a right to be one and Ann Coulter has a perfect right to be the poster girl for them :wink:
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:53 pm
Re: Blind on Blonde? Ann Coulter Heckled, Cuts Short Speech
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Kareem Mohni, a 20-year-old junior and a member of a campus Republicans group, said he was disgusted with the Jorgensen crowd.

"It really appalled me that we're not able to come together as a group and listen to a different view in a respectful environment," he said

Based on Coulter's remark and the fact that Knudson didn't attend her speech it is quite likely that Knudson is smarter than Coulter. It is obvious that Coulter considers the campus Republicans that attended to be stupider than she is.

Considering she claims that her comment about women shouldn't vote is a joke, one is left to wonder if her entire speech and all her comments have any serious validity at all. Perhaps it is all one big joke that her audience is too stupid to get.
0 Replies